LegacyGT.com

2015 WRX Stage 1ish 275whp/310tq

THE RZA

Today I went up to EFI logics in Bethel, CT to get my 2015 WRX tuned by Mike Botti, along with me was my friend in his 2014 WRX and man what a difference there is between the FA20DIT and the EJ255. Before getting in to details here's what was done to my car and the dyno sheet:

-Cobb Accessport

-TGV and EGR Deletes

-Grimmspeed EBCS

-Cobb 3" SS exhaust

http://efilogics.com/dyno/graph.php?gb=0&hp=1&torque=1&rpm=1&sl=1&sln=1&sat=0&cb=0&dgr=1&smm=0&sg=1&runid1=2855&rgb1=

Mikey didn't even realize it until I told him I was still on the stock downpipe and he was impressed :lol:. Another 2016 WRX was getting tuned before me and he was "stage 2" with a full turbo back exhaust and accessport and he was only able to put down 260whp/306tq. On the FA20 it seems that just a turboback exhaust alone doesn't see that much of a gain unlike the EJ255, my guess has to do with the angle/shape of the downpipe on the EJ255 and how the stock one can be restrictive whereas the J-Pipe on the WRX is just one bend and a straight shot out.Baseline dyno for my car was roughly 220 and I saw a 55hp gain with simple bolt on's that cost me no more than $120 it's a no brainer to do this mod.

In comparison to my buddy's 2014 EJ255 powered WRX, he is running stage 2 with a full invidia catted TBE, Cobb SF1 Intake, Fuel Pump and EBCS he was dialed in at 278whp/312tq so in perspective, my FA20 Stg 1 with deletes is putting out the same power as your EJ255's do stage 2.

Enough with my banter :lol:, here's the dyno pull!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160409/e45e0d4d7618f4445810f3c1d5810ef8.jpg

• 5 months later...

A little update, I've been running on this tune for 5 months and 12,000 miles and it still runs great. In the time since I did my 30k maintenance and 4 oil changes all at 2500mi intervals. (I still run Motul X-Clean 5w30) This summer was brutal with the heat and heat soak so I didn't really push the car too much, now that we're getting a little cooler weather again I'll start having more fun with it again.

I decided to hold off on doing Stage 2 for a while, I'm pretty happy with how it drives and I'm not begging for more power right now. I recently picked up a 2008 Legacy 2.5i limited for a daily driver so I can give this car a rest and plan out a build for the WRX.

Driving around I get the occasional -1.05 FKL when cruising but otherwise it's fine. DAM never drops and AFR is perfect. In the near future I'll be changing spark plugs but that's it. My overall thoughts since doing the modifications, this has fixed every gripe I had about this car stock. What I loved about this car stock was how the boost would hit immediately when you put your foot on the gas, but would fall off at 4200 RPM. The stage 1 OTS map was a little more linear in building boost and I could boost up until about 5200 RPM but I felt more of a lag in the spool up over stock. Getting protuned + the deletes I hit boost immediately and all the way up to Redline and a much more consistent boost. I feel like this is how this car should be made stock and gets the most out of the little stock turbo.

A little update, I've been running on this tune for 5 months and 12,000 miles and it still runs great. In the time since I did my 30k maintenance and 4 oil changes all at 2500mi intervals. (I still run Motul X-Clean 5w30) This summer was brutal with the heat and heat soak so I didn't really push the car too much, now that we're getting a little cooler weather again I'll start having more fun with it again.

I decided to hold off on doing Stage 2 for a while, I'm pretty happy with how it drives and I'm not begging for more power right now. I recently picked up a 2008 Legacy 2.5i limited for a daily driver so I can give this car a rest and plan out a build for the WRX.

Driving around I get the occasional -1.05 FKL when cruising but otherwise it's fine. DAM never drops and AFR is perfect. In the near future I'll be changing spark plugs but that's it. My overall thoughts since doing the modifications, this has fixed every gripe I had about this car stock. What I loved about this car stock was how the boost would hit immediately when you put your foot on the gas, but would fall off at 4200 RPM. The stage 1 OTS map was a little more linear in building boost and I could boost up until about 5200 RPM but I felt more of a lag in the spool up over stock. Getting protuned + the deletes I hit boost immediately and all the way up to Redline and a much more consistent boost. I feel like this is how this car should be made stock and gets the most out of the little stock turbo.

You're going to want to run a fmic or at-least upgraded tmic before upgrading j pipe. We've found with the high compression high boost FA20's, its hard to up boost without getting alot of knock(actually have seen some tuners disable knock so you wont see it, which is scary). So def look into that before you go the upgraded j pipe/ intermediate upgrade!

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You're going to want to run a fmic or at-least upgraded tmic before upgrading j pipe. We've found with the high compression high boost FA20's, its hard to up boost without getting alot of knock(actually have seen some tuners disable knock so you wont see it, which is scary). So def look into that before you go the upgraded j pipe/ intermediate upgrade!

-Brian

Thanks, the plan is to do the new Grimmspeed TMIC + Chargepipe, Downpipe and maybe CAI for the sake of going full bolt on. I had a Downpipe on hand for a while but ended up selling it because I decided to just stick with my current set up for a while. This tune is pretty awesome.

Thanks, the plan is to do the new Grimmspeed TMIC + Chargepipe, Downpipe and maybe CAI for the sake of going full bolt on. I had a Downpipe on hand for a while but ended up selling it because I decided to just stick with my current set up for a while. This tune is pretty awesome.

For the price difference, just go the mishimoto fmic. Can sell you at a good price. It's cooling is just way more effective and they are pretty much the same price point.

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We have seen great results with the Verticooler and the grimmspeed piece is a great product as well for bolt on fitment.

As brian said, these cars hate hot intake temps and can pick up a bunch of hp safely with a proper tmic/fmic setup. PRL has a great fmic as well that is on their stock turbo 11.4 car that mikey tuned.

I daily drive my 2015 and am always amazed at the powerband it has for being so efficient. I love tuning these new FA's but you just have to be careful with how you bring on high torque on E85 or meth.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

For the price difference, just go the mishimoto fmic. Can sell you at a good price. It's cooling is just way more effective and they are pretty much the same price point.

-Brian

Thank you but I'm not interested in a FMIC honestly, I'm not running an aftermarket turbo I feel it's excessive for a stock turbo. I'm not a fan of Mishimoto's quality in their manufacturing, their TMIC has had a lot of issues where it's drawn less power than the stock TMIC and they have had issues with many of their other parts. I'm pretty much set on going with either KillerB, Grimmspeed or Process West for my intercooler, more so leaning towards Grimmspeed because they have gone above in beyond with providing data on their product. With my current setup intake temps have not been bad, we had a few 110 degree days this summer and monitoring my intake temps the highest I saw was 130 degrees. Stage 2 will include an aftermarket intercooler I know that much.

I have 2 routes I'm also considering going, I just saw Mikey post on facebook last week a 2015 WRX he just tuned down in florida put down 400whp on the stock turbo with full bolt ons and a built motor. In the dense florida heat that's really impressive so I feel we could get those numbers on a similar build. My other choice would be a PT5858 Turbo or a SteamSpeed STX 67+ turbo, ultimately my choice in turbo will be what kind of power I want. The Precision turbo is a much bigger bump in power than the Steamspeed which is more of a turnkey solution to get a nice bump in power and be around the 370-380hp range.

Archived