LegacyGT.com

Tigger73's MY15 2.5i

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much were the rotors, tigger? I myself have a part waiting for me at the dealership to pick up tomorrow too. :)

These were $113 each or $226 for the set of 2. I decided not to go with the OEM 3.6R pads as these were quite expensive compared to aftermarket alternatives which perform as good as or better and are less dusty. So I've got some Intima SS pads coming soon.

These were $113 each or $226 for the set of 2. I decided not to go with the OEM 3.6R pads as these were quite expensive compared to aftermarket alternatives which perform as good as or better and are less dusty. So I've got some Intima SS pads coming soon.

Wow, that's pretty cheap! By comparison I'm paying $180 for a piece of plastic!

• 2 weeks later...

Front brake upgrade complete!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160716/cf946c2c4df086f95a32cd4918be248a.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160716/0a1935f9c663440ac4c853fe1fd8d041.jpg

27739036443_9e4736a4bf_c.jpg

So effectively my 2.5i now has the same brake setup as a 3.6R with upgraded pads on the front for improved braking and less dust.

Stock front rotors on 2.5i are 294mm and 3.6R are 316mm. Initial driving is that the car pulls up better. I don't have any quantitative numbers but there's definitely more bite to the brakes now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by tigger73

• 3 weeks later...

Had a retune on the weekend. Matt (throttlehappy) had found some more maps to fix when he was doing some pre-work for tuning the FB25 for raptor superchargers.... and before you ask no it's not for me ;)

Anyway low down torque has improved and it really pulls well from the line. Not sure what the nanny limiters were but it certainly has freed up a lot more. Be interesting to find out what the 0-100 is now. Should be consistently in the 7's I'm guessing.

Edited by tigger73

Had a retune on the weekend. Matt (throttlehappy) had found some more maps to fix when he was doing some pre-work for tuning the FB25 for raptor superchargers.... and before you ask no it's not for me ;)

Anyway low down torque has improved and it really pulls well from the line. Not sure what the nanny limiters were but it certainly has freed up a lot more. Be interesting to find out what the 0-100 is now. Should be consistently in the 7's I'm guessing.

Hey tigger, so if I got the supercharger and installed it myself, would he be able to remotely tune that or would I have to get on a dyno at a shop?

Hey tigger, so if I got the supercharger and installed it myself, would he be able to remotely tune that or would I have to get on a dyno at a shop?

He would do a remote tune on it. I'm pretty sure Matt has remote tuned the FB20 + supercharger as there's a few of these running around in some stealthy Impreza/XV's ;)

Though if I were you I'd get the car tuned first (without supercharger) and see how this feels.

Now that I'm running the latest tune I'm pretty happy with how the car drives. It's a big improvement over stock.

However I will say this. In Oz we get the JDM spec which comes with S/I drive in the 2.5. This does mean I have 2 selectable driving modes which I think makes a difference for general pick-up and responsive driving. Nobody I know of can tune the CVT, however with S/I drive at least I have a more sporty auto selection (other than driving in manual mode). If I'm going for a spirited drive through the hills I will run in manual mode but for "normal" day to day driving I will use "S" mode. The only time I slip it across to "I" is on the highway cruising to drop the RPM lower.

Be interesting to find out what the 0-100 is now. Should be consistently in the 7's I'm guessing.

You're running 245 width tyres, right? Do you think you'd have better 0-100 times with stock tyres, and therefore less rolling resistance?

In Oz we get the JDM spec which comes with S/I drive in the 2.5. This does mean I have 2 selectable driving modes which I think makes a difference for general pick-up and responsive driving. Nobody I know of can tune the CVT, however with S/I drive at least I have a more sporty auto selection (other than driving in manual mode). If I'm going for a spirited drive through the hills I will run in manual mode but for "normal" day to day driving I will use "S" mode. The only time I slip it across to "I" is on the highway cruising to drop the RPM lower.

I can't imagine not having S mode because of the improved low-end torque and the way it stays in gear much longer when you use the paddles in auto mode, vs I mode where it switches back to auto too quickly. I also only switch back to I mode on the highway to lower the revs (typically by about 500 rpm). Otherwise it's S all the way.

