LegacyGT.com

How reliable is a new OEM short block???

(I apologize if this is not the right place to ask - I will not be doing the rebuild myself, don't have the time, but Wicked Performance Group will be) My #2 cylinder just gave up the ghost. It's time for a new short block. I'm in the process of deciding between na new OEM block, or paying approx $1,500 more for rebuilding my block with forged internals, or selling the car as is (2005 LGT Wagin MT 93,000k ) So a new OEM block is the cheaper route, and I thought a no brainier, but I've been reading a ton here and on NASIOC of people rebuilding with a new OEM block, then having that fail no too far down the road. Is that happening more often than not??? Or is it how the car is being tuned and treated? I would be mating this with. VF52 and having Bren tuning tune it. It will be a daily driver, with spirited driving. No racing. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone with more knowledge will pop in but it depends on the tune and how you drive your car. The quality of the build, and if you are going cheap or just spend the extra money to get the right parts. Treat the car right and she will be around for awhile, beat on her and you will have a bad day.

Works for me,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106.html

Or just look at the thread that is currently below this one.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

There's growing concern that the factory gaps on the top rings are really too tight for a performance application. We have seen top ring gaps as small as 0.15mm, which is tiny. There is some reason to believe that ring ends touching could be passing tension onto the ring land below and contributing to the failures seen there.

If I were installing a factory shortblock I'd be pulling the pistons and resetting the gap to something more in the 0.40mm range, in line with the second ring gaps.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I'm another supporter and member of the shortblock club. I did pop the stock pistons and open up the ring end gaps by carefully filing them, then reinstalled them. I believe this makes the oem short block less prone to ringland issues down the road.

Of course, a shortblock implies that you will be re-using everything else. If you saw "glitter" in your oil when the engine was decommissioned then you'll want to make sure that you thoroughly clean out any areas where that can hide, otherwise it will be circulating through your newly rebuilt engine - not good. Those places included oil cooler, oil pan, oil pickup, ocvs, vvt sprockets, turbo oil feed lines, banjo bolt filters (I prefer to toss them), oil passageways throughout the heads, etc.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Archived