LegacyGT.com

2017 Legacy News and Rumors

dgoodhue

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will take a NA H6/V6 over a small turbo 4 any day of the week... less noise, smoother power delivery and less maint

The 2.0 DIT is quieter and has smoother power delivery than the 3.6. Based on Consumer Reports data, it's less prone to oil consumption as well. The drawback would be premium fuel for max power and fuel economy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I, for one, welcome our new electrical overlords.

Well, to be honest, I do. Imagine how much less complex vehicles will be when they don't have gasoline engines any more... No geared transmissions...

Just think of how much quieter your neighborhood would be with no engine noises. I work right next to a freeway and hear cars all the time - especially the ones that are flooring it on the ramp. When we're all electric you'll only hear tires.

I live out in the boonies so I can still hear the freeway even though it's almost 3 miles away.

If they build a 3.6 turbo, Subaru can take my first born.

This is how I feel but I'll keep my kid.

I've always thought it was weird that to increase power they remove displacement and replace it with a smaller forced induction motor and work it to death to get the desired result. Seems silly to me. Why not simply turbo the bigger motor? Ok, now we have the standard horse power engine plus a turbo standard engine making 20% more power. Easy peezy.

But no they'll remove the engine that works easier to make power only to put a in a tiny motor and stress it to the limits of it's life.

Warning, stream-of-consiousness blue-sky rant:

Think of Carbon Credit0 - Where a cleaner factory that only emits 50% of the federal pollution limit can sell the rights to emit the additional 50% to a dirty factory that has not yet completed its pollution reduction efforts. When you average both factories together they will still meet federal regulations overall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emissions_trading

Car companies are required to meet an overall fleet average MPG for all cars they sell. This explains why shitboxes like the Cobalt were sold in bulk at-or-below cost to car rental companies so that they improve the company's average MPG enough to let them sell enough corvettes to meet the demand.

So why not merge those concepts? Work out an amount of money that it would cost the car companies to offset the additional pollutants emitted by cars that are over the federal average mpg requirement and charge the buyer that extra money. The extra money would be required to be used for making their factories greener or investing in greener engine technology research, giving subsidies to spur the sale of electric vehicles etc, such that the overall effect is the end-to-end emissions are in compliance with the law.

Now, if they come back and say "every MPG below 25 is $5k" then your 19mpg turbo H6 will have a 30k "mpg surcharge" and isn't going to sell, so the car companies have an incentive to be financially efficient with the mpg surcharge. But the fact that they can charge this money and use it for investing in green technologies is an incentive to offer "enthusiast" engine options that require surcharge.

From my perspective, if the overall choice is paying a $500-per-mpg surcharge below 25mpg to buy a 19mpg turbo h6 -OR- the company simply doesn't make a turbo h6... then I'll pay the $3k. Especially knowing that extra money is required by law to be invested in green technologies.

Yesterday at the NY auto show I asked one of the Subaru people about the chances of the US seeing a Turbo legacy back on US shores. They told me that there were rumors about Subaru phasing of the EZ engines and replacing them with a turbo 4 most likely being the FA20 with a turbo slapped on it like the one that is being sold in china. However I forgot to ask about the return of a standard transmission for the USDM market (if the GT makes a return with only an auto in the US I would consider importing one from Canada).

Im not really sure about that. I would imagine not that expensive. If the case comes up like I said then I would have to look into it more. I dont think it will be that expensive because its basically right next door to the US and I dont have to pay for shipping oversea's.

It would definitely cost a little extra cash to bring it over and register it in the US. I feel like it would be a fairly simple process since we are neighbors and our emissions and such are similar. would be easier than importing from japan or china for sure.

The problems are tax-related as much as emissions. When you buy the car in Canada you are paying Canadian import tax on it (wrapped into the cost) and when you subsequently import it in to the US you are paying US import taxes.

Archived