LegacyGT.com

💡 [NEW] Xtreme LED Headlight & Fog Light Kits 💡

XenonDepot

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

@05RedGTWagon - If your vehicle uses the low beam bulb as a DRL (daytime running light) bulb, then you would need to get the canbus module. If your vehicle has a dust cover on the back of the headlight then you would most likely need to drill a hole in that cover. Both our LED and HID kits will come with a rubber grommet that will enable you to reseal the housing.

@drunkinmonk - If your low beam is used as a DRL then you would need to purchase the canbus module.

The canbus module basically modulates the power going to the LED driver or HID ballast, and ensures that it sees a stable 12V.

Steve

A more in depth review will be coming:

First off packaging is very thorough form molded foam surrounding the bulbs and ballasts in a well crafted box.

once open each light is packaged individually, and includes install write up, and zip ties (wish they were longer ones)

I am equipped with Grimmspeed CAI so to begin install I had to undue the 2x 10mm nuts holding the box the fender wall.

once removed and shimmied over, I can open the dust cap and remove old bulb.

The Beauty of these LED is the flexible heatsink as to allow fitment in our housings.

my dust caps are already drilled with 1in diameter hole from a previous HID install.

The supplied grommet seals perfectly.

The bulb is recommended to be oriented at the "9 & 3" location or East/ West not North/ South

H7 bulbs have the notch just about the 7o clock angle, the bulb can be oriented perfectly because of the adjustment built in. simple spin to desired point!

I plugged in the power connection and tucked it into the housing folded the heatsink with 2 strips left 2 strips right and the dust cap reinstalled perfectly. Zip tied the harness out of the way and boom passenger side done

For the driver side simple move the washer fill out of the way and you can access the dust cap easily. if you have fat hands you might like to remove battery or atleast loosen up the tie down and shimmy it over.

Bulb installs in the same fashion and dust cap threaded back on no issues

First light impression is outstanding as compared to halogen,

has been a long time since I had HID in these housings but id say these LED are cleaner and brighter, and most certainly a more thorough light spread.

1068418458_lights004.thumb.JPG.b035be15806ab08841e6247bb91637ce.JPG

1352371084_lights005.thumb.JPG.52d8890744ef971a5b3b7cf5913436bd.JPG

• 1 month later...

So whats the deal on the projector housings with these things? Is everybody using the stock halogen projectors ok? or have you all done a HID projector?

Just had a bulb burn out on my 2012 legacy. Being that temps are single digits here i'm not too happy about replacing them. Would rather do it well and do it right!

So whats the deal on the projector housings with these things? Is everybody using the stock halogen projectors ok? or have you all done a HID projector?

Just had a bulb burn out on my 2012 legacy. Being that temps are single digits here i'm not too happy about replacing them. Would rather do it well and do it right!

They usually throw a HID kit in the halogen projectors and think that's fine, but yes your approach is good.

I'd take apart the headlights (easy to do, only need a heat gun or stick it in the oven) and put in 'black series' projectors (RX330 non-AFS, Maxima, Subaru) or something like mini D2S 4.0 if you want bi-xenon (size wise, it should fit with minimal modding). Avoid mini H1 if you can.

I'm happy with low beam only, so my next project is to fit some AP1 S2000 projectors in there ;) (I have HIR1 bulbs coming for high beam). My car has OEM HID with self levelling, so consider that (i.e. aim your lights properly, don't have them too high).

For ballasts I suggest Denso slim (not sure if you can shove those under the halogen housing, there might be a cutout for it, OEM ones use Denso slim) or DLT F3 Fastbright (can find on aliexpress).

More info on hidplanet.

• 3 weeks later...
A more in depth review will be coming:

First off packaging is very thorough form molded foam surrounding the bulbs and ballasts in a well crafted box.

once open each light is packaged individually, and includes install write up, and zip ties (wish they were longer ones)

I am equipped with Grimmspeed CAI so to begin install I had to undue the 2x 10mm nuts holding the box the fender wall.

once removed and shimmied over, I can open the dust cap and remove old bulb.

