LegacyGT.com

2017 Legacy News and Rumors

dgoodhue

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Subaru consciously chose to lag in those features and make interior cheaper to offset the cost of AWD.

Yes, it's the first place they go when costs have to be cut. My '08 WRX has an interior like an '80s Kia compared to the '07. Appallingly plastic and nasty.

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I seem to enjoy the nice soft, feels like memory foam in the arm rest of the 2016 Outback. When we were pricing the car on line and saw what the eyesight system package and all it came with cost. We figured a price we were willing to pay, when the dealer came back with there first offer, almost $5000 off the sticker, it was a no brainer for us. They also gave us high trade in on the 2008 Ford Escape we traded in.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

What's the cost of the system, and what's your deductible? Or, what's the cost of TWO EyeSight systems, since statistically you won't rear-end someone once per vehicle?

I don't have an eye sight car. It wasn't available in 2012 and Subaru doesn't offer it on any MT vehicles. On some of the premium level cars where eye sight isn't lumped in a package with other options, its $1200 for the Legacy/Outback. On the Impreza line up, its around $800, but they don't include steering responsive fogs lights that the Legacy/Outback have.

I don't have an eye sight car. It wasn't available in 2012 and Subaru doesn't offer it on any MT vehicles. On some of the premium level cars where eye sight isn't lumped in a package with other options, its $1200 for the Legacy/Outback. On the Impreza line up, its around $800, but they don't include steering responsive fogs lights that the Legacy/Outback have.

Impreza's do have steering responsive fog lights.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I personally hate all those features. I want to be one with the vehicle as much as possible. Plus people could just learn how to be aware of their surroundings, pay attention and use some common sense. Instead let's just keep coming up with gadgets so people can be as lazy, careless and ignorant as they want. Also if you are unable to do those things then you shouldn't have a license. The blind spot kills me the most because with just about any vehicle you can adjust your mirrors so their is no blind spot, People just don't know how to correctly do that. There is also no need to fully turn your head to look like people do as that is even more dangerous!

Edit: Just to be clear I'm not saying those features aren't useful and make everyone safer as a whole. I just personally don't care for it and also believe most people are saying to themselves, "oh cool, now I don't have to do x or even know how to do x because it will do it for me. Kind of like kids and cellphones these days. They don't know jack because they can just google it.

Yes, human nature tells us people will use the technology to pay less attention to what's going on around them and use the time to watch YouTube videos of masturbating monkeys or ducks on skateboards. And this is before they start hacking the safety systems like the neutral or handbrake lockouts on in-dash video screens etc. put there to keep the dumbest of us from killing themselves before they get 1km away from the dealer lot.

Every year that goes by, my manual transmission car becomes theft-proofed to another several percent of the population by way of this kind of dumbing-down. OTOH, the ones that are honest but dumb are that much more likely to kill me with their cars while they're busy updating their FB status instead of looking out the ******* windows like they're supposed to be.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Impreza's do have steering responsive fog lights.

You are right, it looks like they added it in 2016. My wife was new car 1 1/2 ago and was looking at 2015 Forester, eye sight was $800 option on the Premium and seemed like a no brainer. I suspect the Impreza line up's eye sight has less features than the $1200 Legacy/Outback eye sight.

People are going to do dumb things while driving. There are only going to be more and more distractions for drivers. There is never going to be any regulation that calls for an increase in driver training and skill. For those reasons, driver assistance technologies are only going to be more prevalent. They could mean the difference between some teenager totaling your increasingly rare theft-proofed manual or just a close call. The declining death rates give credence to the continued development of nanny tech.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, human nature tells us people will use the technology to pay less attention to what's going on around them and use the time to watch YouTube videos of masturbating monkeys or ducks on skateboards. And this is before they start hacking the safety systems like the neutral or handbrake lockouts on in-dash video screens etc. put there to keep the dumbest of us from killing themselves before they get 1km away from the dealer lot.

Every year that goes by, my manual transmission car becomes theft-proofed to another several percent of the population by way of this kind of dumbing-down. OTOH, the ones that are honest but dumb are that much more likely to kill me with their cars while they're busy updating their FB status instead of looking out the ******* windows like they're supposed to be.

