LegacyGT.com

trouble shoot help needed.

i will research this tomorrow. thanks for suggestion. sure wish i had both green plugs, not sure how i will reset ecu if i ever get all this sorted out?

ebay maf was also missing its tang that holds plug from coming off.

do i simply remove maf from car, spray wire, let dry, then reinstall?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2460-1475712464.jpg

Yes, I (but not everyone) recommend using dedicated MAF cleaner. If you use brake cleaner be careful as too strong a spray may damage the sensor.

And disconnecting the NEGative battery cable overnight should clear the codes....the other green connector is probably still taped to another wire harness.

looking at my 2 pics, i saw something that looked like the plug i thought was missing. i have been upside down under my dash for probably 30 mins and thought i was barely toughing it and could see it. turned out my TCU (i think) is attached in that area with 2 nuts but 1 was missing. seems someone had it off before and when they put it back they buried the green plug behind it.

bottom line is, i have 2 black and 2 green plugs, as it should be.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/engine.html

started my car about 20mins prior to starting my 3 hr drive. when I got in my car and begun my drive, my car stalled out probably 20 times +- in the first 2-3 miles, each time I put it in neutral and started it up, some of the times I was able to keep it from stalling with WILD GA PEDDLEING. I drove all highways at pretty steady speeds and may have felt 2 hickups but otherwise car drove smoothly.

so far I tried a different cam pos sensor, a different maf, 16oz seafoam into iacv, new fuel filter.

tomorrow I will pick up some more, trans fluid dex/merc, a fuel pressure guage, and a long skinny funnel, at advancedauto.

binding in reverse is real bad but did not feel it driving forward to 3 hrs. i'd really like to put a fwd auto trans in it as this awd auto trans binding issue has gotten OLD.

that that it is morning, and I am awake, I am thinking, wondering really, if this could be a symptom of iacv being dirty, I mean, my car was idleing happily befiore my drive, but under load it began to stall.

I hope this car is able to do a few more round trips while I get another engine in my other car.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2460-1463613852.jpg

friday when i left work, my car stalled out 15-20 times in 2-3 miles BUT THEN it ran smoothly the rest of my trip.

this morning i expected to have issues but it ran smooth all the way.

so i'm thinking the new fuel filter and seafoam thru iacv, did the trick.

now though my trans is shot. :mad: i can't drive it more than a few feet backwards before the binding is real bad. so for a while i am going to park it where i can pull out of spot in forward. while i get my other car running again.

my car is an auto but i am open to converting it to 5 spd. found a 5 spd 1991 semi near by for cheapish. my car is pretty rust free and engine runs smooth, i think it has many miles to go if i could get trans working reasonably well.

well it seems that my car decided it was not fixed. and today after taking 3 150 mile trips, began to act up again, quite strongly. guess I'll pull some plugs to see what they look like.

when I got car I was under the impression that it was well maintained but after seeing fuel filter, i'm thinking maybe it wasn't after all.

anyone think it could be TPS? I have my doubts cause although I need to throttle throttle to keep car running, I get no feeling that there are dead spots on tps when doing so.

I got a 0-60 psi fuel guage but am waiting on the barb gizmo to install it inline. as I do wonder if I have an INTERMITTANT fuel pump or fuel regulator issue.

but maybe I need to do as previously suggested, remove and thoroughly clean my IACV. maybe the seafoam was just a short lived improvement.

just removed iacv.

busted the tee that is inline with the pcv valve. :mad:

does have dirty in it but shaft seems to turn pretty easily.

pulled pcv valve too and it seems to have decent action too.

need to find that pvc line tee, any ideas?

link to part numbers I need, hoses and conector

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/tech.html

now to see if the stuff is available.

got to get some brake clean to clean iacv.

will get some maf cleaner while I am there.

vacuumed out most of those acorns while I was in there.

see larger pics here - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=577830

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2460-1476462756_thumb.jpg

my other car is a Porsche 914 and when they have their orig fuel injected engines in then, vacuum leaks is a big problem with them too.

looking at the hoses I removed to remove my iacv, it seems they all got hard from heat and age. I can see how old hoses can cause leaks. I hit one hose with a hammer to break loose the plastic pcv connector broken inside it, and the hose broke like it was plastic itself.

gonna replace, hoses, 807512612, 807519082, 807515842, and pcv connector 11821aa221, at minimum.

iacv clean and tomorrow i will remove and clean maf, got the right stuff.

note: when cleaning iacv, be sure to have some straight brushes, a toothbrush won't do.

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely change your plugs, and plug wires while you're at it.

I had some problems a bit after I bought my 94, and I replaced the TPS, which did rattle, with a salvage yard TPS but the problem continued. Finally, and thinking something similar that the car had been maintained, I changed the plugs to find they were way out of gap. The previous owner had decided to have super long lasting plugs put in a super long time prior. Fortunately the NGK V-Power spark plugs are pretty inexpensive.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

cleaned iavc and maf. i received the hoses and gasket, and stopped at advanceauto to get one hose similar to the big hose to use in place of the no longer big hose (the hose from iacv to intake tube. i put it back together, it ran for a bit but then stalled. i restarted it and it stalled right away. this weekend i am gonna put a fuel pressure guage on it, to see if maybe my fuel pressure is low.

*note: fwiw: the iacv on an automatic car is different than the iacv on a manual car. thus some of the hoses are different too.

• 2 weeks later...
ok, fuel pressure guage installed. -- car seems to run at about 28 psi initially but I just let it run for about an hour and noticed pressure at about 24 psi and engine running a but rough. when I shut down engine I noticed pressure rose to about 32 psi. seems engine smoothed out some when I opened the throttle. car is not registered currently, so this is all in driveway, parked. thoughts? note car seems to not be stalling out anymore, but my test is limited to simply let care run parked.

Archived