LegacyGT.com

Rhitter's Build Thread

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far the Youtube videos make it sound almost like my Nameless 5 inch axleback (only) set-up. Haven't heard it in person / in car though. That's where it really matters.

Honestly all the shit that went down with them though made me never want their product. Don't care how good it is. I also prefer a less deep noise, no idea why.

Edited by Rhitter

What are you planning to run on that header Mac?

EL or UEL the note is distinct from inline 4 cylinders. It is possible to appreciate both!

For now, just the VF52, in a year and a half who knows. I am injectors and a TMIC away from supporting a large turbo. I struggle with how much I can get away with for SMOG. I am hoping I don't have to change this out every two years.

That's a good point about the sound. EL or UEL is a much different noise than a Honda (not sure why anyone says ELH sounds like one). I just prefer the ELH boxer noise.

Truth. Boxer Sound whether EL or UEL! Just listen to a JDM STi or a new 4cyl Porsche Boxster :wub:

I spent a good 15 minutes listening to the new Boxster last night while trying to get my son to sleep.

Pulled off the wrap, in a lot of places it was in pretty bad condition and fell off nicely. There are a few areas where the coating is chalky / white. But overall the ceramic coating appears to be in decent enough shape.

http://i.imgur.com/4UcF1RR.jpg

Need to remove that sensor and plug the hole. Also need to get bolts for the manifold to header (I think they fell out of the hole in the box in shipping) Tentatively planning on installing them next weekend.

http://i.imgur.com/b7qH1tL.jpg

Edited by Rhitter

ELH is the sweet, sweet sound of efficiency.

Also, just to say it aloud, i've always thought about taking home some 3" wide (or so) kapton tape from work and winding over the outside of DEI Ti wrap. the main drawback to wrap is that if/when it gets wet (driving in rain), it becomes a great heat dissipation coating (opposite of what you want; think of standing in wind in wet cotton clothes).

Could always do the spray on silicone too, as is recommended sometimes. Or some of that thin sheet metal that you could wrap around the outside of the wrap.

Lastly, the best insulation is what the car comes with stock: double walled metal shields with air gap between piping and shield. and the (cancer causing, i'm sure) insulation they use to fill that gap.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Some people use aluminum foil or even HVAC tape to wrap over DEI Ti wrap. I think there are some concerns about holding the heat in as you can easily get outside the range of 304 ss. I guess that would be a great reason to get a KillerB HH.

i can't imagine stock tubular headers are anything better than 303/304, and they're insulated and shielded. not to say they never fail, i guess.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

• 2 weeks later...

Some minor documentation of my weekend

Install Tomei up-pip and header

Install GS TMIC

First, everything had to come off. The heat shield bolts were very rusted. Is there a way to take off the header without removing the heat shields? My engine was rebuilt two years ago and these bolts looked like they had never been touched.

AeroKroil was amazing at removing rusted on bolts though, but it could only do so much. My whole garage smells strongly now. The scent just lingers.

I used boltdepot.com to order some hardware for the header, they are nice because they allow you to order one bolt or washer.

I ordered 100 feet of DEI TI wrap. That wasn't enough. I ran out. Not sure the HVAC tape will stay on. The metal really didn't seem thick enough to hold position once the adhesive burns off. I got an up-pipe blanket off ebay from Thermal Zero. Apparently they are made in the USA.

http://i.imgur.com/OK0CaLk.jpg

There was a grounding strap from the header heat shield to the frame rail. Haven't figured out where to put it. There is a screw hole on the other side of the block, I don't see one on the passenger side.

There is some oil (I think) on the top of my turbo. Not a lot though, I am unsure where it's coming from. This area is normally covered by a ptp lavablanket (which seems to be disintegrating)

http://i.imgur.com/hfJPAgm.jpg

My car smells like shit. The wrap can't burn off fast enough.

I think I may have made a mistake adding a resonator before I put the headers on. Sound is very mellow. Doesn't sound bad, just might be too quiet. Of course, I haven't floored it yet, because Cryo told me not to....

I also put on a Grimmspeed intercooler, compared to the stock unit this thing is a beast. So heavy. The throttle body hose (OEM) was the worst thing ever. Removing it took forever. The screw to undue the clamp was directly below a hard line.

Tactrix broke and I have to get it repaired prior to tuning for these mods. Emailed tactrix and they said they will fix it for free. Luckily I am very close to them, so hopefully, I can tune for these mods quickly.

http://i.imgur.com/h0a9cll.jpg

Edited by Rhitter

Tactrix has been sent out for a repair and will be repaired for free! So far, their communication has been great.

And because I never posted a picture of my GS TMIC, looks the same as all the others. Did the hand test after 15 minutes of freeway driving and was pretty impressed. Hot side is hot and cold side is cold. I haven't put my hood insulation / sound deadening back on. I literally do not see the point of it. I guess it helps some parts of the hood stay cool. Maybe that is good for the paint?

http://i.imgur.com/ofXRGxr.jpg

Edited by Rhitter

Many people have left their sound deadening off over the past decade. I've never seen a paint related issue as a result.

It will fade the paint underneath. I've had mine off for years, and about 4 years ago I notice it really faded, almost bare metal. So, I sprayed it with color matching high temp paint and still today it still looks good. Not that anyone is going to look under my hood, it's just so I can prevent bare metal.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Tactrix has been sent out for a repair and will be repaired for free! So far, their communication has been great.

And because I never posted a picture of my GS TMIC, looks the same as all the others. Did the hand test after 15 minutes of freeway driving and was pretty impressed. Hot side is hot and cold side is cold.

http://i.imgur.com/ofXRGxr.jpg

The stock TMIC will give you the same outcome if you are just cruising on the highway.

Shh. Out with you and your logic.

I honestly got this because I want a bigger turbo. If I pass smog with this on. It opens my options to STI turbos. If I can't, I need to stick with Legacy fitment turbos.

I also want to run more boost out off my VF52 and I was limited by my stock intercooler.

Edited by Rhitter

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Tactrix repaired and flashed Rev 1 of my retune from Cryo on. I was getting vibration (harmonic) around 3k rpms on deceleration prior to the new map. That's gone with this version. Feels nice and strong now. My road I use for etuning isn't flat enough for VD to give good consistent readings. But, moving to an ELH + up-pipe + larger TMIC did not seem to change my boost threshold at all and response feels the same or slightly better.

Unfair to report any feelings on the first rev of a retune though.

And just because, here is a really short clip of the sound of my car with an ELH, 2- 3rd (sorta)