LegacyGT.com

cost to install fresh sshortblock?

I called a couple big name shops here in Colorado and both want $9k+ to refresh my heads and install a stock ej257. This would include the cost of the new block. Does this sound about right? Neither shop wanted to give me a cost breakdown but made it clear that I couldn't do it for less than $9k.

I don't have the full list of what is involved or the exact prices, but here is a start...

Short block cost delivered $1800-2000

Gasket kit $250

Oil Change $20

Oil Filter $5

Oil Cooler $100

Head Inspection ($100/hr probably min. cost)

Coolant $40

Flywheel resurface/replacement $100

Clutch kit $800

Timing belt kit $350

Removal and Installation ($100/hr, 8-10 hrs) $1000

Engine Build Labor (10 hours) $1000

Misc. Other labor (part swapping, clutch, etc.) $500

-------------------

Somewhere around $6200 with this short list. $3k more doesn't sound like a huge stretch depending on what else needs to be replaced, but it certainly could become that with more labor and tax.

If you can follow instructions and have decent mechanical aptitude, you can do a build for $4-5k if you have to have the heads rebuilt and machined.

I spent about $6000 but I did a lot of the basic labor myself I also replaced a lot of other things too. Clutch, hoses, etc

read my click here link to see whats involved.

$7500-8000 may be a realistic price, you need to find out what is being done.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

At this point and for the age of the car maybe attempting it myself would be best. If this were a new BMW I wouldnt care about a $3k difference between shops but the car itself was only $5k. Neither shops willingness to discuss details lets me know they really don't need the work. Not that I really wanted to work with Metro after I saw some of their employees' behavior on social media.

My Mechanic/friend will do it for much less up here in Denver. PM me if you'd consider bringing it up here.

Dont need a sb yet but just trying to get some ideas. Ill shoot you a pm if I ever do need to. Id much rather pay someone to show me how to do it or figure it out myself than pay a shop.

$5k to $7k is pretty typical at my shop, depending on how much stuff is replaced during the job (below $6k is getting to the "just get it back on the road for least $$$" territory). Even the customers who take the opportunity to make some significant upgrades as part of the rebuild process rarely approach the $9k-$10k mark.

maybe the shops here are too busy already or the margins arent big enough on a stock rebuild. I could have the car flatbedded to any reputable shop in the midwest and still have it be cheaper than doing a rebuild in my home state? Since I have backup transpo I would definitely consider DIY as wel.

• 2 weeks later...
Said the fool with the broken car, as he went to said nerds for help [emoji38]

Top nerd tip: next time, if you just have to be a douchebag, wait until after you get the help you're asking for.

I dont need a shortblock, as I already said. I know I have your permission to be a douchebag now but ill just give you some advice, if you get this butthurt about internet posts, preparation H works great.

Who is getting butthurt? I mean, apart from you? :)

That's what the smilies are for. ;)

who is getting butthurt? Probably the guy who has to repeatedly check into the thread to call me a fool and a a douchebag because I one time jokingly called a whole forum "nerds". [emoji2]

Your heavy post-editing tells a different story... my hunch is that you're taking this quite seriously, actually. Further, that you're calling us butt-hurt, when it is clearly you with the aching rectum, is textbook psychological projection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

Just one nerd's opinion.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Archived