LegacyGT.com

Debadging 1 yr old LGT

Blubaru

I'm new to this site. I just purchased an '05 LGT with 9k miles on it. Absolutely love this car!!!

I'm very interested in debadging it. I've read several threads stating how to do it but is it to late for me to debadge? My car has been on the road since 9/24/2004 (about 1 year). Will I have marks left over? - Thanks for the help!!

I decided to take the plunge today and debadge my LGT. I bought it used and I believe the owner purchased it last year, so it is about 1 year old. I took the Subaru badge off and I saw that it left an outline and when I went to clean it, the outline still remained. Any suggestions on getting rid of the outline or will it wear in over time with the sun beating on it etc. I want to take the Legacy and the 2.5 GT off too but if I am stuck with ugly outlines I might be better off throwing the Subaru badge back on. I went and washed the car and it seemed to be a bit better but I can still see the outline up close.

Update....

Since my post got smashed together with another one and I don't want to trigger this to the top of the list I thought I would just update my original post. I finally got around to taking off the other letters on the back of the vehicle. The original Subaru lettering that I took off did have ghosting but was quickly removed after I took Mother's Cleaner Wax to it. The other side (Legacy 2.5 GT) came off just as expected and the ghosting is gone after using the cleaner wax too. Here were the steps I took:

-blowdryer on hi heat low air to heat up the adhesive

-fishing line in a sawing motion to break away the adhesive from the lettering

-rubbed the residual adhesive until it rolled off in a ball.

-WD 40 on the remaining residue and allowed it to soak in so that it would remove the remainder.

-Clay bar treatment, optional if you don't have this product but highly suggested as this is in a high IFO area. Also a good time to clean the surface.

-rub in cleaner wax and allow to dry, then remove. Repeat if necessary.

Happy debadging, this definately gives it +1 for sleeper marks, now only if it was a FMIC we wouldn't have that crazy hoodscoop as a give away :icon_tong

Unless the car was poorly taken care of in "its previous life," you should be fine even at the 1-year to even 2-year timepoint.

I recently debadged my "2.5GT" lettering, and my Winky was a demo in her previous life. Manufacture date of 6/04.

No "ghosting," nada.

I did clean-up a bit using Goo-Gone, but even that wasn't totally necessary.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I used de-sov-it which is basically the same as goo gone, same orangy degunker stuff.. i thought it was all gone and then a week later i noticed that dust was settling differently where my badges were.. About 3 applications and some elbow grease of mcguires scratch-x followed up by a nice coat of wax and you cant tell at all even close up. My car was almost a year old when i did it, my car sat for awhile.. :)

DeepFreez's was way over a year old when we did it and using the above technique it worked dandy..

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Sorry, bro, using my "2.5 GT" for other purposes. :(

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I debadged mine almost a year after owning and it didn't leave any 'ghosting.'

I used a heat gun to heat the surface, used floss to work off the letters, worked the glue off with a terry cloth, and waxed the area afterwards. Perfect.

I used the same method on my friends 3 year old, black Lancer and it's perfect also..it just needed a stronger wax and some goo-gone to get the glue off.

• 2 weeks later...
I did it cause it cleans things up IMO.

cleans things up +1. IMO there was a book of lettering back there. I think the car just looks "cleaner" from the rear now. and I like the "what the heck kind of subaru was that?".

I did it because I'm Rice, and wanted a "STi" emblem there. ;)

There's too much "stuff" back there IMO. 'Subaru' on one end and 'Legacy 2.5GT' on the other. Looks too busy.

I was actually going to go full-on debadge, but I ended up leaving just "Legacy" because I was 1) too lazy and tired, and 2) figured the LGT needed some decent advertisement

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

I have a quick question on this whole thing with debadging...

If it does leave a "ghost"... and you have the upgraded "enviroshield" on your car... the "enviroshield" garuantees that the paint will not fade, stain, discolor, ect... Could this possibly be an under warranty thing that the dealership would have to replace/repaint it for you then?

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Archived