So do USDM models have their own unique mode that is neither I, nor S, but something else? I wonder.

Edited by surmiser
@redvenetian on Instagram

You're running 245 width tyres, right? Do you think you'd have better 0-100 times with stock tyres, and therefore less rolling resistance?

I really don't think it makes much difference in terms of rolling resistance. Though the 245 Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2's I'm running do give a lot more grip when cornering which is quite noticeable (and don't squeal like the stock Dunlops used to).

I can't imagine not having S mode because of the improved low-end torque and the way it stays in gear much longer when you use the paddles in auto mode, vs I mode where it switches back to auto too quickly. I also only switch back to I mode on the highway to lower the revs (typically by about 500 rpm). Otherwise it's S all the way.

So do USDM models have their own unique mode that is neither I, nor S, but something else? I wonder.

Yes US spec cars only get a single fixed mode and don't get the S/I drive option. It will be a program somewhere between Sport and economy.

He would do a remote tune on it. I'm pretty sure Matt has remote tuned the FB20 + supercharger as there's a few of these running around in some stealthy Impreza/XV's ;)

Though if I were you I'd get the car tuned first (without supercharger) and see how this feels.

Now that I'm running the latest tune I'm pretty happy with how the car drives. It's a big improvement over stock.

However I will say this. In Oz we get the JDM spec which comes with S/I drive in the 2.5. This does mean I have 2 selectable driving modes which I think makes a difference for general pick-up and responsive driving. Nobody I know of can tune the CVT, however with S/I drive at least I have a more sporty auto selection (other than driving in manual mode). If I'm going for a spirited drive through the hills I will run in manual mode but for "normal" day to day driving I will use "S" mode. The only time I slip it across to "I" is on the highway cruising to drop the RPM lower.

Yea I plan on getting it tuned sometime before the end of the year, a couple other little things then next year is when I will really debate on pulling the trigger on the supercharger. If only getting it tuned makes that much of a difference like you have experienced then maybe that'll be good enough but we'll see, knowing that he can remotely tune it if I install the supercharger makes me want it that much more :spin::spin::spin:

Yea I plan on getting it tuned sometime before the end of the year, a couple other little things then next year is when I will really debate on pulling the trigger on the supercharger. If only getting it tuned makes that much of a difference like you have experienced then maybe that'll be good enough but we'll see, knowing that he can remotely tune it if I install the supercharger makes me want it that much more :spin::spin::spin:

Remember by just getting it tuned and no supercharger it will take him time to develop it and lots of time. I'm looking at the supercharger as well and would like to do it this fall/winter if I can get the OK for funds. I have been talking to Matt about it and because he is a supplier he can get a good deal on the premium one. He said the 0-60 time would be in the mid to high 4's... That's half of what my car does now! That would be a real head turner..

Remember by just getting it tuned and no supercharger it will take him time to develop it and lots of time. I'm looking at the supercharger as well and would like to do it this fall/winter if I can get the OK for funds. I have been talking to Matt about it and because he is a supplier he can get a good deal on the premium one. He said the 0-60 time would be in the mid to high 4's... That's half of what my car does now! That would be a real head turner..

Wow that would be crazy, has he said anything about our cvt's though because that is my only concern, if it can handle that much extra power

Wow that would be crazy, has he said anything about our cvt's though because that is my only concern, if it can handle that much extra power

I asked about doing E85 and he said he would like to tune one locally on E85 to see if it can handle THAT power. He didn't say anything about it being a concern.

My dream would to be convert it to a manual somehow/someday so thinking long term.. I'm not totally worried about the CVT

Edited by 15LegacyRyan

Ryan if you haven't already get the retune as it's a noticeable improvement.

I probably won't go E85 as I think I'd only use it once or maybe twice just for a bit of fun. Though the biggest plus Matt did say for our cars is that there is no need for any hardware changes as our injectors are big enough to handle the extra flow. So an E85 flex tune (which detects the fuel octane and adjusts accordingly) is only a software upgrade.

The challenge for me is that my company probably wouldn't be keen on paying the E85 fuel bill and there are only a couple of petrol/gas stations that have E85.

