LegacyGT.com

Wobble at highway speed, help!

So this last weekend my wheel weight fell off and I decided it was time to get new tires when I saw the tread. So I got new tires and got them balanced, but the steering wheel is still shaking at highway speed. I got them rebalanced thinking they just screwed up but it's still shaking... any ideas??

thanks in advance!

could possibly be your rotors. I had a similar problem and you wouldn't feel it (the shaky wheel would stop) when you would brake to stop, but it could when you brake checked or tapped them.

thought it was something with the power steering, but time came to replace rotors and i replaced the fronts first. I started to late and had to work that night so i just went with the fronts for then. the problem was still present. so i really thought it was the power steering.

the next day i replaced the rears and it was back to driving normal, somehow a rear warped rotor caused the steering to shake at highway speeds.

Another thought might be a wheel bearing. From my experience however, I was able to detect noise and vibration at 30mph. Just thought I would put it out there.

But I'll bet that RumbleRumble is correct. Find a good tire mechanic and get them realigned/balanced.

• 3 weeks later...

Front axles man. The cv joints. I replaced mine with aftermarket and got vibrations I never had with stock.. Been a year and it's gotten worse it vibrates at highway speed. Slightly more when on light throttle tells me it is the cv joints. It's a known problem that aftermarket joints are a problem on Subaru. Even idling feels rough because of the slop in the joint. With oem you couldn't tell the motor was running.

Can you feel the motor idling or is it smooth. Oem was so smooth you barely knew it was running.

I swear after market joints are an absolute crap shoot. But oem are more than double! :(

I had my tires balanced 3 times and rotated no difference. Suspension is solid. No vibration braking..

If you have a good suspension and tires, it's your aftermarket shafts man, they don't remain balanced.

I believe this is the issue. The shafts don't pop when turning but the tolerance and balance is not good enough for Subaru standards.

Edited by Jeremy R

• 4 years later...
Anyone find a solid solution? I’m just getting the death wobble , I have oem steering and everything but had my mechanic look at it when I first got it last year and the cv axle boot was leaking a small bit of oil.. I thought I’d just ask before I replace the boots or everything else

Old thread!! Shipped the old legacy long ago but I wrench. If the control arm bushings and ball joints are good. Check the motor mounts. If these are loose enough it twists the motor causing more wear on the CV joints and misalignment which can cause vibrations. Letting off the gas would make the vibration lessen dramatically.