LegacyGT.com

Anyone have a good mild tune for an 05 LGT 5EAT?

z28dreams

Hi all,

I've been running an open source tune on my 05 LGT 5EAT for a while, but noticed there's some fine knock correction.

I was using one that was open sourced on Romraider (have the rev3 version).

Does anyone have a milder version of that tune that I could try to run instead?

I don't know enough about tuning to change the values myself, and at this point don't want to pay $300 for a tune since it's an 11 year old car.

I've also since upgraded to a macbook. ECUedit seems to have an OSX version, but I'm guessing with romraider/learning view I'd have to run bootcamp?

Soooo make someone else do the grunt work and get it for free?

It's worth $200 to get an etune just to keep your car running as it should no?

Call it preventative maintenance

Sent from your bedroom closet ]-.-[

I don't know enough about tuning to change the values myself, and at this point don't want to pay $300 for a tune since it's an 11 year old car.

Decide if that $300 or so is worth it to have the car run well.

you might want to contact covertrussian PM him, he has done a lot with tuning his Legacy GT.

Or if you know what your doing you might want to contact my Tuner http://www.tuningalliance.com for a MAP. He has stopped doing open source tuning because of the time he spends teaching people what they need to do, which is why other Tuners have stopped doing open source tuning. It's hard to make money when you have to spend time teaching someone.

But if your up to speed, and he just has to clean up your MAP. he might be able to help. I can't speak for him or his time, but he is one of the best Tuners to have tune your car.

If you lay out your qualifications he might be able to help. I know he's busy right now trying to get his shop up and running for a Sept 15th opening.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Mega Users

Dude. If you're willing to flash an open source tune yourself, you need to know how to do basic adjustments to it. None of those are flash and go. Every tuner that posts one there will tell you it's a starting point. YOU have to make sure it's running safe and adjust accordingly.

Your options are simple. Do it yourself by taking the time to learn or pay someone else to do it. Being a lazy ass is not an option.

May be there's a reason Cobb AP cost some much...may be it's because it does everything right the first time and is easy for Tuners to make adjustments, read your data log, send you a updated map.

So may be its true, you get what you pay for.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

May be there's a reason Cobb AP cost some much...may be it's because it does everything right the first time and is easy for Tuners to make adjustments, read your data log, send you a updated map.

You mean just like the tatrix/romraider does at 1/2 the price? You buy a tatrix, you contact you favorite E tuner and they do the exact same thing. Except you actualy know whats being done to your car, not just that it has a 'cobb tune' on it.

Apparently its not that easy. I see some of the Tuners have stopped doing open source tuning.

May be I'm wrong here in thinking one of the issues is a Tuner spends his time teaching the customer how to use the cable and laptop, I assume that not everyone is really that good at downloading and installing the program.

Does that program log all the things Cobb AP does ?

I will say once again, I'm not good with computers, I feel very lucky to have Mike Kinsman a 15 minute ride from my house. He's opening a shop soon that's about 10 minutes from the house, how lucky can I get.

Did you find a fix for your problem ?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rr-logger-disconnectingi-255104.html

Accessport is totally worth the money. Its super easy to use, everyone tunes for it, and it has guages built in to monitor everything important. Spend the money wisely the first time and have it done right.

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Yes.

You mean just like the tatrix/romraider does at 1/2 the price? You buy a tatrix, you contact you favorite E tuner and they do the exact same thing. Except you actualy know whats being done to your car, not just that it has a 'cobb tune' on it.

Not so much. Lots of issues with consistency and reliability when it comes to the cable. And you can know exactly what's being done to your car on the AP, too. Custom tuning via the AP is easy-peasy, and super fast.

If the cable/OS works for you, great. Have you ever run an AccessPort? Having tried just about every tuning platform out there, I'll take the AP. Got one in both the Legacy and the Saabaru :)

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

• Mega Users

Cable takes some extra work. When you're dealing with customers that are intimidated by computers, I'm sure it can be really frustrating.

I don't look at it as getting what you pay for. That implies that romraider is a crappy tool. That's very much not the case. It's a powerful tool that's worth a lot but happens to be free.

It's money vs time/effort. You can pay for the convenience or you can take the time to learn.

To be clear, I wasn't looking for a "perfect tune", but rather a fairly safe open source tune to start with.

The one I used from mickeyd/romraider was showing some fine knock right off the bat, so I figured it was a bit on the aggressive side.

I still planned on doing some logging and using learning view to see how it held up.

I'm running stock at the moment to play it safe until I find something.

As stated earlier, PM covertrussian. He has a stage 0 tune modified from multiple sources, inlcuding his own tweaks.