The Beauty of these LED is the flexible heatsink as to allow fitment in our housings.

my dust caps are already drilled with 1in diameter hole from a previous HID install.

The supplied grommet seals perfectly.

The bulb is recommended to be oriented at the "9 & 3" location or East/ West not North/ South

H7 bulbs have the notch just about the 7o clock angle, the bulb can be oriented perfectly because of the adjustment built in. simple spin to desired point!

I plugged in the power connection and tucked it into the housing folded the heatsink with 2 strips left 2 strips right and the dust cap reinstalled perfectly. Zip tied the harness out of the way and boom passenger side done

For the driver side simple move the washer fill out of the way and you can access the dust cap easily. if you have fat hands you might like to remove battery or atleast loosen up the tie down and shimmy it over.

Bulb installs in the same fashion and dust cap threaded back on no issues

First light impression is outstanding as compared to halogen,

has been a long time since I had HID in these housings but id say these LED are cleaner and brighter, and most certainly a more thorough light spread.

Wish you took pics of your install.

For those interested, I'm going to be installing these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017UWKQWW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1OEHI7VK2WQ6J&coliid=I37U25Q2M0TT55&psc=1

On my car here in the next week or so. I need to get them ordered off Amazon and some spare dust caps in case I screw up. Of course I'll have before and after pics. I'll probably post a new thread when they're in.

MILEAGE UPDATE:

About 1000mi logged since install, lots of dark road mountain driving on my new commute home. These LEDS crank, clean light, sharp cutoff. I need to fix my drivers headlight housing somehow its canted just slightly.

these are a no joke upgrade, fit inside our housing easily, and just perform. Its a winner all around!!

Do the 9005 LEDs run two different brightness levels to allow for use as a DRL? (I think that's what they do based on your website, but I couldn't find specifics)

Hi,

No, they can only operate properly at one intensity -- either on, or off. They cannot dim like a halogen bulb.

Steve

@SWP-LegacyGT - There is no way those bulbs are putting out anything near 3600 lumens per bulb -- don't fall for it.

Steve

Light output being what it is will be an upgrade over the stock halogens but I get your point.

Ninja Edit: So it looks like the reason why the rest of the market bulbs are cheaper is the design isn't as solid. I'm curious why the power adapter would be in behind the grommet since to affix the dust cap, you'd only want the main power line to the bulb in there. I'm also guessing that you guys don't use a fan design since those can fail, cause noise etc. of which why you went with the flexible heatsink? May end up getting a pair of your guys' bulbs just because design looks to be better than what else is on the market.

@SWP-LegacyGT - We prefer that customers mount the driver outside the headlight assembly because it dissipates heat on it's own. You've already got a heatsink in your headlight housing (the mesh), so it's best to mount the driver on the outside so that it gives the heatsink more space to dissipate the heat into.

Steve

Sorry, maybe I wasn't specific enough: You have the bulb, heat sinks and the power plug on the left side of the grommet and the driver on the right side; With a dust cover on the Legacy's, I would've thought the power connector to the H7 plug it would be on the outside of the grommet. Just an observation.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't specific enough: You have the bulb, heat sinks and the power plug on the left side of the grommet and the driver on the right side; With a dust cover on the Legacy's, I would've thought the power connector to the H7 plug it would be on the outside of the grommet. Just an observation.

Are you saying the OEM H7 connector is on the outside of the dust cover? If that is the case, how does your H7 halogen bulb connect to it then?

- Danny

No, they can only operate properly at one intensity -- either on, or off. They cannot dim like a halogen bulb.

Thanks for the reply - saw that they were for DRLs on the website and thought maybe they were dual intensity or something like that... I thought I had seen somewhere that such a system was going to be available. I'd be all over a 9005 kit if it would work as both DRLs and high beams. (these look really nice, which would be a plus since they'd be clearly visible in the headlight housing)

Archived