LegacyGT.com

My 3.6R Tuned by XRT (XtremeRacingTuning.com)

Cascade-LGT

I'm in the final phases of tuning with Edward of XtremeRacingTuning.com for my 2013 Legacy 3.6R. I have not posted in many years (previously owned 2005 SWP Legacy GT Wagon, 5spd, black interior - a unicorn...) but wanted to thank Edward for his work and encourage others to tune with him.

I had both the engine and transmission tuned after reading many reviews of improved performance. Decided having both done was best approach.The only mod to car, is high flow air filter and suspension, wheels/tires.

I'm very pleased with the results and surprised at how much better the car feels. The dyno testing may show a 20+ horsepower gain but what I feel is more power, general smoothness and a sense of refinement. The transmission shifts cleanly, up and down, and manual mode is now fun instead of being an irritant due to hesitation. Acceleration is much stronger and seems to build all the way to redline. The car is greatly improved...

Edward is great to work with and helped me through some initial fumbling with the software. After that it was quite easy to re-flash and log data.

So, very happy with the tuning and highly recommend Edward.

Don

• 4 months later...

I'd also like to chime in. I've been working with Ed for a good two weeks now and it's been nothing but a pleasure. He's quick to respond and the latest small tweaks that have been done to the tune we're back to me within the hour. He's helped me find issues with the car that I never would have thought to be there. It is on my fault for not replacing plugs. I had thought that being 10k miles under the change interval it wouldn't matter but not the case. It's a good idea to replace plugs before tuning, even on a low mileage car. What a difference it made for me.

Ed's been really helpful and supportive with the tuning. I had issues with getting the software to work but with his help and the help threads on the Rom Raider website I figured it out. When it came to flashing the ECU, I was nervous every time. It's not a project car that I'm working on. It's my ride to work everyday and for an issue to arise would be troubling. After learning what to do and what safeguards to take, I feel a lot more confident doing it. He assured me everything will be fine, even if any issues arise.

My car...is now a monster. I'm still with the stock exhaust but the car isn't anything like it was before. The engine sounds more aggressive, the 5EAT shifts quicker and smoother. The throttle lag is greatly reduced and now "twitchy". I don't use anything except the paddle shifters. It's now fun to drive and I want to go out to just cruise around. There's so much more potential with exhaust but for the price, it's definitely worth it. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy.

I've learned a great deal over the last two weeks and always still learning more. I read great reviews before deciding to jump on this but now here's a good review from myself as well. Ed is just like you and I, working for a living and doing what he likes to do. He shares the same passion for cars and does excellent work. The best part is he's always willing to check out the car after so long to make sure the car is running okay. Like a car doctor.

I should also note that there's a group for the XRT guys and they're a crazy, but helpful bunch as well.

I can't say any negatives about the XRT service. I hope to keep working together as time goes on. The car is not done yet. It's never done.

• 2 months later...

Reporting back after two months. Cars now even quicker. I've been working with Ed for the past few days and he's managed to extract a little more power out of the car. She's now running to 60 in 6.9 from the 7.3 back in July, slowly becoming quicker it seems. I'm still amazed that this much as come out of a completely stock car, aside from proper maintenance and some oil additive (Nanotech Lubricants). Once the suspension is sorted it'll be time for the exhaust and possible intake mods.

I just have to say, it's been a pleasure working with Ed from XRT. He's available around most of the clock and has been tuning to near perfection. Has no problem playing with sound and throttle to get the car how you like it. It's not about massive amounts of wheel power but about you simply enjoying driving your car and having it the way you like. My plans were never "because racecar" but a Legacy Grand Tourer, with loads of torque and yet still remains comfortable for long trips. It's slowly coming together. My advice to anyone out there that has worries, just do it. You won't be disappointed :)

Here's a link to my tuning thread:

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=667

Just curious, what did you use to test the 0-60? I personally used beltronics vector fx2 a while a go on my other cars, never tried it on the LGT though. My 0-60 was always WAY slower then the marketed ones, but then those guys dump the clutches at redline to get the best 0-60's anyway.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Just curious, what did you use to test the 0-60? I personally used beltronics vector fx2 a while a go on my other cars, never tried it on the LGT though. My 0-60 was always WAY slower then the marketed ones, but then those guys dump the clutches at redline to get the best 0-60's anyway.

We actually use a Tactrix Openport 2.0 and RomRaider on a laptop to log speed over a period of time, as well as many other things. I feel it's very accurate. I'm not exactly sure how Ed from XRT measures the quarter miles but those I believe to be accurate as well. I'm gonna do a few things non-performance related to help increase them a bit more. The rear diff bushings sag a lot at launch and in between shifts as well as the transmission bushing. I've got inserts for both that I need to install. Unfortunately I can't dump the clutch, I let it do it's own magic. But he has it locking up pretty nicely now at takeoff.

We actually use a Tactrix Openport 2.0 and RomRaider on a laptop to log speed over a period of time, as well as many other things. I feel it's very accurate. I'm not exactly sure how Ed from XRT measures the quarter miles but those I believe to be accurate as well. I'm gonna do a few things non-performance related to help increase them a bit more. The rear diff bushings sag a lot at launch and in between shifts as well as the transmission bushing. I've got inserts for both that I need to install. Unfortunately I can't dump the clutch, I let it do it's own magic. But he has it locking up pretty nicely now at takeoff.

What will it do with brake boosting?

Left foot on the brake, right foot to the floor, wait for the revs to stop increasing and then sidestep the brake pedal and hope things don't go kaboom.

Lightly modded 3.6R's really interest me, 1.) Because my father has a stock one I could talk him into modifying, and 2.) Because I want to swap one of these engines into a manual 4th gen LGT to have near-stage2 speed along with NA reliability and Porsche soundtrack.