One thing that makes me nervous about automatic braking cars, is they put me more at risk of an accident for those who are over confident of their technology. When the auto breaking system engages, it is going to be a last minute full braking situation, which can start accidents.

Of the rear ending accident I have seen, it seem like its 50-50 on who causes the accident. Sometimes, it the 2nd car isn't paying attention, but I quite a few I have seen is the front car slams on their brakes and narrowly misses the car in front of them but get rear ended by the car behind them.

Side Note - I know that the rear ending cars is technically 100% at fault because they didn't leave enough room, but I drive on crowd highways where if you leave the suggested 1 car length per 10 mph, but you will constantly be cut off and it put yourself more at risk, so you have balance the distant you leave, so you aren't being cut off.

if you leave the suggested 1 car length per 10 mph, but you will constantly be cut off and it put yourself more at risk, so you have balance the distant you leave, so you aren't being cut off.

You're definitely right on that one. Same thing here. That's just too bad.

I seem to enjoy the nice soft, feels like memory foam in the arm rest of the 2016 Outback. When we were pricing the car on line and saw what the eyesight system package and all it came with cost. We figured a price we were willing to pay, when the dealer came back with there first offer, almost $5000 off the sticker, it was a no brainer for us. They also gave us high trade in on the 2008 Ford Escape we traded in.

Wait, you bought an outback? H4 or H6?

Besides adaptive cruise control, I don't understand the unbridled love for EyeSight. How often are you rear-ending people that you see this as a total must-have? I haven't driven the 2016 Legacy, but I've driven the new Fusion, and it's very nice. Based on history, I can scarcely believe the Legacy is as well appointed as the Fusion considering Subaru has always been about 2-4 years behind the curve when it comes to in-vehicle features.

eyesight is designed to help you avoid rear ending someone and it is worth the price of admission if you ask me....

eyesight is designed to help you avoid rear ending someone and it is worth the price of admission if you ask me....

We know what it was designed for. In practice it will be used as a step toward a self-driving car, and people will use it to spend more time with their eyes on smartphones.

Sent from a device using some software.

In another twenty years the internet will drive our cars. Another twenty after than the gov't will be giving us permission on what we can drive, when, and where, as well as how fast and in which directions. It's the nanny state out of control and people are eating it up today in the present, walking blindly and willingly into it's maw with a health food shake in one hand, giving a peace sign with the other, while a big jackass eating cactus grin adorns their faces.

I prefer to control as many aspects of my life as possible, thank you very much.

Here's an idea, how about we mandate anyone over the age of 65 who has to take the eye test at the BMV three times to pass it, has had more than two crashes in the last year, and has to sit on a phone book to see over the dash be required to only drive cars with Eyesight type technology as a condition of keeping their license?

Technology is great for people who cannot or will not take responsibility for their own actions. Eyesight is the only option (besides steering sensitive driving lights, big whoop) I didn't want on my car because I find it irritating and would only turn it off. I as well as everyone in my family has managed to drive all of their adult lives without rear ending anyone or driving off the road falling asleep or chasing a rabbit because we pay attention to the task at hand, not putzing with phones and shit.

God knows I wish they would build a nice car like the Legacy and leave out all the tech BS, simply concentrating on a well built and reliable car.

People are increasingly distracted behind the wheel and doing increasingly stupid, erratic things.

Last week, I had my doors blown off by a guy in a black Porsche who was staring in the rearview mirror while he was brushing his teeth. Drivers are eating, dressing, texting, wearing headphones, and God knows what else.

For me, eyesight isn't there so that I too can update my facebook status on the interstate. it's there to help me deal with all the unpredictable, fast moving idiocy out there. People die in car accidents every day, and even if they aren't hurt, acccident repairs are expensive. rising insurance premiums are expensive. if eyesight saves me from just one fender-bender over its service life, it has paid for itself. I call that cheap insurance.

As for the move towards autonomous vehicles, I can't say I'm completely comfortable with it...but this one fact is undeniable. I'd rather trust a net of sensors, an on-board computer and an algorithm than trust the distracted soccer mom texting her girlfriend while blowing through the redl ight in her SUV.

So far the only time I almost rear-ended someone was when I got a problem with the brake system on the old car I had - brake servo failure caused the brake pedal to go to the floor with only partial brake force remaining.
453747.png

They are trying to replace the loose nut behind the wheel when all along they should be fixing the loose nut behind the wheel.