Ryan if you haven't already get the retune as it's a noticeable improvement.

I probably won't go E85 as I think I'd only use it once or maybe twice just for a bit of fun. Though the biggest plus Matt did say for our cars is that there is no need for any hardware changes as our injectors are big enough to handle the extra flow. So an E85 flex tune (which detects the fuel octane and adjusts accordingly) is only a software upgrade.

The challenge for me is that my company probably wouldn't be keen on paying the E85 fuel bill and there are only a couple of petrol/gas stations that have E85.

I'm getting the car on a dyno on the 26th so hopefully we can see some progress! [emoji1417]

So I could go fill my car with E85 right now and have no issues (with a tune)?

Why do you say they wouldn't like the bill? E85 is cheaper here, is it not there?

I'm getting the car on a dyno on the 26th so hopefully we can see some progress! [emoji1417]

So I could go fill my car with E85 right now and have no issues (with a tune)?

Why do you say they wouldn't like the bill? E85 is cheaper here, is it not there?

If you haven't done it already I'd recommend doing a full reset on your car. I posted up the procedure before somewhere.

Yes you could run E85 with the correct flex tune. Though Matt wants to do the first one locally so that he can log it/road tune it to make sure it's behaving.

I work for a larger company and they have some fairly strict policies around fuel/expenses. I get a fuel card which is for 91/95 at fixed brand service/gas stations.

DYNO RESULTS / TUNING

Here's the dyno results for the car in stock tune. Peak is around 92kW @ 5,500RPM

17450908645_175981892a_c.jpg

The "blip" at the end is the gear change. Interesting is that the gearbox pushes through more torque on the gear change so this is probably closer to the potential of the car.

And a short clip:

Tune Round 1

OK Matt installed the new tune tonight and initial drive home is that it has woken the engine up quite a bit. Throttle response is improved and there's a decent amount more torque through the mid-range. Car is going on the dyno on Monday so I'll be able to quantify numbers a little better in a couple of days.

Ran a couple of quick 0-100 runs and best time was 9.08s - which is ~0.9sec improvement over stock.

It's never going to be a performance sedan, however what it does do is improve the driveability on the 2.5 NA.

Should have some fuel economy figures in a couple of weeks too. Stock I was averaging 8.2-8.3 l/100km so it will be interesting to see how this improves over time.Went out on the highway this morning for some early(ish) runs. Car runs consistently in the high 8's / low 9's. Best time was 8.62 and this was with a full tank of fuel.

I am seriously stoked.

Now I know for a lot of you guys with turbo cars this is a bit of a joke but for a NA car that was running 10's to drop over a full second in the 0-100 with just a tune is an exceptionally good result. It's pretty much the best I could have hoped for out of the car.

I'm really interested what the dyno is going to show in improvement in torque delivery, however from the road results and general more "aliveness" of the car I don't think I could be happier.

A big thanks to Matt at KiDo :DDyno results from this morning - red (stock), green (tune)

23657253031_8a19919976_c.jpg

Tune Round 2

I've been trying to get some data other than the bum data, but it's been pretty hot in Adelaide since getting it retuned. At this point it's definitely smoother and less torque dump on gear change, however I'm not sure if it's picked up enough in other areas to compensate. Though getting on/off the accelerator coming out of corners is a lot more "natural" feeling and the car responds more in line with the throttle input rather than having a lag so there's definitely some driveability improvements.

I was really hoping to have a bit more to say but will hopefully get back out on the highway for some more runs in the next couple of days. I did a couple of quick runs but ended up with garbage data - GPS timer didn't catch the start of the run and only gave me a 30-100 time.

After a number of 35+degC days it finally cooled off today so I went out tonight and got a number of decent runs in. GPS timer agrees with the bum dyno it's definitely smoother... and quicker :)

0-100 is now dropped another 0.5 sec to average of 8.4sec over 10 runs out/back. So that's a total of 1.6sec off the stock time. For a 2.5 NA I am impressed!

The goal is to find another 0.5sec to get it into the 7's and then I think we'll call it job done. So when Matt's back at the end of Feb it's going to get run on the dyno and with some final tweaks hopefully find those last few tenths.

Tune Round 3

Now time to get a little more serious. I've had a full exhaust installed including custom headers and high flow cat. After a retune, there's a lot more torque - particularly low down.

Dyno results below, however rev 2 tune with headers was run with 91 octane and stock was with 95. Even still the tuned version performs quite a bit better.

25179720651_e0013e6564_o.jpg

And now for the all important 0-100 time... the average is now 8.0 with some pretty consistent runs between 7.9 and 8.1 . Best time below:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160226/97c49fc9e546c284e47dfe2e9588e9b5.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160226/f5d66696bdf6802c29876389357a0b79.jpg

Here's a summary table with all the 0-100 runs. Average times highlighted in the bottom row - there's an improvement of 2.0sec over the stock 2.5 with the tune and headers.

27687714526_b572bab10b_o.jpg

And just for completeness here's all the runs for the Rev2 tune with headers:

25299177956_65ab2a70e2_c.jpg

Question.... I spoke with a local tuner in my area and he said he isnt sure that my model is supported for ay type of tuning. Obviously this thread tells me entirely different. Anyway you could find out for me how this can be done by your guy? Im tired of feeling like im pulling a trailer when the light turns green. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

@BeastCoast1

Question.... I spoke with a local tuner in my area and he said he isnt sure that my model is supported for ay type of tuning. Obviously this thread tells me entirely different. Anyway you could find out for me how this can be done by your guy? Im tired of feeling like im pulling a trailer when the light turns green. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Talk to Matt at throttle happy. He tuned mine. He does great work for a great price

Reading this thread makes me want to tune more and more...but with my sudden oil consumption I'm definitely waiting until my warranty is up...if I can wait that long:spin::lol::lol:

I've got over 30k miles and I had waited long enough so I pulled the trigger. Worth it

I've had my car tuned for 7+ months and put ~20,000km/12,500miles on it since. No problems with the tune/engine/transmission at all. Not that I was ever expecting there to be.

It is a calculated risk with warranty. I did wait until after the 2nd service to get the tune put on. I was happy that there hadn't been any faults with the car in the first 25,000km/15,000 miles. I probably would have put the tune on a little sooner but it was only available from late last year.

A lot of the engine maps are brought over from 5th gen 2.5 and these tunes have been out and tested now for quite a few years. I haven't heard of any tuned 2.5's having issues.

I think that the power/torque increases that I have now with my car are still well within the engineering safety margins that these cars are built/designed with. I'm not trying to push the boundaries/find the limits, so I'll leave the superchargers and E85 fuel alone for now at least ;)

Thanks!

+1 for Matt who is on here as throttlehappy. He has tuned quite a few gen6 now.

I don't believe there's any other tuner that has tuned the gen6 yet. There's not a large market for NA tuning.

The other thing that separates throttlehappy from a lot of the ECU tuners is that he will also adjust things like your throttle map and do some indirect CVT tuning to make the CVT and engine more responsive. A lot of the larger tuners like Ecutek don't / can't adjust this stuff. Just the indirect transmission tune makes a decent difference.

For the guys on the US it requires remote tuning with a laptop and Tactrix cable. Ryan and a few others have done this. The process is reasonably straight forward.

+1 for Matt who is on here as throttlehappy. He has tuned quite a few gen6 now.

I don't believe there's any other tuner that has tuned the gen6 yet. There's not a large market for NA tuning.

The other thing that separates throttlehappy from a lot of the ECU tuners is that he will also adjust things like your throttle map and do some indirect CVT tuning to make the CVT and engine more responsive. A lot of the larger tuners like Ecutek don't / can't adjust this stuff. Just the indirect transmission tune makes a decent difference.

For the guys on the US it requires remote tuning with a laptop and Tactrix cable. Ryan and a few others have done this. The process is reasonably straight forward.

Ive never had a car tuned before, could you give me some insight on the process? Also, i see mention of warranty above... i only have 6,000 miles on my car, is this something i should wait to do until my warranty is up?

Thanks again

@BeastCoast1