Long post:

As for me, I started with an AP. I found it lacking in its logging and such. I used accesstuner race and still wasn't satisfied so I sold it and bought an OP2.

After modifying my car past mickeyd levels, I had an opensource dyno tune. It also wasn't what I was after so I started reading often from multiple sources (online and text). I found my protune to have shortcuts and corners cut which I did not like and realized I would only be happy if i did it myself.

So I dove in and really started my own stuff. I loved the customization I could have. I used the sd logging of the OP2 so I didn't need a laptop in my car. But alas the OP2 sd logging through k-line lacked speed and resolution.

My best and final solution has been through the BTSSM dongle, an old tablet and the BTSSM app. I log many custom parameters including my wideband through the tgv connector. I feel this setup has endless possibility and usefulness.

Tl;dr:

The AP is great for someone who wants a plug and play tuning solution. People can spend an additional $200-300 for a custom e-tune. However, you'll no longer be able to tweak your own tunes without an additonal $150 to cobb now to get accesstuner race.

If you want true customization and want things to be perfect, learn it yourself and do it yourself with btssm and a cable (even a cheap one just to flash).

• Mega Users
As stated earlier, PM covertrussian. He has a stage 0 tune modified from multiple sources, inlcuding his own tweaks.

OP is a covert russian?

Stage 0 tune? like stock boost? If he's on stock boost and mickyd's timing/fueling, then he might be compensating for an issue with tuning. Maybe a vac leak or something. That doesn't sound right. They are very conservative tunes.

OP is a covert russian?

Stage 0 tune? like stock boost? If he's on stock boost and mickyd's timing/fueling, then he might be compensating for an issue with tuning. Maybe a vac leak or something. That doesn't sound right. They are very conservative tunes.

Stage 0 as in no modifications to car. The tune is for reliability. 0 ol/cl delays and such.

• Mega Users
Stage 1 is no mods with higher boost. Either way, it should be as simple as stopping a hair of timing where it shows up consistently. If that doesn't work, then there's likely a problem. OP should post a learning view.

Yes.

Not so much. Lots of issues with consistency and reliability when it comes to the cable. And you can know exactly what's being done to your car on the AP, too. Custom tuning via the AP is easy-peasy, and super fast.

If the cable/OS works for you, great. Have you ever run an AccessPort? Having tried just about every tuning platform out there, I'll take the AP. Got one in both the Legacy and the Saabaru :)

I wouldn't agree that there's lots of issues with consistency/reliability. If you're going to be tuning your own car, then if you don't know how to deal or learn how to deal with basic computer issues, you have bigger problems. The open-source solution is no more complex than an AP. Getting the base tune dialed in is quicker with an AP because of the real-time maps, but there isn't much else you get (for a regular, single-fuel tune). Logging is significantly better with BtSsm and an OP than an AP, as well.

rhino6303: I see that Cobb will be forcing a third-party training course now for ATR downloads once it's re-released? Is that what you mean by the extra money to be able to make your own tunes with an AP now? That's absolutely asinine. :mad:

Stage 1 is no mods with higher boost. Either way, it should be as simple as stopping a hair of timing where it shows up consistently. If that doesn't work, then there's likely a problem. OP should post a learning view.

Stage 1 can also consist of a catless UP, which would be consider a mod on an '05 & '06.

My wife's balls are delicious.

rhino6303: I see that Cobb will be forcing a third-party training course now for ATR downloads once it's re-released? Is that what you mean by the extra money to be able to make your own tunes with an AP now? That's absolutely asinine. :mad:

Yeah. That's the extra $150 I was referring to.

• Mega Users
Stage 1 can also consist of a catless UP, which would be consider a mod on an '05 & '06.

Up pipe doesn't really effect anything though. Not enough to make a super conservative tune unsafe. Boost will build up a hair faster. The dp is by far the biggest restriction.

OP is a covert russian?

Since this section doesn't let me upload .hex/.bin's I uploaded them to Romraider forums. The changes are described below in detail, so you can make them yourself, or you can just download the Stage 0 tunes from Romraider thread.

----------------------------------------

These maps are meant for those that want to remain stock but would like a safer tune and get better gas mileage. They only change a few tables, do not increase boost, but torque should go up since they do remove leanness. These tunes are for 05 5MT's (A2WC522N), but they should work on all 05-06 LGT's 5MT and AT, just manually copy the changes over.

Safety Changes

These tunes fix the two major flaws with the stock Tunes...

Closed to Open Loop Delay - Causes the car to lean out in boost for 1k rpm, this tune zeroes out the delay to be 0.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/ECU/CL%20to%20OL%20Delay/CLtoOLDelay.png

Timing Compensation Per Cylinder - Stock tune adds 2.11* for cylinder two and four, this tune zeroes out all compensation tables.