Yup. Driver standards keep falling, so what does govt. do about that? Lower speed limits!

You're definitely right on that one. Same thing here. That's just too bad.

Wait, you bought an outback? H4 or H6?

3.6R of course. It's actually her car. I do drive it when we go out together.

Funny thing happened last Fall when I told her it was time to trade in her car, the first thing out of her mouth was, "I don't want a 4 cylinder".

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

One thing that makes me nervous about automatic braking cars, is they put me more at risk of an accident for those who are over confident of their technology. When the auto breaking system engages, it is going to be a last minute full braking situation, which can start accidents.

Of the rear ending accident I have seen, it seem like its 50-50 on who causes the accident. Sometimes, it the 2nd car isn't paying attention, but I quite a few I have seen is the front car slams on their brakes and narrowly misses the car in front of them but get rear ended by the car behind them.

The concern I have with automatic braking (I believe the 2017 has eyesight, as well as the reverse braking system, available) is that sooner or later we'll see cases where the system decides it's time to slam on the brakes, when there is no reason to - or conversely, it fails to act in a situation it's supposed to (and the inattentive driver is depending on it)...

I find the reverse braking much more of a "want to have" than the forward braking... for situations when you are backing out of a parking spot slowly because you can't see through the ginormous truck or SUV that's next to you, and folks zipping down the lanes in the parking lot can't seem to grasp the concept that if you can't see the driver of the car that's backing out, the driver can't see you...

The concern I have with automatic braking (I believe the 2017 has eyesight, as well as the reverse braking system, available) is that sooner or later we'll see cases where the system decides it's time to slam on the brakes, when there is no reason to - or conversely, it fails to act in a situation it's supposed to (and the inattentive driver is depending on it)...

I find the reverse braking much more of a "want to have" than the forward braking... for situations when you are backing out of a parking spot slowly because you can't see through the ginormous truck or SUV that's next to you, and folks zipping down the lanes in the parking lot can't seem to grasp the concept that if you can't see the driver of the car that's backing out, the driver can't see you...

Eyesight has been on sale in Japan for nearly 10 years. Over 85% of Subarus sold there are equipped with it. From 2010 to 2014, JDM eyesight equipped vehicles had 80% fewer rear end crashes, 50% fewer pedestrian collisions, and 60% less accidents overall than non eyesight equipped Subarus... and that's with the old system and not the the current one that sees more, sees in color, and is faster in processing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Eyesight has been on sale in Japan for nearly 10 years. Over 85% of Subarus sold there are equipped with it. From 2010 to 2014, JDM eyesight equipped vehicles had 80% fewer rear end crashes, 50% fewer pedestrian collisions, and 60% less accidents overall than non eyesight equipped Subarus... and that's with the old system and not the the current one that sees more, sees in color, and is faster in processing.

Where does this data come from, please cite a source.

:nono: Don't use Ford as something you compare with.

I have poured more money into my Subaru than I reasonably should have considering how well I maintain that car. Bad wheel bearing assembly just out of warranty, head gaskets at 90k mi, paintless dent repair for a minor hail storm thanks to ultra thin sheetmetal, just to name a few of the more expensive items. And now I'm afraid my torque converter just failed on me at 133k miles. The car is basically undrivable with severe shudder. And the climate control fan just quit too, to add insult to injury. If I see one more bullshit ad about how Subarus last forever....I'd say they're average at best, and I wouldn't choose another feature lagging Subaru over, say, a well equipped Fusion based on any expectation of superior reliability.

I have poured more money into my Subaru than I reasonably should have considering how well I maintain that car. Bad wheel bearing assembly just out of warranty, head gaskets at 90k mi, paintless dent repair for a minor hail storm thanks to ultra thin sheetmetal, just to name a few of the more expensive items. And now I'm afraid my torque converter just failed on me at 133k miles. The car is basically undrivable with severe shudder. And the climate control fan just quit too, to add insult to injury. If I see one more bullshit ad about how Subarus last forever....I'd say they're average at best, and I wouldn't choose another feature lagging Subaru over, say, a well equipped Fusion based on any expectation of superior reliability.

Regardless of your car, the Fusion is historically less reliable than a Legacy (the longest lasting midsize sedan). Are you prepared to deal with that?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived