LegacyGT.com

P0018 and AVCS issue

MasAyinde

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember way way back somebody posting about a small piece that broke inside that cam gear and got it stuck.

I damaged my driver side cam gear during my install. Car ran fine while driving, but would idle a little rough. Then got the P0022 code, that's when I discovered the cam gear was damaged.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Most of the time when the AVCS is defective it would throw the P0011 or P0022 depending on which side.

Ordinarily it would, but right now it's defective and there's no code, so I'm kind of at a loss besides this.

I damaged my driver side cam gear during my install. Car ran fine while driving, but would idle a little rough. Then got the P0022 code, that's when I discovered the cam gear was damaged.

How long were you driving around before the CEL?

How long were you driving around before the CEL?

It took about 10 mins of driving (break in) after the motor was in. All it took was a few stop and goes for the ECU to detect the rough idle.

After you corrected the timing belt, did you drive it around until IAM was at 1.0?

Just trying to figure out myself before you have to go spend another $150 +/- on a new cam gear.

Decided to take the plunge and rebuild my AVCS gear carefully. Advance is now up to 44* on the left side and 13 on the right, but naturally I messed up the timing again. Oh well, gotta take the belt off again but at least my AVCS issue has been fixed. Thanks to everyone on this thread for their help.

At least my belt still has the timing lines on it so it should be easier. I was just a little rushed. Good to know that my car will be fully operational for the 10+ hours of driving I have planned this weekend.

Decided to take the plunge and rebuild my AVCS gear carefully. Advance is now up to 44* on the left side and 13 on the right, but naturally I messed up the timing again. Oh well, gotta take the belt off again but at least my AVCS issue has been fixed. Thanks to everyone on this thread for their help.

Actually, I am confused. How do you come to the conclusion that now the AVCS gear is working?

Actually, I am confused. How do you come to the conclusion that now the AVCS gear is working?

The left AVCS that was previously maxing out at 7* is now advancing fully to 44* and it follows the configured values in the map.

AVCS right advance: 43*

AVCS left advance: 44*

Damn dirty AVCS gear!! All that trouble for a little bit of gunk blocking the gear. Also, did the timing last night and it is now the most on I have ever done for a timing belt job. I'm talking still lining up perfectly after idling for 2 minutes.

Left is stuck at 0, going to 1 and 2 every now and then, seemingly randomly.

AVCS right advance: 43*

AVCS left advance: 44*

Just FYI, resonance in the belt, a little slop in the AVCS gear etc. will have the cam positions move by 1 or 2 degrees every now and then. Even a completely dead AVCS system will show 1 or 2* cam advance angle change with the engine running.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Mike @ tuningalliance did them. So I may not upload them :redface: .

Now that I think about it, maybe we're both seeing about the same amount of advance: my 'overall' timing variable shows while cruising a max of 49 deg, while each AVCS shows 0 deg.

On a different note, you may want to help that guy. Different engine but kinna similar codes..

Can someone please advise to me which solenoids are my (ocv,vvt, avcs). It looks like I have 4. I've been throwing cel for P0021-camshaft position timing over advanced bank two

P0018-crankshaft position-camshaft position correlation bank2 sensorA

P0016-crankshaft position - camshaft position correlation bank1 sensorA

P0011-intake(A) camshaft position timing-over advanced(Bank1)

Also randomly throws cel for misfire on all 6 without these codes.

http://estore.subarupartswarehouse.com/images/parts/subaru/fullsize/B13_00601176.png

It's interesting cause both of my cars never get that much advance. Max advance on each side is like 11. All in the tune I guess..

Mike @ tuningalliance did them. So I may not upload them :redface: .

Yeah, that's why. The stock tune on the '07+ calls for around 40deg advance in the low-load/low-RPM region: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5030757&postcount=76

See covertrussian's findings on AVCS tuning: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5027119&postcount=70

Archived