LegacyGT.com

06 Legacy GT trunk / torsion bar problem

honduh

I bought a Legacy GT and one of the problems with the car is the trunk would only open if you are pulling up on it while hitting the remote. If you don't pull up on it, it unlocks and immediately locks. I did some research and determined that a previous owner must have installed the OEM spoiler and didn't upgrade the torsion rods. I ordered the stronger torsion rods for use with OEM spoiler and it really didn't make much of a difference.

EDIT 11/18 - I fixed the stupid trunk!

I finally figured out how to fix this stupid trunk! The secret is in the latch. You have to remove the plastic covering and then unscrew the two 10mm bolts, then push the bracket as far down as it will go, then tighten and reassemble. It is as easy as that! You can see in my picture the faint outline of where the bolt originally was, it was just a cm or 2 too high. Now my trunk works like a charm, from both the remote and the lever.

IMG_1472.thumb.jpg.8950de26aca45d505d9d8341b08d6276.jpg

Edited by honduh
Fixed!

These photos are of my 06 with the OEM wing. my trunk certainly doesn't pop when it is unlatched and it does exactly what yours does in the last two inches but when I unlatch it, it will stay unlatched until I open it. The photos start from the passenger side and go to the drivers side. Hopefully this helps.

Edit: I apologize for the upside-down photos. I don't know how to fix that.

IMG_8206.thumb.JPG.621d49966fde93de966539536e17c6e1.JPG

IMG_8207.thumb.JPG.9effc8201c88d7182c813b6253f9ccc0.JPG

IMG_8208.thumb.JPG.30d12d4bab727861f820316bf24f7b44.JPG

IMG_8209.thumb.JPG.5fc093d125867f84a3d71609b24d1cbc.JPG

IMG_8211.thumb.JPG.37ec3ea5265c9e75c7b29650f516859e.JPG

Edited by asc0205

Thanks for those pic! I'm going to try and make sure mine are set like that and see if it makes a difference. Right now it seems like sometimes it will unlatch like that and other times it will immediately lock again. Someone on another forum suggested the latch itself could be faulty but I don't see how that is possible, I thought it only locked and unlocked and didn't provide any additional functionality.

Apparently, many folks have had that same problem. I suspect the culprit may not be an owner making the error, but the dealer or the factory. The torsion bars I had eventually failed just like you describe after about 4 years. Once I installed a new set of torsion rods, it made all the difference. Once you have them properly installed, you should be G2G.

My bars are in the correct orientation and it still just locks immediately unless upward pressure is applied while unlocking :( Could it be the latch? There must be something that pushes the trunk up and out of the latch before the torsion bars take effect.

Mine still doesn't pop open. Only way I can open the trunk by myself is by using the key fob and pulling up on the trunk at the same time. Using the inside latch doesn't work by myself because by the time I get to the back it is already re-latched. Anyone ever try putting some sort or spring under the trunk just to give it enough movement to get past the latch?

I kinda fixed mine. I sprayed all the moving parts/hinges with white lithium grease spray, which got rid of some squeaks and made the action a little smoother. I popped the trunk open and it opened kinda hard and I hard a loud 'POP' and realized one of the torsion rods had come out. This was my A HA moment. I realized that the bar with the hinge fork on the driver side wasn't sitting as square on the rod as the passenger side. (I'm talking about the 'U' shaped part on the end of the rod). What happened was the retainer hook for the bar end had deformed and pushed out quite a ways, which caused the rod to be in the wrong place. I bent the whole retainer side back as best I could and now the rod lines up. And now when I pop my trunk, it doesn't just relock itself!

The other thing I noticed on mine was that the locking mechanism is dragging just a tad, like it is off center with the latch. I'm going to try and adjust that so that it opens and shuts with as little resistance as possible.

TL:DR - My retainer on the driver side was deformed and the trunk fork wasn't in the right spot. Fixed the retainer and lined the bars up and trunk unlocks now. Latch mechanism is also binding a bit which needs adjusted, could definitely help during the initial pop of the trunk.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Fixed two problems with this thread. Thanks!

Symptom 1: Neither cable or key fob would release truck. Had to lift up on trunk wile activating release.

Fix 1: Move the latch down as far as possible. It's under the large plastic cover. Loosen the two 10mm nuts, push the latch down as far as possible, then tighten the nuts.

Symptom 2: Squeak when opening trunk

Fix 2: Pull back carpet; you'll need to take off two push pins to get enough clearance. Spray lithium grease all over torsion rod touch points and both trunk trapeze pivot pins. Wipe off excess.

• 4 years later...

Not only possible, but recomended!  I put a larger wing on my GC and had to be careful shutting it.  It would catch me and other people off guard cause once it hit a certain point, didn't take long, gravity took over and SLAM

I'm having an impossible time finding these upgraded rods (E721SAG020 & E721SAG030). 

Everytime I think I've found them, they contact me and say they don't have them anymore or they are waiting for them to come in stock. Anyone know where I could find these?