Site is getting old

Tide

Future of LegacyGT.com  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Future of LegacyGT.com

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stay on VB3 or move to another platform. I'm a mod over on contour.org which upgraded from VB4 to VB5 a little while back, and I can't recommend it. It wasn't a seamless transition, there were plenty of functional bugs and we still have performance problems.

If you look up VBulletin 5 reviews, others have experienced similar issues. My favorite is this

(starting at 1:10:48), where they gave up entirely after promised features weren't delivered. The software has stabilized a lot since that review was created in 2013, but even now we have had some bugs creep up that made me question the design. For instance, users couldn't post because the server's email smtp port was incorrect -- I can only guess that it handled subscription notifications in the same thread as the post action.

• 1 year later...
I am like 85% sure I'm going to start on this in October. Mostly, this site in ancient, the code is slow / old, and making it "performant" isn't possible at scale. I'm also out of a job, so it seems like a good project to keep me busy.

• 8 months later...
Invision work is moving forward. Only the base forum will move initially, "Garage" "iTrader" and "Reviews" will be handled as individual migrations after. We will look into each of their usefulness and determine which is worth time and effort.

Archived