LegacyGT.com

Hello. Planning my LGT project, early days.

jrxiii

Hi All,

I just bought my wife a new Forester 2.5i (for the kids and shopping runs) but, in the process, caught the bug for a new turbo project. My situation dictates that my build conform to a few admittedly dull requirements:

1) Must be returnable to California Smog passable shape with an appropriate amount of hassle every two years (minor headaches are acceptable, but I'd like to know what I'm signing up)

2) Family-able (2 kids in a backseat, a bike rack)

3) Sleeper-y

Since emissions will be an ever-present California problem, I'd love to hear what most of the other peeps in the area do (or would do, if you could go back).

Right now, I'm pretty open to hearing suggestions on year models (as that will impact how the car must pass smog). Also, I am able to garage my stock parts and am not squeamish about re-fitting certain things (exhaust, injectors, airbox, reflash).

Also, what's an appropriate power goal for this? I'm looking to set it up for both e85 and 91. I understand it's largely up to how far I want to push it, so let's say I'm interested in keeping it fairly reliable and will do my best to support the power I choose to make along the way.

Are there common builds for my situation? I figure asking the Californians first is the right way to go.

Help me put some wrench-turning, concrete-laying, turbo fun back into my driveway.

Cheers!

I can only sort of answer - about to go through my first SMOG, at my current mod level.

If whatever you do allows you to put the OEM TMIC / DP back on you should be good.

Not sure that statement is true yet though. Still need to go and pass with my tune (not planning on flashing back to the stock tune because I don't want to remove my GS EBCS)

I can only sort of answer - about to go through my first SMOG, at my current mod level.

If whatever you do allows you to put the OEM TMIC / DP back on you should be good.

Not sure that statement is true yet though. Still need to go and pass with my tune (not planning on flashing back to the stock tune because I don't want to remove my GS EBCS)

Black electrical tape is your friend when it comes to covering up the GS logo on the EBCS.

People do gut OEM DP's, I've done it and it worked well on my spec.b going stg.2 off a cobb AP or an open source tune via Tactrix cable.

I passed smog recently with my cobb DP and stg.2 tune still flashed on the ECU. I just reinstalled my oem TMIC, CBE, and BOV and passed with no questions.

I thought aftermarket intercoolers were ok?? I passed SMOG a few times with my 03 WRX, which has an AVO TMIC. I guess it looks kinda stockish (not really). I did swap the stock DP in but left everything else on (turbo, TMIC, injectors/pump, EBCS, custom tune, probably some other things I can't think of).

As for a LGT build, I'm pretty much doing the same thing you're looking for - a spirited daily driver with minimal hassle on CA SMOG crap. A wagon would probably suit you better for family-ableness.

I'm going to try a "flex fuel" setup for my build. Current plan is to take the 16G from the WRX (it's going full race car :) ), and then do the standard supporting mods for it (pump/injectors, exhaust, BPV, EBCS, etc). I'm aiming for around 300whp on crap CA91 gas, and a good bit more on E85 (350ish?). Infamous has a FlexFuel kit for our cars, and I believe a few CA shops can do custom tunes for it. Or if you go a little more conservative, like stage 2, there are some OTS maps available.

As for exhaust, I'm going to see if I can get away with a custom exhaust that meets CARB requirements. Not 100% sure on this, but I think if your stock cats get damaged you can replace them with aftermarket, as long as they are CARB certified - they must have an EO number, and you must present this during your SMOG check to pass visual. Magnaflow makes quite a few cats that have EO numbers. As we all know, nobody makes CARB-certified aftermarket exhausts for our cars. Anyhoo, that's the plan for now.

Good luck!

Get a wagon if you need place for the kids and such.

DP and supporting mods can be reverted easily enough. Find a good tuner or work with some of the vendors here on an ETune.

OBXT will give you a more substantial rack rails than a GT Wagon.

Archived