LegacyGT.com

Need a stock EBCS for smog

PutnamCO

I need a stock EBCS for smog. The shop I went to, which was lenient two years ago, has said he cannot overlook the 3-port EBCS, and that he doesn't think other shops will either. Anyone in LA area (preferably westside) have their old one laying around that I could borrow? I misread my registration due date, so I need to get it done ASAP. Thanks.

What?? Can't pass smog with an aftermarket EBCS? Soon, we won't be able to do anything to these cars :mad:, which the EPA already tried to push a few weeks ago..

CA is fun. Not allowed to do so many things. That being said. my EBCS was hidden under my engine cover (flipped over so the GS symbol wasn't showing). Passed fine.

However, I think SoCal is a little harsher on SMOG requirements (they have pop-up SMOG stations for cops to flag you over to, can get pulled over for a FMIC and sent to a referee, etc). It's the worst for going beyond stock. OBXTs are pretty innocuous though and I think we can get by with more than a WRX / STI can.

What?? Can't pass smog with an aftermarket EBCS? Soon, we won't be able to do anything to these cars :mad:, which the EPA already tried to push a few weeks ago..

Yup. I went to the same shop that I did two years ago when I first moved here. He passed me two years ago, but they have since instituted a new test. He said that if he got a single violation, they would shut down his shop for a month.

The issues he had with my car were that it had a CARB legal intake, but it did not have the sticker on it, and I had a 3-port EBCS. Even though I showed him the manual with the CARB certification that matched the part number, he said he could not allow it. I got in touch with AEM and they were nice enough to mail me a new CARB sticker.

The former test seemed less focused on the visual inspection, but conducted a test of exhaust gases. That test seemed reasonable, since all that really matters is what comes out of your tailpipe, so I do not understand the logic behind this test.

Luckily I am scheduled to move from CA in two years, and really hope I don't have to go through this again. I also hope I don't get pulled into the DUI-style SMOG checkpoints as mentioned above.

• 1 year later...
Just a heads up for all the people in California, the pop up smog checks are 100% voluntary. You have no obligation to stop or stay once you pull over. CHP just gets contracted to oversee the area, civilians volunteer to do the visual inspections with some BAR employees supervising....its a joke. Don’t get suckered into it.

Archived