LegacyGT.com

Adding Turn Signal Mirrors

I purchased an 09 2.5i and, like many, wanted those fancy-looking mirrors with the blinkers and heaters in them. So, after finding a part out in my color from an 08, I purchased the mirror assemblies and door harnesses. I was told it was a direct swap, but the information was about 40% wrong. Here's how:

The 2009 has Harman-Kardon sound, and for that, Subaru added two extra pins to the main plug on the door harness to separate the power between the tweeter and speaker. Prior to this, they just had a split from the tweeter wiring to the door speaker.

You can plug these into the non-premium sound models and it SHOULD be plug and play with the proper mirror and harness combo.

I had to track the wires back to whatever it was they were powering and then go to the big plug and mark where things were different. I then removed the two wires from my stock harness and carefully routed them through the donor harness and plugged them into the places corresponding with the wiring further inside the vehicle.

The picture is the donor harness main plug with marks showing where the wires needed to either move to or move out of. On the donor plug, there is a solid brown wire on the 3rd row down, 2nd from the right that goes to something at the very end of the harness in your door (2.5i doesn't use it). Pull the pin out carefully with a tiny screwdriver or something. I wrapped mine with tape, just in case. The now open slot becomes power for your tweeter, I believe. The other mark on that row is where your tweeter needs another wire. I believe its a ground, but don't quote me. To achieve this the easy way, I took my old 2.5i harness and popped the pins out of the main block then fished the wires out of the loom and wrapped them with electrical tape and worked them back through the donor harness to where I plugged them in the proper holes, which I have labeled in the picture.

The bottom row has 3 marks, as you can see. Where the two wires are (just in case I need to move them back sometime for some reason) and the arrow denoting to me that I need to move them both over 1 pin. Do this and your door speakers will get power.

Next you have to solve the obvious problem of a different plug. I simply clipped and spliced them and used some heatshrink to make sure it wouldn't move around. Interior fires smell absolutely amazing...forever. My second picture is after I got curious and wanted to see if I could use the pins with stock speakers. No dice for me, but maybe you're a genius.

Anyway, fish all this stuff back in where you got it from with your now modified harness and do a test. I was not able to test the heated mirrors since it was roughly 80℉ outside and frost tends to not build up too quickly then. I have been told that you will need a relay and a couple fuses.

Main harness plug with marks for wiring pin locations. You only need to add wires to the marked spaces (aside from very bottom left because that's a reference mark for me).

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160529/d93fc18ed18cd3c5daed5b408896b9b3.jpg

This is the stock 2.5i harness plug for reference, if you want to compare. Note the bottom row. The desert tan and medium brown color wires are for the door speaker and are where you need to move the bottom two wires on your donor harness to.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160529/afcdfd7e3075f4ea5a524048e4081897.jpg

Speaker plug pulled apart for pin examination. This is the one I used for the large door speaker. I simply pulled the tweeter wires through together as they're already a twisted pair.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160529/e04433ccc060987ccb6ac1544386e67c.jpg

To wrap it up, always disconnect your battery before performing electrical work on your vehicle. This whole thing took me roughly 2 hours on one side (to figure out what to do) and 1 hour on the other. Aside from the now separate HK speaker/tweeter wiring, it IS plug and play (except the heated mirror possibility). This write-up is intended only for those with the HK sound system using a harness that did not come from an HK equipped Legacy. My phone is always logged in. Feel free to ask questions. Hope this helps someone. [emoji16]

Archived