LegacyGT.com

Single muffler 3 inch catback system

PLTek

Hello,

We are at the final stages of pre-production for a FLOW single round tip muffler (left side) catback exhaust.

It will be 3 inches all the way back from the donut gasket, with 12 inch resonator, and a 4.5 inch round double-walled tip.

We will also sell a full TBE system either with or without high-flow cat on a full 3 inch downpipe or with a FLOW shorty downpipe.

Wanted to find out who would be interested. If so, I might organize a group buy and save everyone a few bucks and or add something free like Urethane exhaust hangers.

Best Regards,

Peter Sz

PLtek,llc

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi,

its all stainless.

I will post some pics by tuesday. It actually looks pretty good without the filler on the right side, maybe someone can come up with a filler. (:

In terms of left v. right, decided to follow its sister Impreza, also did not wanto copy the EVO that breaths out the right side (:

Pricing coming up as well.

Best

PS

PLTek,llc

With my testing I have found the single tip is the optimal exhaust setup for the biggest performance gain for your lgt. A turbo car has no need for a y-pipe and the dual-tipped exhaust setups "fork" in the exhaust stream is a significant bottle-neck, expecially when reducing to 2.25" pipe/mufflers. As stated, Less backpressure equals more high rpm horsepower. It doesn't necessarily mean louder as this is a function that is detemined by the muffler itself.

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

Pardon my rudimentary Physics knowledge, but 2 x 2.25" pipes has a larger cross-sectional area (31.8 sq. in.) than 1 x 3" (28.3 sq. in.), and I thought that was what mattered. So if tests show that 1 x 3" exhaust gives better performance, then it must be the shape of the Y-neck that's the problem. (Just spouting some Fermi-isms).

At any rate, if performance is indeed better and sound levels <= stock, I'm definitely interested.

I personally like the look of dual mufflers myself, but in my situation performance > looks of rear. :)

In regards to flow, the two 2.25 will flow, but your talking about a 2.5 or 3 to 2.25 y reduction. that is your bottleneck. expecially with backpressure buildup. A cutout before cats, or the y alieviates all this.

This exhaust will flow a lot better than the stock. You have a full 3 inch pipe from the graphite donut to the muffler. The bends are a lot less aggressive and the muffler is high flowing.

In terms of a plug, it can be made from a sheet of aluminum and then painted black. I will experiment with some solution but with many handy and creative LGT owners out there, I am sure that the best, cheapest, optimal solution can be developed.

Thank you for your interested and more information to come this week.

Best Regards

Peter Sz

PLTek,llc

Slightly related, but does the tip configuration affect performance or sound in any way? I notice that some tips have extra enclosures on them (like a cylinder within a cylinder). Some are just pipes cut at an angle.

I'm interested in a low-profile car which is why the 1-tip exhaust sounds attractive, but if there's going to be a canon-like muzzle sticking out of my rear ... :(

I personally like the look of dual mufflers myself, but in my situation performance > looks of rear. :)

In regards to flow, the two 2.25 will flow, but your talking about a 2.5 or 3 to 2.25 y reduction. that is your bottleneck. expecially with backpressure buildup. A cutout before cats, or the y alieviates all this.

this is what I don't get: you are talking about a 3" or 2.5 mid to 2 x 2.25 (or if stock, 2 x. 1.75 or whatever the stock pipe is).

this isn't a reduction at all. the volume of the pipes after the Y is actually greater than before. until someone proves otherwise, I see no advantage to going with a single pipe, or, for that matter, even replacing the stock Y pipe.

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

the y is it's still a restriction in flow and if it's not a perfect weld, even more of a restriction.

Advantages of a single exit exhaust are more top end horsepower. How else do you explain my ET in the 1/4. I am the only LGT that I know of with a single exit exhaust on that 1/4 times list, and after taking the muffler off last week, I gained another mph over that time. If I had a clutch that'd hold I'd most likely be in the 12's with a stock turbo'd legacy. I've done no magic or weight reduction, just removed restrictions holding back the power of the boxer 2.5 and uped it's boost to 1.2 bar.

Is a 2.5" downpipe going to be a restriction, yes.

Is a 3.0" dp -> 2.5" exhaust going to restrict, yes.

Is a 3.0" pipe, all the way back less of a restriction that 3.0" pipe hitting a y pipe?, yes.

It really is your choice, and I'm not trying to sell this setup, but just stating that the optimal flow comes from an exhaust with no flow restrictions, and I have seen it proven. I'm convinced.

Take care,

Rob

Archived