LegacyGT.com

How do I clean a used Intercooler?

I finally bought an oem replacement for my leaky 2005 oem TMIC. Problem was I found it on ebay.

What's the best way to flush out, clean, and inspect one of these for damage or contamination with house-hold equipment? I'm trying to find someone who will let me use their parts washer but if I can use brake clean (this seems really iffy) and water or a light detergent into a rubbermaid container with good results I'd rather do that as I plan to do the install myself.

Any thoughts?

You can easily flush it with water-it's just a heater core with different tanks on the ends. Just check it for flow with the water by taping up the BPV hole, and the turbo flange and filling it up with water. Flip it over and it should dump out very quickly and be empty. If not, then clean it with dishwashing liquid and water and let it sit for an hour or so and then flush it several times. The diswashing liquid will cut the grease and oil inside.

Joeleodee, I always start each post with a really thorough search beforehand. I couldn't find anything on the subject here or on the subaruoutback forums so I made a post.

Light (dish) soap seems like the best way not to corrode the foam gasket on the side tanks imo. Could you please clarify your suggestion or point me towards where I might find that answer?

Thanks in advance!

Joeleodee, I always start each post with a really thorough search beforehand. I couldn't find anything on the subject here or on the subaruoutback forums so I made a post.

Light (dish) soap seems like the best way not to corrode the foam gasket on the side tanks imo. Could you please clarify your suggestion or point me towards where I might find that answer?

Thanks in advance!

I think he was referring to an old Subaru joke about "getting soap in your intercooler." If I recall, years ago somebody on nasioc or some other site was genuinely concerned that washing a turbo Subaru and getting soap in the hood scoop would be bad for the intercooler.

Dish soap is fine to help clean out any grime and oil. Just rinse it out well and leave it hanging to dry for a couple days.

Archived