LegacyGT.com

Heat shields...

MaStaMooN

Finally decided to kill my rattle in hopes of killing some "knock" picked up by BtSsm, so I removed the last piece of heatshield I had left.

After looking at the bolts I thought this was gonna be a tough removal but sprayed them all down with b-12 chemtool and let it sit for a bit as I planned my real method of removal knowing those bolts weren't gonna go anywhere.

Tried some tin snips to see if cutting them off was gonna work.. Not with the ones I have. Used a long screw driver to see if I could fatigue the metal at all, no. Lastly looked over at my dremmel I haven't touched in ages... Argh.

Soooo before I started really getting at it I threw a socket on one of the bolts and gave it a go, hoping to either twist the head off or have it break free... Then it happened! It moved, broke free and unbolted without issue.. Tried the next one... Boom removed easily.. Figured the last one was going to be the trouble maker... Boom.. Came loose without fanfare.

Thought the trouble was over at that point... But then tried to get the top of the heat shield off from between the manifold and the head. Many minutes of pushing, pulling, bending cursing, yelling, giving up, going at it again, I was able to finally wiggle it out of there.

So glad that went easy. Was expecting much worse with a 120k northeast, 12 year old car.

Now I have to figure out if it's worth trying to do some sort of shielding or wrap, just near the oil filter.

Good day.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160821/9e6376eca4c82c73d296daf455efb84d.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160821/83d614f27df2c072d350d2f1e4951ebe.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Is there such a thing as blankets for exhaust manifolds? Like a turbo blanket? Really paranoid about running no shielding down there but don't like the idea of wrapping due to fire since its so close to the oil filter that spits oil everywhere during an oil change. Dont want to have to drop the undertray every oil change to wrap in foil or something.

Could always drop them and have them coated, buy new shields, buy somebody elses used manifolds with intact shields... but seems like a blanket of some sort would work great and be the least time consuming/expensive.

• 4 weeks later...

I removed one of mine this weekend, I was surprised that the head didn't sheer off either. Luckily Subaru was smart enough to use thick bolts (12mm heads). Everytime I see a 10mm head bolt I pray that it wont break off, which it usually does :(.

I would love to find a stainless steel heat shield option for these headers.

I wouldn't worry about oil combustion, engine oil autoignition temps are in 700F's, you got ways to go unless your exhaust is glowing red from being clogged.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived