LegacyGT.com

Unlocking the hidden power and flow of your OEM turbo

Tuning Alliance

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone want to be the test mule for a vf40/vf46? Would like someone local (CT), with a VF40 or VF46, stage two configuration with an after market TMIC or FMIC. Must be willing to buy the actuator.

I will install it, perform some testing and tune for free.

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does anyone want to be the test mule for a vf40/vf46? Would like someone local (CT), with a VF40 or VF46, stage two configuration with an after market TMIC or FMIC. Must be willing to buy the actuator.

you should move to oregon.

cobb catted DP, VF46 (or VF52, soon to be VF52/37 hybrid, although it already has a billet wheel so not stock), AVO TMIC (or stock with BP), and i could be in your parking lot tomorrow. Want a tune from you anyways. :spin:

Subb'd anyways, and interesting conversation.

oh, and i do have 850cc injectors, so i might not fit the bill anyways.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Hmm, I'm still running the stock VF-46, with OEM injectors and pump. PW TMIC. Motor is at 175k tho... Just broken in, or ready to break? :lol:

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

correct. just wanted to know what, if anything, has been done to your VF52 that you use to collect the data.

I have not altered any internal pathways, ports, wheels, nor has it ever been removed from the car. I simply replaced the actuator with a better unit, with a higher spring constant and adjustable preload.

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This has me intrigued, so I've signed up for the task of test mule. Happy to finally get to work with Mike :)

Honestly, I'm surprised nobody has done this before. On my first WRX, I'd used a helper spring from Home Depot, but IIRC it became inconsistent (probably fatigued from heat stress, or something). It did help to hold boost, though. Here's a link from '04 :lol:

I really like the idea of just upgrading the actuator. The old PE turbos were modified IHI's with better actuators, and they were great turbos for the time.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Why a FMIC and not an upgraded TMIC?

Fmic provide better cooling, and do not heat soak. A tmic would work I just much prefer the decreased charged air temps of the larger cooler.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This has me intrigued, so I've signed up for the task of test mule. Happy to finally get to work with Mike :)

Honestly, I'm surprised nobody has done this before. On my first WRX, I'd used a helper spring from Home Depot, but IIRC it became inconsistent (probably fatigued from heat stress, or something). It did help to hold boost, though. Here's a link from '04 :lol:

I really like the idea of just upgrading the actuator. The old PE turbos were modified IHI's with better actuators, and they were great turbos for the time.

Another Spec B! woohoo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Tuning Alliance. What does your 2nd gear boost curve look like?

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq357/tuningalliance/vf52%20curve%20stock%20tmic.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just started looking at this thread. So Cryo is doing my tuning, my turbo is a JMP vf52, and my relative manifold pressure at 6200 is 17psi. I don't know that JMP upgraded my actuator but maybe?

VF52's can vary a lot. I have seen a few creep significant boost. One actually was hitting 21+ psi above 6000 rpm. This is likely due to variation in castings in the wastegate port area. Some have less wastegate flow and tend to hold more or even creep in high rpms.

Additionally, I only have stock TMIC, which has noticeable pressure drop compared to an after market unit (not sure what you have).

Lastly you probably have a bigger compressor pushing more air into the system thus requiring more wastegate flow. So if our wastegate ports were identical and your compressor moved more air, youd like hold more boost up top.

If you really want to know what your wastegate spring pressure is and how your particular port is flowing you can simple bypass the boost controller and do a full pull.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can you confidently etune with these suggested upgrades, standard bolt-ons, a custom billet wheel vf40, and maybe an EL header?

Seems like a lot of variables to remote tune, but if I ever actually install all my parts I'd def like to work with you guys.

Can you confidently etune with these suggested upgrades, standard bolt-ons, a custom billet wheel vf40, and maybe an EL header?

Seems like a lot of variables to remote tune, but if I ever actually install all my parts I'd def like to work with you guys.

