LegacyGT.com

The Motorcycle Thread V2

with the recent knee injury, i don't see crouching and knee-gripping, for long periods of time, in my future. So 2-up touring/cruising will be the way-ahead.

Still want a broad-flat torque curve that can get me up and moving easily, even bagged and top-cased. Wouldn't even mind a full-dressed goldwing, but that might be too heavy. Could see an indian chief vintage in the future just for rumble-fun.

k1600gt ?

• 4 weeks later...
So I saw this while waiting at a stoplight the other day... anybody know what it is?

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=239632&stc=1&d=1477327527

It looks like a CB, at least the rear frame does. Obviously quite done up, full front end swap and bunch of goodies. That rear swingarm though... The cb one is round/tubular. Tough a lot of those 70's 80's bikes look really similar. I like it though!

I love bikes! Don't have a street going one but just changed over this season from a CBR to an R6. Only have 1.5 seasons under my belt still learning a ton. Don't like yellow it'll be repainted to something more interesting after my last race this year

14257704_10154028734054926_1479884025761894605_o.jpg

14856166_10154158038384926_180683759967600511_o.jpg

So my Z1000 was totaled the other day -- someone backed up over it, it's totally smashed: forks, fairings, gas tank, bars, exhaust.

Any ideas on a replacement? Would like to keep it sporty but lose some weight (the Z is a pig.) Something 120+hp, less than 500 lbs, no full-on sportbikes, has to sound great.

Fz09? Light and great power (105ish?). Comfortable seating position too, and good price. I hear the new Fz1 is awesome although I don't love the way it looks

Speed triple maybe? Under 500 lbs too. Triumph makes a great bike. Rode my dad's '16 street tripe and was thoroughly satisfied

I'm personally a huge fan of the MV augustas and only hear good things about the new ones but hard to say what happening with that company and those bikes aren't cheap.

I can't remember the name but the more upright version of the Aprilia RSV4 is apparently pretty badass

The FZ09/XSR900 is on the short list. I'm also considering a streetfightering a crossplane R1.

I used to want a Speed Triple, but it's very similar to the Z1000 (130hp, almost 500 lbs.) I guess I will still consider them. They're not too popular nowadays with the new supernakeds and naked middleweights, so the price is right.

I would consider Italian metal, but I beat my bikes to death and I'm not sure I want to take the loss in value. Also, I commute nearly every day on it, so it needs to be rock solid.

+1 on the FZ09/XSR9. The motor is an absolute gem. I'd lean toward the XSR as I like the retro look, and IIRC they improved the suspension over the FZ9. You could probably find an FZ9 dirt cheap used and throw some $$ at the suspension as an alternative.

• 3 weeks later...

awesome! great bikes those triumphs. Never ridden the speed but took a ride on my dad's street triple and it was a blast. feels small, handles great. Nice!

What do you guys think of this bike? it's the Husqvarna Vitpilen. About to come out with the 401 which will borrow the 390 KTM motor. Shortly after they will come out with a 701 which rumor has it will have the same motor as the duke 690. I think they should wait and toss that new twin 800 motor KTM came out with. It's different but I think I'm going to try and buy the 701 when it comes out ha

http://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/xl_1x_/public/images/2016/11/2017-husqvarna-401-vitpilen-06.jpg?itok=jaRaA9vP

http://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/xl_1x_/public/images/2016/11/2017-husqvarna-401-vitpilen-03.jpg?itok=4slXmSMn

What ever happened to the class of bikes that used to race on tight karting tracks. I think they had motocross chassis but small diameter street tires. Can't remember what they were called. Supermoto?

Yup Supermoto. They seemed like a short lived fad. Super cool platforms especially when you modified the suspension for slightly less travel compared to the dirtbike variant. I kinda want one but I'd rather have a naked sport bike.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Supermotors are fun. But they get old fast IMO unless all you do is ride around small tight areas for short periods of time. Get one on the freeway or long drives and you will wish you had more power and different gearing. Supermotos also require a complete tire change to do any real off road riding.

Supermotors are fun. But they get old fast IMO unless all you do is ride around small tight areas for short periods of time. Get one on the freeway or long drives and you will wish you had more power and different gearing. Supermotos also require a complete tire change to do any real off road riding.

This. They suck for pretty much everything except hooning.

Most guys who want to switch street/dirt have two sets of wheels... easiest way to swap, plus you want 21" front for dirt and 17" front for pavement...

Yep. But most guys don't even use them off road from what I see. Who wants to jack up their street bike messing around off road? Stuff gets damaged when riding hard off road. Best way is too just drop the 2 grand on a crf250r for off road and have a street bike for the street.

Night and day difference! Depends on what you are using it for. I only have experience on the track and I'd say the r6 is much better for that. It has much better power (this particular bike has a supersport motor ~122rwhp on 91/100, 130whp on MR12) so it's kind of a bad example ha. But that being said Hondas aren't known for having a ton of power compared to other supersports.

Otherwise I think the r6 handles better, in a different way. it takes more to muscle the bike around but when you're in the corner it just feels like it's locked in better than the Honda.

That being said I really like the ergonomics of the Honda much more. it's just more comfortable to me, feels like it's set up better as a whole. If I had to choose between the CBR and the R6 for a street bike I'd sooner grab a CBR mostly for that reason. The CBR was a super fun bike feels like you could just toss it all over the place. It's a more fun bike but the lap times won't be as good. On the street it doesn't really matter ha

Brakes on both are fantastic

Supermoto bikes are awesome! I want one someday for offseason training. That's super popular with road racing guys

• 3 weeks later...

Love bikes and have had at least one in the garage for couple of decades. Here are the two that are running at the moment. Got a few project bikes between my and my brothers garage too. Sometimes I think heroin addiction would be cheaper and easier to shake... :lol:

'15 Aprilia Tuono. Up at the Ridge for a track day.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn141/Drazengalic/20160821_114730.jpg

'07 Husky 610 Supermoto

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn141/Drazengalic/20160810_192119.jpg

And the tow rig...

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn141/Drazengalic/20160619_055314.jpg