LegacyGT.com

Moving to CA

need bb

I took a job in the Bay Area and I am debating on bringing my LGT. I have heard many stories about the difficult CA emissions, and I don't want to bring my car to then have to de-mod everything.

If I bring my LGT will I need to change anything besides retuning for 91 octane?

Below is my mod list:

• Kinugawa TD05-20G
  • DW 850cc sidefeeds
  • Walbro 255
  • Grimmspeed TMIC
  • K&N Typhoon
  • Perrin turbo inlet
  • Grimmspeed EBCS
  • Forge BPV
  • Grimmspeed EWG Uppipe
  • CNT catted downpipe
  • SPT Catback

Thanks

Congrats on the job. Tech related?

Note: I'm not an expert, but I've gone through smog 3 or 4 times now.

-non-OEM downpipe is most likely automatic fail, catted or not

The other visible mods will tip off the inspector to look more closely.

-if the turbo is noticeably different from OEM (for example, shiny, clearly says Kinugawa, etc)

-not sure about TMIC - I've heard it MAY be allowed.

-K&N

-EBCS

-BPV

-Uppipe, if visible

Note: I have gutted OEM pipes, and have always passed. I put on a CNT pipe + Grimmspeed TMIC this summer, but am planning to remove them for smog in the fall, then put back on after.

They've never seen/complained about my DW 650s or Walbro - they don't look that far. But they do go under the car with a mirror to check for non-OEM pipes and/or missing cats. My BNR16 is one of the older ones that's in an original OEM VF40 housing, so it looks stock. Accessport and RomRaider tunes haven't been a problem, as long as the sensors are ready.

That does sounds like a lot of stuff to remove. If you get lucky and the inspector doesn't notice the non-OEM turbo related stuff, then just putting stock pipes/heatshields/intake/TMIC back might do the trick. But it's not a given.

Again, I'm not an expert, so wait to hear others' advice as well. Good luck!

Intercoolers can be changed without an issue. It's everything else. I pass with a BNR turbo and an AVO uppipe, along with an AVO TMIC. I suggest going to a smog place in a strip mall at the busiest time possible, they are less thorough. Last time the guy did the visual from 3ft away from the engine compartment. Some of these independent places will be crawling around looking for everything.

That's a good point. One of the only times you don't want someone detailed oriented to look at your car.

The TMIC seems fussy. Looking at the CA law books, I think it says - if the vehicle originally came with a TMIC you can replace the TMIC - as long as the BPV remains OEM. But, it's up to the Tech performing the visual.

Archived