Yes, wideband is always helpful if you want everything out of your setup safely.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well spent some time today hammering away on a VF-46. They (VF40 & VF46s) definitely have some more flow to go. I wasn't able to fully pre-load the wastegate as fitment is a bit different between the VF52 and VF40/46. This means the wastegate arm we had was a bit too long. Regardless of that we were still able to extract significantly more boost across the powerband towards the red. The engine did not mind the extra power and had no issue running more boost.

With additional pre-load and further restriction (less flapper opening per psi) I believe 15 psi at redline is achievable.

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq357/tuningalliance/VF46%20Testing.png

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq357/tuningalliance/VF46%20Maf%20volts.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look at that low solenoid duty! Like you said, more room to go... With the right bracket, the new actuator will have enough room for a full range of adjustment. We'll bring both cars back so you can tune the GF's Saabaru, and put together a bracket for the 46, if you'd like to.

The car drives wonderfully, Mike. Thanks again. Not bad for a 175,000 mile VF-46 and motor :)

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Look at that low solenoid duty! Like you said, more room to go... With the right bracket, the new actuator will have enough room for a full range of adjustment. We'll bring both cars back so you can tune the GF's Saabaru, and put together a bracket for the 46, if you'd like to.

The car drives wonderfully, Mike. Thanks again. Not bad for a 175,000 mile VF-46 and motor :)

So I took a closer look at the IWG's offered by Kinugawa, and it looks like the one for the twin scroll is very similar to the VF40/46. With the flapper facing the opposite way. So I may order one of these and try it out.

http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/kinugawabilletadjustableturboactuatorihivf36vf37twinscrollsubarusti.aspx

http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/images/products/thumb/VF36adjustableactuatorC.JPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Were these tests done on the dyno or on the road? The main reason I ask is more boost doesn't always equal more power with the vf40/46 but I know you already know that so my intent is not to be condescending in any way. I was curious if you had actual dyno graphs to show the increase in HP. The compressor itself is not very efficient at higher rpm and most tests have shown it doesn't actually create much more power at the expense of much higher IAT's at the tmic and throttle body.

I am in no way questioning the fact it makes more boost, just curious if you have tested to see that it did actually increase WHP in the higher rpms where you are seeing higher boost levels on repeated pulls *ie more than just one pull to see repeated results*. I remember testing the vf40/vf46 with an external wastegate about 4 years ago and we saw no increase in power from 15psi to 19psi at 5500rpms on * this was right before a turbo/intercooler upgrade so he didn't care about the life of the vf46 or the tmic blowing. We did see an increase in torque on the first pull and then it dropped on every pull following due to built up heat etc*

The main thing that jumps out to me is you saw a very low wgdc to hit target and then a 30% increase in wgdc to hold about 2-3psi more *from 4500-redline* and basically maxed *or 81% at least* the wgdc even with the new actuator. To do that shows the turbo is most likely out of its efficiency range and is wanting to mechanically taper.

PLEASE do not take this as me questioning your integrity. I respect what you do for the forum and enjoy having others to bounce ideas and such off as to what they have experienced so this is NOT questioning you,rather curious what you have seen for data as well. I like to see data shared with the forum, just wondering if you have matching dyno graphs to show the benefits vs your tests with the vf52 which is well known to make more power up top than the vf40/46 variants.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Dave, if I understand your question , you're suggesting that higher boost won't necessarily result in more power, because the intake charge could potentially get too hot (as the higher IATs will cause detonation, counteracting the extra energy in the denser intake charge)?

In any case, even if it doesn't result in more power, I imagine being able to hold a higher boost could still wring out more power without a turbo upgrade by utilizing , e.g. better IC, meth injection, etc. Or am I completely off here?

Pardon my noobiness. Trying to learn over here =)

With additional pre-load and further restriction (less flapper opening per psi) I believe 15 psi at redline is achievable.

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq357/tuningalliance/VF46%20Testing.png

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq357/tuningalliance/VF46%20Maf%20volts.png

I believe it.

The chinacharger that came on my car has adjustable wastegate preload. Car was overboosting HARD, largely because the preload adjustment was spun all the way down by the previous owner. While I was playing around with the preload trying to get the car to behave, I saw higher than expected boost levels held out near redline.

Once the car has a downpipe on it, I'll start playing with it again.

Archived