Oh, I do brake boosting for quarter mile runs and whenever I'm curious of what my 0-60 is after an update. Works pretty well. Gets to about 2500. The car just stock alone feels pretty quick to me. It's hard to understand the car just based on acceleration times. It's a very torque-y engine and makes you laugh like a little kid at times because of it.

They actually pair the 3.0R H6 engine to the 6MT overseas. Someone from XRT in Australia has one he said it's a blast to drive. I've heard that you should use the 6MT instead of the 5MT with the 3.6 given the power out of the engine. It can be pushed a bit as well. ItalianLegacy has the Raptor Supercharger with a FMIC and a full exhaust system and a few other things. I believe he's around 356WHP? Just guessing. Ed would probably know. They're not impressive overall but given stock the 3.6R is about 205, I think it's pretty incredible.

Hello, probably a final post for awhile. Not much else to do until I get an exhaust welded up so the tuning is coming to an end, for now. Ed's been hard at work, sending revisions and I've been out, driving around like "The Stig" (not really) for the last week and a half or so, logging and reporting back with results. Ed's gotten the tune to a very good point. The power is now very linear. She pulls from the point of smashing the gas up until 6000RPM. 3rd gear has always shown more power and now it's a joy to drive around in. I'd be a politician if I said I wasn't happy :lol: I should note, my cars completely stock, include air filter aside from the 93 Octane BP gas that I use and the Nanotech Lubricants oil additive which I've been using since February. Which the additive definitely helps. Oh, I should also say that he does tweak the ECU in a way that indirectly affects the transmission. It's now shifting smooth and firm. As well as the sound of the exhaust is very nice. Doesn't sound like your grandma's Accord anymore, haha.

But anywho, I'd like to send out a big thanks to him for his help and to anyone, especially someone who drives an N/A, give XRT a try if you need an e-tune. The process is a bit time consuming but Rome wasn't built in a day and great things can't happen over night.

I'd also like to stress, a properly maintained car makes all the difference. High mileage plugs, dirty injectors, exhaust leaks, intake leaks, old intake air filters, all robbing the car of potential power and sometimes detrimental to the car itself. It really shows in the results I've been getting since day one.

Here is my latest quarter mile run. Still need to confirm time with a drag strip which I may do soon or springtime next year at the Test N' Tune Thursdays at a strip nearby.

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/download/file.php?id=1777

Also my stock vs last ROM comparison. I'm a bit shocked as well. I'm gonna try to get on a dyno to compare the results and to see how 3rd gear looks through out the entire range. BTW, this is 2nd gear. Power is higher in 3rd because of gearing. You may have noticed on the quarter mile image.

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/download/file.php?id=1778

Overall, very satisfied customer. Will be returning for a re-tune come exhaust time. I've got tires/wheels/suspension to workout as well as brakes before I start going faster.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Conditions were near perfect so made one more go at it. I'm really impressed where it's come to from before. Nothing has changed with the tune since the last run, just simply had the best conditions and now on bottle 3 of Nanotech which I feel may be what's also helping.

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/download/file.php?id=1796

• 1 month later...

Returning for a brief update. Ed's done a bit of tweaking since the last time. The slight dip in torque seems to be smoothed out. She also pulls nicely to redline.

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/download/file.php?id=1808

Also switched to an AEM Drop-in filter after this. The result:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E72mVBXPbB0]2011 Subaru Legacy 3.6R[/ame]

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/download/file.php?id=1826

The 1/4 run, ATF didn't seem to be up to temp enough after 20 minutes of driving. Very cold that day. She paused a bit between 1st-2nd shift. Also pulled off throttle a bit early. Typically see around 5.5s to 60. Very much happy at this point. She's a little rocket.

He also adjusted the throttle so it's more linear. Much more able to control power now. Very nice.

I have a GoPro 2 incoming so driving video demonstrations of shifting and performance are incoming.

Much thanks to Edward again, for being a huge help. Never dissatisfied.

I've already got a catback planned out for when the time comes. 2.5" ID Vibrant 1141 Resonator into a 2.5" ID Vibrant 1793 Bottle-Style Resonator into dual Magnaflow 14827 mufflers.

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/download/file.php?id=1808

That's a gigantic powerband improvement. Was anything changed there? AVCS settings? Because before your torque was rolling off up top past 5900rpm or so, and now it looks like you're still pulling at about 6400rpm, maybe just barely leveling off. Does it fall off before it gets to the rev limiter?

• 2 weeks later...
That's a gigantic powerband improvement. Was anything changed there? AVCS settings? Because before your torque was rolling off up top past 5900rpm or so, and now it looks like you're still pulling at about 6400rpm, maybe just barely leveling off. Does it fall off before it gets to the rev limiter?

Edit:After a long talk with Ed, he explained better as to the differences in the graphs he posts. They can display based on vss (vehicle speed sensor) or RPM. One shows the power dip off at the top (how it feels) but the other displays the lower end power better.

There's also the true graph which just looks all sorts of crazy and is why he doesn't post. The torque is high at very low rpm (1000) but dips because of the torque converter then climbs at 3000 (which is what you see at the start of the graphs). Most the time the car is at 2500 or more anyways. So yes, it does fall off. The transmission does a good job holding power between shifts so it's not very noticeable.

He's smoothed out the dip that used to be there between 3500 and 4500. Now as soon as around 3000 hits, when the TC locks up it's just madness. This isn't a great comparison between OEM and AEM filter because the last run the weather was a bit warmer. Still continuing to work together. Learning more and more.

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/download/file.php?id=1842

• 2 weeks later...

Archived