LegacyGT.com

The Rear O2 sensor, can i use a "generic" one?

Hello boys! Happy Holidays

the car has a defective some years with the rear o2 sensor non working ... that’s the code I got from the check engine light and I already tested the sensor wires with the multimeter.

I never got interested to fix that because u use the car very little (about 4-5k per year), but now I have to use it more often, and I know this car is not too fuel efficient, but it is using too much fuel.

At idle, the exhaust smell much to a rich mixture. And I know that when the rear o2 sensor is bad, the ECU sets to the richest setting by default.

Then this is the situation:

In eBay, the sensor cost about $90-140 (genuine, the same part number) but other suppliers sells the same sensor for $15-25, they (says that it is the same sensor, that it will work for the car, one of then even told me that it is the same sensor that what makes “genuine” the original one is just the connector while the “non genuine” has three bare wired cables so I just have to solder to the original connector and that’s it…

some others even told me that as long it has the same resistance the service manual says...

I know a little of electronic, basic stuff, measuring, using the multimeter, soldering desoldering… I have seen the original and the non original in my hands (from another vehicle and it looks lot similar, the build quality is the same, just that the non original has no connector…

What do you guys think?

Hello boys! Happy Holidays

the car has a defective some years with the rear o2 sensor non working ... that’s the code I got from the check engine light and I already tested the sensor wires with the multimeter.

I never got interested to fix that because u use the car very little (about 4-5k per year), but now I have to use it more often, and I know this car is not too fuel efficient, but it is using too much fuel.

At idle, the exhaust smell much to a rich mixture. And I know that when the rear o2 sensor is bad, the ECU sets to the richest setting by default.

Then this is the situation:

In eBay, the sensor cost about $90-140 (genuine, the same part number) but other suppliers sells the same sensor for $15-25, they (says that it is the same sensor, that it will work for the car, one of then even told me that it is the same sensor that what makes “genuine” the original one is just the connector while the “non genuine” has three bare wired cables so I just have to solder to the original connector and that’s it…

some others even told me that as long it has the same resistance the service manual says...

I know a little of electronic, basic stuff, measuring, using the multimeter, soldering desoldering… I have seen the original and the non original in my hands (from another vehicle and it looks lot similar, the build quality is the same, just that the non original has no connector…

What do you guys think?

What year? My 93 never had a rear sensor

Hi bcmaxx

thank you for your time

yes, mine has, i found quite weird yours doesnt

in the country where am i mechanics tend to remove it.... its a stupid practice... but thats in here in this country, place of the worse mechanic practice and customs

i found really weird your legacy not using that sensor and even weirder the fact that has been removed by a mechanic before your knowledge, maybe if imported from a 3rd world country... even weirder..

mine has one

check the image

and in the part chart, it mentiosn only one, just as pictured

http://s30.postimg.org/n11ff6c0h/Clip_6.jpg

It must be a canada spec thing. My 93 before i turboed the car had all original exhaust and no place forca rear sensor. My friends 92 turbo same just a front one. My other friends 91 fwd also has just the front. 95+ has front and rear

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and I am curious as to why I can't find a rear o2 sensor on my 93 legacy sedan.... All info I've found says there's suppose to be one pre-cat and one after, but mine only seems to have one. Ecu codes say o2 sensor non working and non working solenoid valve (purge valve) I was told is right name....Idk. My car is really starting to run rough and has a definite miss/stutter while idling or accelerating. Any help would be greatly appreciated if anyone has dealt with this before. Thanks

Hi buddy!

there is a probability that some genius when servicing something in the exhaust system... decided to remove the catalytic and the o2 sensor with it...

that's a very very common practices in third words countries

in this case i have been a victim of that situation... and i am tryint to fix thing (i was a kid when that was removed, now i have little more knowledge of things and i want to replace it

Hi guys

i have a question

one nasty mechanic removed the catalytic in this car and replace it with a "Y" union... the guy soldered the sensor's socket to one of the inlets of the Y,

therefore.. the sensor is in contact with the gases of one side of the engine..

it does not matte or it must be in contact with the gases from the for cylinders... (soldering the socket in the union and not in one of the input pipes

is that right?

• 3 months later...

Hi!

i have read that on this model there is not a really an appreciable difference in gas mileage, i know it is for keeping the gases wihtin the manufacturer range... but usually it improves the fuel mileage since without it (the o2 sensor) the system by default would set to a rich mixture...

after installed the new o2 sensor, the check engine light went off and the mileage increased by 0.6 or 1mpg (several method to measure)

but i wonder

please, check the image

http://postimg.org/image/g9xzf5xhd/http://s32.postimg.org/ei50k9e4l/situation_o2_sensor.png

i know the sensor should be installed like the no. 1 example

BUT mine (after relocated, because this vehicle had catalitic removed)

the muffler guy installed like the no. 2, he told me that the o2 sensor does not need to be in "full" contact with the gases, that only needs a "little" doze of the gases in order to make its job....

not too satisfied with this, i wanted to ask you if i should go back to the muffler shop and make him to desolder the o2 sensor socket again and to make him to solder at its correct level so the part of the o2 sensor that must be exposed to the gases is fully exposed?

just like the no.1?

No harm in having the rear o2 slightly out of the stream. Especially with no cats. The rear 02 s job it to check the flow and " health" of the cats and front "oxygen " sensor. Thats it. It doesnt play a role in fueling. If you have no convertors it would actually be beneficial to have the sensor pulled out of the stream to simulate the delay of having an actual catalyst in there and keep your check engine lamp off. On newer more sensitive setups people use spark plug non foulers in between the "o2 bung" and the rear 02 to get the sensor far enough out of the stream to simulate the delay catalyst would normally provide

HEy BCmaxx, thanks for your reply

but i have some doubts yet

what is convertor?

this car onlyhas ONE o2 sensor

(its a 93 Legacy SW FWD USDM)

in cars that came with only one o2 sensor, wouldnt then has a more important role regarding fueling?

Archived