LegacyGT.com

2015 WRX Recall - WQW - 58 - ECM Reprogramming for LSPI - Pre Ignition Issues

scontivt

Hello All,

Just wanted to share some WRX news with my Fellow LGT Forum members. There is a USDM recall for Early production 2015 WRX's (mine included)and 2014-15 FXT's to inspect (Full Leakdown Test and Spark Plug Inspection), reflash the ECM, and "repair" (read Replace) the engine/heads. There have been multiple failures documented on NASIOC in regards to this recall and it is only in the first week of the campaign. Engines are currently back-ordered from Japan and many repairs are now being quoted out to June. My recommendation is that if you have a car in the recall to get your FXT or WRX in as soon as possible to get off the Stock tune and onto the new update.

My WRX got a clean bill of health and a new tune

• 2 weeks later...

With all the problems I've been having with my LGT, I've actually been looking at the new WRX STi. My son will start driving in 3-4 years, and I've had my LGT for 8 years now. Assuming I can get through the reliability problems, I'd like to give the LGT to him and get into something like an STi. AWD and manual trans is the combination I'm looking for.

I wouldn't mind stepping "down" to a 3.6R (to get away from the turbo concept, which has left a sour taste in my mouth) but the new ones are all CVT.

This news is making me nervous though... It's just another reminder that turbocharged cars are always struggling to balance on that razor thin line between power with reliability. I work on cars as a hobby and I love it, but working on my DD stresses me the feck out. I'm about one phone call away from buying a NA CVT Legacy to commute in and demoting my LGT from DD to "project car".

Here endeth the rant. For now.

With all the problems I've been having with my LGT, I've actually been looking at the new WRX STi. My son will start driving in 3-4 years, and I've had my LGT for 8 years now. Assuming I can get through the reliability problems, I'd like to give the LGT to him and get into something like an STi. AWD and manual trans is the combination I'm looking for.

I wouldn't mind stepping "down" to a 3.6R (to get away from the turbo concept, which has left a sour taste in my mouth) but the new ones are all CVT.

This news is making me nervous though... It's just another reminder that turbocharged cars are always struggling to balance on that razor thin line between power with reliability. I work on cars as a hobby and I love it, but working on my DD stresses me the feck out. I'm about one phone call away from buying a NA CVT Legacy to commute in and demoting my LGT from DD to "project car".

I will say that Subaru has really stepped up to the plate on this and is replacing affected engines with new engine assemblies (long block with all the trimmings) if they fail a leakdown and visual spark inspection. That being said, they should have done the same for the LGT crowd. Maybe the sudden increase in sales and popularity have enabled them to more effectively react to problems?

:confused: The 80s are over. There are plenty of reliable examples of turbocharged engines out there. No need to fear. Perhaps the Legacy GT was an example of a car with an oil pan too small and that crazy banjo bolt, but we're talking over a decade since that debuted. That said, I never had any engine or turbo problems with my LGT when I sold it with 141k miles...the transmission was its downfall. It nearly killed me!

Subaru completed mine right away. There was even an error with scheduling (they told me that I could wait with it) and thus after the reprogram they did compression test, etc. So they provided me with a Crosstrek to drive in the mean time. I was pleased.

I'm sure you were pleased. I'm also pretty sure that you have been more pleased if you can had not had to deal with this at all?

Brand new turbocharged cars puking engines as the roll off the forecourt is not a good thing - and proof positive that a bad tune can easily destroy an turbo engine.

I love my subaru, don't get me wrong... But the failure pattern of "bad turbo = ynansb" is muy no beuno.

...I love my subaru, don't get me wrong... But the failure pattern of "bad turbo = ynansb" is muy no beuno.

One saving grace for the 2015+ WRX may be that the turbo is located in front of the engine below the oil pan, has its own oil pan, and uses a scavenging pump. Also, the location of the turbo means possibly less of a chance for chunks of the turbo going into the intake manifold. A blown turbo may not necessarily = "YNANSB". Only time will tell.

Archived