LegacyGT.com

exhaust for 2005 legacy GT

latintrpt

latintrpt,

Like the others have said, on a bone-stock LGT, be it 5EAT or 5MT, a cat-back will not provide significant gains...probably not even butt-dyno-able.

The stock catted downpipe section is your greatest restriction, and will not be replaced by a cat-back, which attaches after the stock catted mid-pipe (the next pipe further downstream of the downpipe). A true turbo-back exhaust (often referred to as "TBE") can net you slight gains, however, and will also allow you to reach "Cobb Stage II" in terms of necessary hardware.

Even with LGTs that are at the "Cobb Stage II" level, cat-backs are currently of debateable benefit - by current convention, we cite wHP gains in the low to mid teens, but honestly, no one has yet provided definitive data to say if this is true, and at least one respected tuning-house has shown actually zero *peak* wHP increases with a single-digit wTQ increase, but an altered and fatter powerband overall.

Thus, it is also current belief that such systems will not register full benefit until at least once you step to an aftermarket turbo.

Regardless, on most Scoobys, exhausts aren't necessarily a "Rice" mod - there are still small benefits to be had (so it's only "Rice" if you're out there, proclaiming to the masses that it's adding, like, 20 wHP/wTQ :lol:), and honestly, with our Boxer setup, the rumble that it makes sounds anything but "Ricy." ;)

With regard to 0-60 and quarter-mile trap times, please have a go at the search function, which is located on the upper right hand corner of the screen - you'll find plenty of good information.

Best of luck, and welcome to LGT.com!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

latintrpt,

Like the others have said, on a bone-stock LGT, be it 5EAT or 5MT, a cat-back will not provide significant gains...probably not even butt-dyno-able.

Even on a 5MT (running lower gears), you can't really feel the power because of the rest of the exhuast tract (need header, uppipe, downpipe, track/hi-flow cat pipe) is holding the car back... it's really all in your head if you feel the gains (even buying it and thinking that it will give you 15whp is a misconception, regardless of th advertisements and claims, it's clouding your mind).. if you THINK that a catback exhuast is going to give you 15~20 whp, then you WILL be deemed as "rice"... to me, "rice" and the word "ignorant" goes hand in hand... so be functional and make it work. If it really works and there are significant gains to be seen on paper and the bang-for-the-buck, then it's just fine.

Get engine managment along with a full exhuast so that the ECU can take advantage of the new exhaust flow.. you'll get more power out of it..

Keefe

Is it pointless to buy an aftermarket exhaust for a 2005 legacy GT 5AT? I mean is that considered rice? Also what is the 0-60 mph and quarter mile for the 2005 legacy GT 5AT?

Thanks

You'll only see gains if you do a full turboback exhaust.

As per motor trend: 0-60 in 6.5 seconds.

- Mike

Re: 0-60....There are a variety of reference points from consumer & auto enthusiast mags. Motortrend's 6.5 secs mentioned above is the quickest "official" time I have seen in a commercial mag. Some sources cite times in the 7-8 second range.

A number of AT drivers on this forum have produced time stamps from tracks that indicate lower than 6.5 secs is possible.

In general, there seems to be a wide chasm between what the MT car will do, stock, and what the AT car does for most drivers.

• 11 years later...

Wow, talk about back from the dead.

Good searching though.

The only real difference is the location of the support bracket on the DP where it bolts to the tranny.

FWIW, I ran for years with out that bracket attached.

OH, Well come to the forum

Read the sticky's at the tops of the forums. you'll learn a lot.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Lol, I didnt even look at the dates !!! thanks for the feedback, I've done a ton of reading ever since I bought the car, even more so after the turbo died for my sins. Im in the middle of up pipe / down pipe / new turbo. First replacement vf40 was stolen off the seat, I'm on the fence with what to do now. I want to upgrade but i need my car soon and don't have much cash. Its my daily driver.

I have read many stickies and other threads, some things are just easier to ask someone else. Ebay supplier of my down pipe told me the thing is only designed to fit the man trans, but that sucker doesn't even have a hanger :lol::lol::lol: one lesson learned ! Thanks again

Good searching though.

The only real difference is the location of the support bracket on the DP where it bolts to the tranny.

FWIW, I ran for years with out that bracket attached.

OH, Well come to the forum

Read the sticky's at the tops of the forums. you'll learn a lot.

EDIT**. technically the 5mt will connect in a 5EAT, but sounds like some pipes (Perrin for example), will contact the firewall and trans pan. Oh well, new Cobb/Invidia it is, or a Shorty.

ha, good timing on my end as well as I'm looking for DP options. My searching comes up with AT downpipes being workable on the manual cars. But if I were to not use the mounting bracket, could I fit a MT downpipe to my 5EAT? This would expand my options.

ha, good timing on my end as well as I'm looking for DP options. My searching comes up with AT downpipes being workable on the manual cars. But if I were to not use the mounting bracket, could I fit a MT downpipe to my 5EAT? This would expand my options.

Excellent, Well i have some pictures I need to go take, i purchased a cheap EBAY down pipe , I did very little reading or reviews it was definitely, by far, and beyond not the best choice. Im going to try and fit it anyway.

Archived