LegacyGT.com

100 Watt Low Beam Bulbs?

slowurroll

Hey all. Is there anyone who has experience with running 100 watt low beams in their legacy? I have found some on sale and they offer them in 55 or 100 watt. I'm not too familiar with what these cars can handle but would be very interested to know if someone has used them.

• 2 weeks later...
They would probably work for a while, until either the housing or wiring melted.

Osram makes a great 65w low beam that is inexpensive and good.

Sent from somewhere in Potatoland

Nightbreaker Unlimited by Osram

Haha. Yep. I already tried telling him this

Thanks. I will look into these.

Haha. Yep. I already tried telling him this

Yup. And I never disregarded that. Just merely stated that I wasn't sure what the stock harnesses could handle. I will likely be looking at those or something similar in the near future.

Thanks. I will look into these.

Yup. And I never disregarded that. Just merely stated that I wasn't sure what the stock harnesses could handle. I will likely be looking at those or something similar in the near future.

Yeah no prob. I know. Their website is pretty lame and old but good price nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...
So another question about this. Other than the Osram bulbs mentioned earlier, what would you guys suggest for the brightest output but won't cause problems with the harness or housing?

Read the thread, its already been mentioned and discussed. Last I checked, physics says that 65W is usually brighter than 55W.

In searching all I am finding are the Osram Off Road lights that are 80w, not 65w. Like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OSRAM-H7-Off-Road-Halogen-Bulb-Lamp-Upgraded-to-80W-from-65W-3200K-12V-62261-/181738885756?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Would 80w be pushing it? Or does someone have a link to the 65w H7 bulbs?

don't think anyone has tried the 80w but most everyone that's used the 65w seem pleased.

Here's the link:

http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

If you scroll down here to the H7 section, and you can order these bulbs too, there is an explanation that some bulbs are tested at 13.5v instead of 12.0v, which means depending on the test method, the same bulb tested at 12v would be 65W, and tested at 13.5v it would be 80W.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

The Nightbreaker Unlimited is 55w. I have them in my 09. Its the Osram Rally that is 65w. I am leaning towards those next time I need low beams.

Slightly incorrect. Nightbreaker Unlimited is the 55W overpriced model by OSRAM. These aren't the good ones. The good 65W version is the Off-road Rallye that another member linked to.

It's not clear to me if the new '80W' bulbs are any different than the 65W ones they seem to be replacing. I wouldn't be surprised if it was only a change in the cardboard box and label, but identical bulbs.

Edit: Oops, 98legwag beat me to it.

Slightly incorrect. Nightbreaker Unlimited is the 55W overpriced model by OSRAM. These aren't the good ones. The good 65W version is the Off-road Rallye that another member linked to.

It's not clear to me if the new '80W' bulbs are any different than the 65W ones they seem to be replacing. I wouldn't be surprised if it was only a change in the cardboard box and label, but identical bulbs.

Edit: Oops, 98legwag beat me to it.

When I bought the NB Unlimited it was like $55 for the pair. Now they are $30. They are better than the OEM bulbs. But that isn't saying much. I am pleased so far with them. But I think the Rallyes will be much better.

In searching all I am finding are the Osram Off Road lights that are 80w, not 65w. Like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OSRAM-H7-Off-Road-Halogen-Bulb-Lamp-Upgraded-to-80W-from-65W-3200K-12V-62261-/181738885756?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Would 80w be pushing it? Or does someone have a link to the 65w H7 bulbs?

I think I'll go with Candlepower and avoid Fleabay. Chances are the latter will sell you Chinese knock-offs.

The Nightbreaker Unlimited is 55w. I have them in my 09. Its the Osram Rally that is 65w. I am leaning towards those next time I need low beams.

That's what had me confused. I went looking for the NB Unlimited and couldn't find the 65w. Then when searching for the off road rallye bulbs, I could only find the 80w that I mentioned earlier. But the link to candlepower was great. Ordered the 65w last night.

I think I'll go with Candlepower and avoid Fleabay. Chances are the latter will sell you Chinese knock-offs.

Lol. There is nothing wrong with ebay if you buy from the right sellers. I worked for ebay for 2 1/2 years and see comments like this all the time. I have never encountered a problem buying off ebay when buying from US sellers.

That's what had me confused. I went looking for the NB Unlimited and couldn't find the 65w. Then when searching for the off road rallye bulbs, I could only find the 80w that I mentioned earlier. But the link to candlepower was great. Ordered the 65w last night.

Lol. There is nothing wrong with ebay if you buy from the right sellers. I worked for ebay for 2 1/2 years and see comments like this all the time. I have never encountered a problem buying off ebay when buying from US sellers.

My bulbs were failing very prematurely with the night breaker and other high end bulbs. Sometimes they would only last a few months.

I took a chance on the $18 EBay 65W Osram Rally bulbs. They appear to be legit despite the seller being in Hong Kong. I know it sounds crazy but the bulbs were bright and have lasted over a year so far and are still bright. Every indication is that they weren't a knockoff, and if they were a knockoff then they work great!

On the other hand, I ordered a Lifeproof iPhone case on ebay one time and it was definitely a cheap fake.

My bulbs were failing very prematurely with the night breaker and other high end bulbs. Sometimes they would only last a few months.

I took a chance on the $18 EBay 65W Osram Rally bulbs. They appear to be legit despite the seller being in Hong Kong. I know it sounds crazy but the bulbs were bright and have lasted over a year so far and are still bright. Every indication is that they weren't a knockoff, and if they were a knockoff then they work great!

On the other hand, I ordered a Lifeproof iPhone case on ebay one time and it was definitely a cheap fake.

I'm not saying that people aren't going to list and try and sell fakes. But there is protection in place for that. Considering Osram is a German company, it wouldn't surprise me if they came from out of the country but hey if they are working for you then great!

I just got confirmation this afternoon that my bulbs have shipped from candlepower :spin:

• 1 year later...

After a year (or a little less) the unthinkable happened. My 65w Osram Rally light failed. I wish! Upon removal of the plastic cover behind the bulb housing I discover evidence of a slight scorching on the cover and some fragments of brittle black plastic. The connector didn't melt per se, more like it was cooked by high temps and baked. I am reviewing my options:

It appears the wiring didn't burn and I am considering crimping a pair of "spade" terminals on the wires in lieu of an OEM connector. I figure the high heat might be dissipated more effectively.

Or I am going to call Candlepower in the morning. They told me they have not encountered this issue before. I think Candlepower stocks ceramic connectors which might better handle the heat.

Or I might just replace the OEM harness, but that fits the definition of insanity. Anyone know the harness part number (2005 LGT wagon, driver side low beam) and how far back in the body does this harness go? What parts/pieces need to come off to remove the harness.

I'll post what Candlepower says about this. 65 watts should not do this to my car! I should also mention the bulb appears to be ok. The light was getting dimmer over the last month (I thought it was the bulb dying) but I'll bet the current going to the bulb was getting lower as the connector was failing/crumbling.

Archived