LegacyGT.com

How to set up OEM key for JDM Subaru Legacy

Hi dear friends, I have JDM Subaru Legacy IV gen. wagon. I lost my key and spent lot of money to make new key from ignition and now it can start but I have not remote to open and close doors. Then I bought used OEM key and want to program remote for my car. I found some guides but all of them are for US models. could you please help me?

2011-04-30172309.thumb.jpg.236766b87a1fecdfb69767a526c4f91b.jpg

• 1 year later...

MEGA BUMP. I have a 4th gen JDM legacy sedan and my JDM key no longer works.

It started with having to hold the lock/unlock button for about 6 seconds. Then 30. And now it must be indefinitely. Battery has obviously been changed.

I served a locksmith at the store I work at, and he said it could be "resynced" with some button normally behind the accelerator pedal. Then I read about an 8 digit code inside the remote that can be programmed with the lock/unlock button on the door. Inside my key is only a four digit code, however.

Help?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

Now for an UBER BUMP.

I looked through manuals (but they were all U.S.), I couldn't find a translated JDM manual, and I heard about the "Turn the key 10 times and use the lock/unlock buttons to program your key", which didn't work.

I found the answer, bloody years later. My key looks like his, except it has a boot/trunk release button.

HOW TO PROGRAM YOUR KEY FOR THE 4TH GEN JAPANESE SUBARU LEGACY

1. Remove the panel to the right of the of the accelerator pedal. It is on the side, just in front of the door. There should be a clip screw on its far left

2. There is a green cable, and there should also be a white cable (Which is unplugged)

3. Plug in the white cable

4. Without the key in the ignition, hold down the door lock/unlock switch on the driver's door in the UNLOCK position. Keep holding it down. The car should start beeping.

5. While holding it down and while the car is beeping, on the remote press the LOCK button twice.

For me, the doors locked and then unlocked. You can now release the lock/unlock switch and unplug the white cable.

Make sure your remote battery isn't flat first. This method is completely different to what U.S. owners have mentioned. I called Subaru NZ and the guy was completely surprised and laughed at the "Turn key 10 times and put in eight digits" method. Apparently this works on models up to 2012, and it worked on my Jap Import 2005 Subaru Legacy 3.0R.

It took so long for me to figure this out, so I am bumping and posting this so that someone else can benefit. This thread came up in Google, and I thought the last post was somebody who had the exact same problem as me, but it was actually myself who made the post lol.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ZedX

• 10 months later...

Zed X thank you for the guide this was wrecking my head also having tried to no avail the turn 10 times method on my JDM LGT.

I'll probably try another thread but as its key related thought Id ask here.

When I bought my LGT it only came with two keys one with the three buttons and another plane silver.

Now the issue is I reckon the barrel in the door was changed so only the plane silver key unlocks the door but won't turn the ignition and the 3 button key turns the ignition but wont unlock the door.

I want to get a spare key but am annoyed that I have to have two keys.

I was looking at replacing all the key barrels ignition/door/glove box to solve this but the only kits I can find are in the US so I am not sure it's compatible or what I would need.

Found this kit:

https://parts.autonationsubaruhuntvalley.com/p/Subaru__Legacy/KEY-KIT/49257988/57491AG24A.html

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I was wondering if you had any pics to go with your guide?

I went to the place following your guide but not sure if correct as I cant see a loose white wire only a loose 2 pin connector with a white and brown wire of which I cant see where to plugin if it is the correct one.

Now for an UBER BUMP.

I looked through manuals (but they were all U.S.), I couldn't find a translated JDM manual, and I heard about the "Turn the key 10 times and use the lock/unlock buttons to program your key", which didn't work.

I found the answer, bloody years later. My key looks like his, except it has a boot/trunk release button.

HOW TO PROGRAM YOUR KEY FOR THE 4TH GEN JAPANESE SUBARU LEGACY

1. Remove the panel to the right of the of the accelerator pedal. It is on the side, just in front of the door. There should be a clip screw on its far left

2. There is a green cable, and there should also be a white cable (Which is unplugged)

3. Plug in the white cable

4. Without the key in the ignition, hold down the door lock/unlock switch on the driver's door in the UNLOCK position. Keep holding it down. The car should start beeping.

5. While holding it down and while the car is beeping, on the remote press the LOCK button twice.

For me, the doors locked and then unlocked. You can now release the lock/unlock switch and unplug the white cable.

Make sure your remote battery isn't flat first. This method is completely different to what U.S. owners have mentioned. I called Subaru NZ and the guy was completely surprised and laughed at the "Turn key 10 times and put in eight digits" method. Apparently this works on models up to 2012, and it worked on my Jap Import 2005 Subaru Legacy 3.0R.

It took so long for me to figure this out, so I am bumping and posting this so that someone else can benefit. This thread came up in Google, and I thought the last post was somebody who had the exact same problem as me, but it was actually myself who made the post lol.

Hope this helps.