Stock map:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/ECU/Timing%20Compensation/TimingComp-Stock.png

New map:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/ECU/Timing%20Compensation/TimingComp-Zeroed.png

AVCS Changes

All of these tunes already have CL to OL Delay disabled and Timing Compensation zeroed out, choose your tune based on which ever AVCS map you feel like running.

I personally made these with catless up pipe already in place, your gas mileage gains may vary with the restrictive catted up pipe. I don't suggest running the 15* AVCS map on catted up pipe cars, even 10* might be pushing it so do watch your learning views!

Stock Map - For catted up pipe stock setups

My Personal MPG: 24.6mpg Highway

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/ECU/AVCS/05LGTStockAVCS.png

AVCS 10 Map - For catless up pipes, but should be safe for catted up pipes too.

My Personal MPG: 26.1mpg (+1.5mpg) Highway

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/ECU/AVCS/AVCS10.png

AVCS 15 Map - For catless up pipes, I don't suggest this for catted up pipes, run at your own risk

My Personal MPG: 28.1mpg (+3.5mpg) Highway

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/ECU/AVCS/AVCS15v11.png

The above is what I was referring to. Apparently you don't even need to pm him. He's posted them on romraider.

I had a COBB AP several years ago. Ran a Stage 1 only. When I started to Modify and Build my car...myself...a remote/laptop tuner became a much better option. The shelved...or even modded tunes for the AP were not going to work for my building process.

I do not pay someone else to figure out what's wrong with my and then have them modify it for, my hands do it all. My remote tuner handles the 000s and 111s. We work together if diagnostics are involved and he writes me ROMs. As far as reliability and the tactrix. The tactrix is top quality and Mike has great service...as well as other services.

The quality of the laptop and the driver...well that's just like racing. You use crap, you will get crap. If you are tuning and driving...you better buck up and decide to get involved.

If you want to to pay...someone else to play...and you want plug-and-play, set and forget...get the COBB AP. If you want something more involving, evolving, and fluid...then I suggest you contact.

west_minist@xtremeracingtuning.com

Effective, progressive Subaru Tuning.

CKE SSP product information and sales : chris.ckessp@gmail.com

This is incorrect, Cobb offers more tables that we use to give our customers the best tune possible for their cars. Also with the AP it allows you for easier use of logging and can display values live via the 6 gauges options (v3). Cobb is a much better platform for us to tune on and again, it provides more tables defined in the ECU.

Apparently its not that easy. I see some of the Tuners have stopped doing open source tuning.

May be I'm wrong here in thinking one of the issues is a Tuner spends his time teaching the customer how to use the cable and laptop, I assume that not everyone is really that good at downloading and installing the program.

Does that program log all the things Cobb AP does ?

I will say once again, I'm not good with computers, I feel very lucky to have Mike Kinsman a 15 minute ride from my house. He's opening a shop soon that's about 10 minutes from the house, how lucky can I get.

Did you find a fix for your problem ?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rr-logger-disconnectingi-255104.html

:cool:

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Tl;dr:

The AP is great for someone who wants a plug and play tuning solution. People can spend an additional $

200-300 for a custom e-tune. However, you'll no longer be able to tweak your own tunes without an additonal $150 to cobb now to get accesstuner race.

Yeah. That's the extra $150 I was referring to.

Sorry if this is off topic, but Uff, really? :mad: When I bought new laptop a couple months back and went to Cobb's site to get a fresh download of ATR for it, I noticed the link either wasn't there or was broken. Guess that explains things.

Fortunately I'm a digital hoarder and had saved off copies of the ATR installers that I got from Cobb when I had my AP v2 and again when I got my AP v3. So after a brief but frenetic search on the old laptop, I found the installers and was able to get ATR up and running on the new laptop. Whew.

Guess I was fortunate that the tuner I used 3+ yrs ago offered an unlocked/editable AP calibration file before shortly thereafter deciding to lock everything down. I had driveability and intermittent knock issues on the street shortly after the dyno tune was complete and have been working on parts of it on and off for the better part of the last 2.5 yrs (I had open source experience carry over from my 05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero days). The tune barely resembles the orig one but runs much better/smoother now, and I've long since incorporated many safety changes (knock thresholds/limits, per cyl ign timing comp changes, etc etc).

Now, if the new/upcoming ATR offers more functionality for older cars like the 05 LGT/OBXT, I'd consider ponying up to be able to continue the self-tuning journey. I do love being able to use the AP3 handheld for non-WBO2 logging purposes and for displaying important parameters like boost, DAM, FBKC, FLKC and IAT (ECU reads IAT from a GM/AEM IAT probe tapped into the underside of my IPR TMIC's outlet end tank).

Archived