LegacyGT.com

Rhitter's Build Thread

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Oh don't you worry. I know it is a piece of crap. My DD has a SMFW and the 'family' car still has the DMFW. I hate it!

I understand why Subaru used the DMFW in these cars for smoother engagement, but most of us don't care about it. Smoother engagement comes with the driver and knowing how to engage it properly. Guess they didn't know their market demographics well when developing this part. :lol:

My wife's balls are delicious.

I've enjoyed reading this thread, thanks Rhitter! Look forward to reading more about it. You have a very beautiful OBXT!.

What is the roof rack/basket you have in the first picture?

Thanks!

Roof basket is some cheap one off of Amazon. It was $90 and has worked well for the 3-4 times a year that I use it.

I understand why Subaru used the DMFW in these cars for smoother engagement, but most of us don't care about it. Smoother engagement comes with the driver and knowing how to engage it properly. Guess they didn't know their market demographics well when developing this part. :lol:

DMF was a newish invention that a lot of manufactores jumped on, and on paper it looks great, but in reality they don't last long and don't like more power then what the internal springs are rated for.

I honestly didn't feel a difference switching form DMF to SMF, in a good and bad way. In a good way as in noise and vibrations are not there, in a bad way engagement feels about the same before but my DMF was not shot when I removed it.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

DMF was a newish invention that a lot of manufactores jumped on, and on paper it looks great, but in reality they don't last long and don't like more power then what the internal springs are rated for.

I honestly didn't feel a difference switching form DMF to SMF, in a good and bad way. In a good way as in noise and vibrations are not there, in a bad way engagement feels about the same before but my DMF was not shot when I removed it.

Maybe my DMF was shot, because I had to relearn on clutch engagement with my SMF. IMO, the SMF is more responsive to the engagement when released.

My wife's balls are delicious.

I would say that's because you put a new pressure plate on with SMF setup. As pressure plates wear out they will engage at different points.

SMF being more responsive makes perfect sense, it's a solid piece of metal with no movements*. While DMF will move around thus will feel more vague.

* SMF setups generally have sprung clutch disks, these clutch disks have springs for doing exactly what the DMF does but on smaller scale. Thus there is still some movement in the clutch system even on SMF setup, unless you go unsprung (which is more abusive on the transmission for this reason).

Edited by covertrussian

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Wow, this is exactly the tid bit of information I was looking for but didn't know I was looking for.

I'm budgeting $300 for a new SMF with my clutch replacement, and am not sure why. My DMF might not be shot now, and might be able to be correctly resurfaced, but if it deteriorates, I'm going to really regret not going with the SMF when the clutch was out.

I would say that's because you put a new pressure plate on with SMF setup. As pressure plates wear out they will engage at different points.

SMF being more responsive makes perfect sense, it's a solid piece of metal with no movements*. While DMF will move around thus will feel more vague.

* SMF setups generally have sprung clutch disks, these clutch disks have springs for doing exactly what the DMF does but on smaller scale. Thus there is still some movement in the clutch system even on SMF setup, unless you go unsprung (which is more abusive on the transmission for this reason).

you know, now that you say this, I have a feeling that I am probably blaming the wrong part for the poor engagement feel I've been getting. The issue might be a worn out pressure plate in the end and not the flywheel. Oh well, all of this crap will come out very soon. But first I am waiting for the OP to do it :D

you know, now that you say this, I have a feeling that I am probably blaming the wrong part for the poor engagement feel I've been getting. The issue might be a worn out pressure plate in the end and not the flywheel. Oh well, all of this crap will come out very soon. But first I am waiting for the OP to do it :D

Feel free to skip this section: I have been distracted last two weekends looking at 7 passenger SUVs. Requirements: bucket seats. Really good IIHS safety rating. Hopefully has some amount of driver engagement....

Saw:

1. 2017 Toyota Highlander (test drove. Handles fine, feels like a good car. boring $40k!!)

2. 2017 Hyundai Sante Fe (test drove. Can't see the dash in the sun. Super shiny. Stupid design. Otherwise decent. Not as confidence inspiring as the 2017 Highlander. Loud tire noise.)

3. 2017 GMC Acadia (Felt pretty good. A little more fun. But too small with 3rd row in use)

4. 2017 GMC Acadia Limited (Didn't test drive. But, it's a massive truck. Can find this one used for a good price)

Still want to look at the Ford Flex and that's probably it. Ford Flex and GMC Acadia are both really long. Unsure that I want that in this area.

Each time (except for space for my Son), I was really happy to get back into my Outback. Made me like my Outback more. Clutch seems to be limping a long alright. Engagement point has moved to almost the top of the clutch pedal travel and it seems a little easier to burn / overheat. But, overall it is working okay. It's not slipping every time I floor it in 5th.

I think my "launch" where I smoked it in 1st and 2nd gave it a little more life.

Also, still need to order the OEM TOB or I risk it and say Covert is having a 1 off experience.

Edited by Rhitter

I bought everything to replace my clutch and it has stopped slipping....

Did it get warmer all the sudden there? Mine would only slip when it was cold and I was making extra POWA.

Usually it's the other way around.

Wait for a hot day, with you have to creep up parking garage ramps for 5 levels...

Usually it's the other way around.

Wait for a hot day, with you have to creep up parking garage ramps for 5 levels...

Any creeping like that will make it slip... worst was a 30 minute on-ramp that I slowly had to creep up. Wasn't sure I would make it. I have avoided that on-ramp for 2+ years now.

Agreed, for a stock clutch. This is where all the clutch research falls flat for me. It's all fine and dandy that I can clutch drop all day at the drag strip until the 5mt grenades... But if it can't handle the Disneyland parking garage (only time I've ever smelled my clutch) or a stupid uphill two lanes merging into one onramp, then it's not actually a DD option.

Clutch is slipping again. Just requires me to drive it aggressively and once it warms up it has problems grabbing. Clutch replacement soonish is back on.

Magnusonsubie - said I should get 255/40/18 on 18x9 et 35 wheels. Got me thinking.... I think rears would look great, fronts might me slightly too flush for me. Would require a decent amount of fender work (already planned, mostly just cutting).

Unsure if they would work with my HDs or if I would have to move to coilovers. Going to coils would kill it for me.

http://i.imgur.com/2utvhze.png

Had a small Bay area meet today.

http://i.imgur.com/Ja4oUBl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zeamo6A.jpg?1

Edited by Rhitter

255s are big for our cars, man. And 9" +35 is going to be nearly poking passed the flares.

Take a look at how much poke Alex is getting on 8.5" +33s (4.4mm less poke than 9" 35s).

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/did-you-do-your-4th-gen-legacy-todayi-vol-6-256156.html?p=5605140#post5605140

And you already know Famya tried to run 255s, then sold the wheels to Rattsl. Pretty sure Rattsl is running much smaller than 255s to get those to tuck. Let me know if you know Rattsl's tire size.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5557958&postcount=3487

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5493342&postcount=243

famaya26

"I'm running 255/35 with 18x9.5 +40"

Rattsl's fitment of them looks amazing though...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5574228&postcount=3310

18x9.5 +40 and 18x9 +35 are essentially the same.

Inside fitment, this is the best I have found:

Nightmaresmk

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4413648&postcount=8

OK new Hankook ventus 255/50r17 are mounted. I will post pictures later. With 35 offset 17x8's they fit. I can fit my hand between the strut perch and tires. Might have been able to get away with 40 offset

But those are super tall, so not exactly a great comparison.

So I know those are all LGTs. Searching 255/40/18 in the OB forum turns up very little. You could be the first!

Edited by rebourne