LegacyGT.com

The official Disc Golf thread!

I play every chance I get and I'm completely hooked! Got my first eagle yesterday at a local course in Montreal, called Parc Ile Charron. I was stoked to say the least. Still trying to get my first ace! Been just over a year since I started playing.

• 4 months later...

Been playing about 10 years, but I would not say that I'm any good. In fact, I've managed to hook about a half dozen of my friends on disc golf and every one of them is now better than me.

It's mostly putting. I'm an awful putter. It's a headcase thing. Nearly pushing 40 now too, I'm not sure I can drive 300 feet anymore either.

I've played at about a half dozen courses in Ohio (where I picked it up and really started playing) and a couple in SC where I first learned it. After Ohio, I moved back to New England ... I've probably played at least half or 2/3s of all existing courses in New England. My grail course is in Caribou Maine. I believe it's the farthest drive from my house that's still in New England that has an 18 hole course. Apparently there's an autocross event up that way as well, so I might have to make a weekend of it this summer. We'll see if I can make that work.

If you're ever down Massachusetts way, the destination courses are the Borderland in Sharon, MA and Maple Hill out near Worcester. Those are championship level courses.

Other tidbits ... I generally like to fly Innova discs, but I've been getting into Vibrams lately. Also, one of my buddies cannot snap his wrist for a backhand, so he actually makes every shot as an over hander (except putting). And he's unbelievably consistent like that. He doesn't throw out the longest drive ever, but he can drop shot after shot right on top of one another. Lemme know if you come down to NE amd we'll play a round.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I played a handful of times in college, thanks to friends of mine that owned a few discs.

Haven't played in the last few years, except one glamping (cabin camping) trip a couple months ago.

Just got a disc set for christmas (2 drivers, mid range, and putter). I already own one driver. Gonna keep an eye on ebay/craigslist, to try to pick up a handful of used discs. Figure it'll be easier to invite friends along and get them in to it if they actually have discs to use.

• 6 months later...
Haven't gotten the chance to play as often as I used to with my new apt and girlfriend... In fact I haven't gotten to drive my car as much either haha. Gunna hit up a new course in Drummonville, QC this weekend if all goes to plan. If you like custom discs, you have to check out the Canadian dollar disc auctions page on facebook (open to us residents aswell) Some beautiful plastic on there!

The GF worked all weekend so I ran out to my local course... Low and behold, NEW tee pads and signs all throughout! So stoked.

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w552/jrayd1/BF46D255-D479-41F4-9EDF-412822C9BE9B_zpstp77p2ny.jpg

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w552/jrayd1/4BF68F59-3DE4-40C7-94A7-DDC06B0A807A_zpsjnwjqq84.jpg

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w552/jrayd1/3F482CA2-A811-41EC-AC2B-0ECB6FA725AD_zpsoqbts2cv.jpg

Nice! I'm trying to get a course installed here at my work for our students. It would be fairly inexpensive. I talked to the local sign shop and they said they would donate all signage. I do all the design/print work here. I'll have to upload the mock up tee sign I made later.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e14/sean22306/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpeg

I play at least 3 times a week and anywhere I go I take my discs with me. So far I'm up to 92 courses (or so) in 14 states. Living in Denver we have some awesome mountain courses, and some of the best are private and cannot be found online.

Depends on where you are, if you have a car and how much time you have. Beaver Ranch in Conifer is a short ride and a very quality mountain course and costs $10 for a day pass. The Ghost Town is another quality mtn. course that plays through some old mining ruins and is $5 per round. I don't like to pay but funds go directly back to course improvements so I won't complain. I use dgcoursereview.com and both of those are listed, the private courses can be difficult to schedule. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I've been playing recreationally for about 20 years. I'm a decent player, but nowhere near as good as my buddies. I use it as more of an escape from the grind of daily life, and just get out there and enjoy the company of my friends. Being married with 2 teenage daughters, you need to find a hobby to use as a stress reliever. I have my car, and throwin disc. Anyway, we are truly blessed with some of the best courses in the country. Blue Ribbon Pines is about 20 minutes up the road. It's a world renowned course that's open year round, and they have PDGA events there regularly. Unfortunately, the best courses tend to be the busiest courses, so I like to be on the course just after the sun comes up. The popularity of the sport has gotten insane, and it's now offered as a course in the local schools. My favorite course, by far, is about 2 hours North of Minneapolis, on the border of northern Minnesota and Wisconsin. It's an old ski hill that was converted over to 3 separate badass courses. It's called Mont Du Lac. If you ever get a chance, you should check it out. A few years back, a group of us took an RV to Highbridge Hills for a week. If you want to have your mind blown, Google Highbridge Hills. My arm literally fell off that week.....and I'm sure I did permanent liver damage too. I would love to see the courses in Canada.

Played a new course in Bethel, ME sort of near the Sunday River area this weekend. See here: http://www.timberstoneadventures.com/

Cute little stretch of land that the owners have turned into a cabin camping area and then threw a disc golf course on there too. Amenities are quite nice with pavers used to create tee pads as well as trash/recycling cans and butt buckets at every tee pad. Course was fine, but nothing too special. Plenty of elevation change and a couple great elevated tee pads to downhill holes. But also a few ill-advised elevated tee pads that weren't really safe (top of large boulders and such) and therefore not fun.

Played a 2-man, 3-team scramble with some buddies. Hit my own natural birdie with a nice drive on one of those downhills that landed on top of a boulder just behind the basket. After climbing up the backside, I found I just had to drop it in from above for the 2. Nice round. Nice course, but doesn't need to be a destination course. My buddy has a cabin up that way though, so I'll probably have a chance to play it again.

Archived