LegacyGT.com

P0018 and AVCS issue

MasAyinde

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I was one tooth off my upper cam gear which through the P0018 code. Just check the timing before you buy the new gear.

:whore: I also have to admit that I don't recall seeing someone reporting a p0018. So that looks like a rare type of code to be thrown.

OP, when you say you've seen misfire counts at idle, which cylinders were throwing these? #2 and #4?

Don't remember which cylinders, but two were definitely throwing the most. As long as it's not raining tonight I'm going to take the side timing covers off and see if the cam timing marks still line up.

P0018 is a timing error between crank sensor and cam sensor. It can be caused by the AVCS being seized in an advanced position which would lead to the sensor being way off at low RPMs, or something with the timing having jumped a tooth.

I'm wondering if the AVCS will still function even with a CEL, because I'm not seeing mine function at all. At least if I put new ones on and it still doesn't work, the OCVs will be easy to change since that will be all that could be causing it.

Well I'm checking/redoing the timing today. Already ordered a new belt and tensioner from Amazon. Best case scenario: timing is off and fixing it will get rid of my codes. To that end, I will be using my old belt and tensioner when I start my car back up to see if things have been fixed. If they have, I do the job all over again with the new belt/tensioner and make sure they're timed correctly. If not, I get new AVCS gears and put them on along with the new belt/tensioner. Cam/crank position sensors are next if that doesn't work. After that I'm selling the long block to someone who wants a simple fix and buying a new long block to drop in.

...only slightly kidding

Update: checked timing and I was indeed one tooth off, but on the passenger side. The real problem was that the belt had stretched and there was so much slack that I could almost slip it off the tensioner. I could even lift it so it was completely off the tensioner. I put on a new belt using the old tensioner and the slack is gone. I was getting tired and it was getting dark. When I released the tensioner pin and turned it twice, it was 1/2-1 tooth off on the drivers side. I started the car and let it idle and saw that the left AVCS was now down to 11 degrees. After dinner, going to clear the P0018, go through two idling cycles and see if it comes back. I still have to put the new tensioner on, so I plan on getting the timing exact then. Just too dark to do it now.

Exactly, getting the timing perfect is a bitch! I usually have to do it 3 times before it's perfect. That's why I mention look at the timing belt before wasting your money on the upper cam gear. Timing is everything......no pun intended. :p
My wife's balls are delicious.

Yeah, I used to be able to get it right. Gonna keep trying with the new belt/old tensioner until I get it right, then get logs. If it's happy, redo timing with the new tensioner. If still sad, order new cam gear.

Update 2!!!!!! Cleared P0018 and let the car warm up to temperature. As soon as it got to temperature, both AVCS advance dropped to 0. Went through 4 idling cycles at temperature and CEL didn't come back, AVCS also stayed at 0 on both sides. The ONLY thing I'm seeing now is that when I rev the engine in 1st with the clutch all the way in, I'm only seeing one side AVCS respond, but I don't trust this reading until I get it out on the road and get some driving logs.

Left AVCS still stuck and not activating, even after switching the OCVs around. Checked the top banjo bolt and there's no filter, already took the filter out of the one on the front of the head. Between that and seeing oil spraying out when I loosened the top bolt at idle, I can only assume that it's the AVCS gear itself that I had disassembled. Ordering a replacement today, so hopefully that will fix my issues. The new timing belt is already making it feel much better.

What's interesting is that I've gone through 6 driving cycles with a completely non-functional AVCS. Not seeing any FBKC and cylinder roughness is MUCH better after the new timing belt, but still no CEL. Do you guys know the logic behind the car throwing P0011/P0021?

Yeah I think you're right there is a code for bad cam sensor. Maybe it's not bad enough? My thinking if I understand correctly, is that the ECU determines when and how much avcs system activation. The the OCV is told that info, and the cam position sensor is checking up on the physical side of things - did the cam do what it was told?

You're probably right, though I don't think it would hurt to switch sides just to make sure.

Either way, I'm curious to see what's going on in your current cam gear. I reassembled a spare pair, then got a p0011. Then I cleaned my old gear, put it back on, and the code never came back. The spare gear I used that triggered the p0011 didn't appear to be seized in any way upon further inspection.

Archived