LegacyGT.com

Transmission fluid gushing from torque converter housing - heelp

Just finished up my re-install of the engine after a head gasket failure two years ago (Car is in OR, I live in WA) and a replacement of the timing belt. Long story short I have had about a week the last two summers to work on it intermittently.

Got it running finally and it sounded good - except: what I thought was power steering fluid was gushing out. I got under and looked for the source and it turns out it is coming from the torque converter housing.

It seems that I damaged/destroyed the main oil seal when removing/re-installing the engine. I haven't pulled the engine again yet to verify, but does this sound about right? Is there something else I might want to look for?

Thanks -

I pulled the engine and no question about it - the shaft seal was quite damaged from the initial engine install/removal. I went by the local O'rielly's to get the seal even though I ordered one from a dealer because I was able to get the engine out pretty quickly the second time and wanted to speed things up a bit. Unfortunately the aftermarket seal is about half the width of the factory seal I pulled - it would probably work, but I don't want to take any chances and I DO NOT want to pull the engine again.

I'll post my results when I get everything back together again in case someone comes across this post in the future and it might be helpful.

Probably wasn't anything you did wrong, just that the seal was probably at the end of its service life and the uninstall/reinstall just finished it off. Once you get the new seal installed, life will be good.

Try loosening the trans mount a bit, to lower the back of the transmission. Then the engine and the trans are better aligned during the reinstall.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Yea, it looked like it had just gone soft and deteriorated - then whatever friction there was from the install removal finished it off.

Got the new seal put in and could not get the engine to meet up with the transmission. Turns out the silly little tension spring around the oil pump shaft got completely bent and prevented the torque converter from inserting all the way. I can't even tell what the tension spring does, but I'll be waiting for one to come in on order now - here we go again - lol.

Slightly lift the back of your car when you're attempting to do the line-up, that should give you some additional angle-alignment.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived