LegacyGT.com

P0018 and AVCS issue

MasAyinde

I got my car all back together about two weeks ago and yesterday when driving home from the supermarket I got a P0018. I opened my laptop to check things out and noticed that at idle, my left AVCS is at 26 degrees of advance and the right is at 3. Idle quality is absolutely fine, she purrs at 750-800 RPM. NPS = 1 at idle, so I know AVCS shouldn't be active. Is it possible that my timing belt jumped a tooth or something? I plan on checking the timing to make sure it still all lines up, but I don't know if anything else could cause AVCS to advance so much at idle. Anyone experienced anything like this before?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should send a PM to Mike at TA if you want a quicker reply.

I think if the timing belt jumped you have bigger issues. Interference fit engine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Have you ever checked your banjo bolt filters? One could be clogged. Hopefully not.

Also, how many miles on these AVCS?

And yes, at idle they should definitely be zero. And as you may know, whenever they are non zero, they should be in sync at all times.

I removed the banjo bolt filter from the drivers side (left) so I don't think there's a clog. That's the same AVCS that I disassembled looking for any gunk that may have been in there from the blown turbo, but I saw none. I cleaned it out and refilled it with fresh engine oil when I put it back together, so maybe it wasn't reinstalled correctly? Next step is to loosen the top AVCS banjo bolt to see if there's oil pressure. If there is, I may just order two new AVCS gears.

I see.

How about the banjo bolt filter from the passenger side close to the turbo?

Also, you could swap AVCS from driver side to passenger side and log them again and see what happens. If the 'out of whack' numbers you posted follow the AVCS swap, then I'd say it is a bad AVCS.

mmmh. you got me now. I don't know if the 07 do not have a banjo bolt filter on the passenger side. You could always check by following the oil line from the passenger side OCV to the turbo and see if you see one.

And yes, I mean swap OCVs. As you know, the driver side is super easy to take out. The passenger is a little bit harder due to the coolant tank, but I believe it is totally doable.

They do have a banjo bolt filter (speaking from experience on my '07 spec.B). From my understanding, all LGTs have them everywhere. The difference is the '07+ LGTs have the important (the turbo oil-feed banjo) ones facing vertically, so anything they actually filter out won't accumulate when the engine shuts off, as opposed to the sideways banjos on the '05-'06 LGTs.

They do have a banjo bolt filter (speaking from experience on my '07 spec.B). From my understanding, all LGTs have them everywhere. The difference is the '07+ LGTs have the important (the turbo oil-feed banjo) ones facing vertically, so anything they actually filter out won't accumulate when the engine shuts off, as opposed to the sideways banjos on the '05-'06 LGTs.

;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well, guess it's time to buy a bunch of copper washers

I would guess the left one is stuck. I would take it out and check it again in addition to checking the banjo bolt filter on the turbo side. And you don't really have to get new copper washers. I've replaced a few banjo bolts without putting new copper washers. Never leaked.

I'm hoping that's all it is. I reused a copper washer on the AVCS hardline when I took the heads off and it leaked when the oil got hot and thin, so I'm a little hesitant to reuse them. At $1.99 for two, I might as well. So the path the oil takes goes through the left one first, then the right, then the turbo?

I'm going to loosen the banjo tonight to make sure there's oil pressure. If there is, I'm just going to order new ones. Do they come cheaper than $150 each from flat irons tuning?

I'm going to loosen the banjo tonight to make sure there's oil pressure. If there is, I'm just going to order new ones. Do they come cheaper than $150 each from flat irons tuning?

150 for the banjo bolt :eek: ? I think you are referring to the ocv. You can get them much cheaper I think from heuberger.

I am 100% sure this is what is going on with me:

That was a good informative video. Then if that is indeed what you are suffering from, AND assuming both of your OCVs are working properly, you could just swap the OCVs. And then when you'll log the AVCS angles, it should report just the same numbers for each side.

150 for the banjo bolt :eek: ? I think you are referring to the ocv. You can get them much cheaper I think from heuberger.

No I meant the new AVCS gear:

https://www.flatironstuning.com/p-2125-2004-2007-subaru-sti-and-06-wrx-cam-gear-sprocket.aspx

That was a good informative video. Then if that is indeed what you are suffering from, AND assuming both of your OCVs are working properly, you could just swap the OCVs. And then when you'll log the AVCS angles, it should report just the same numbers for each side.

Well I know what I'm doing when I get home

Took out both OCVs, cleaned them and swapped them. Still seeing left at 28* and right at 2*. Loosened both top banjo bolts and saw oil spurting out, so oil supply looks good which means I doubt there's a clogged filter somewhere. Guess the next step is replacing the drivers side AVCS with a new one.

With the P0018 code, you're dealing with a timing issue. If the timing belt is off it will mess with the AVCS. Did you check and double check the timing belt to make sure everything lines up? You might be 1 tooth off on one of the cams.

Make sure the crank bolt is fully secured.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived