LegacyGT.com

Cam Bucket Placement

So my heads (B25) came back from the machine shop today, but last night, I moved my cam buckets and they ended up getting mixed up out of order... now I'm not sure where each bucket was positioned in the head.

What is the proper way of measuring clearances and reinstalling the buckets, given this information? I still have them separated by left and right heads, but unsure of how to proceed.

Answer for anyone wondering.

Thanks for the help everyone! I ended up using a set of feeler gauges and a combination of an Excel spreadsheet I made, as well as Cosworth's guide.

http://i.imgur.com/m5i7caY.png

You may want to go to the FSM for this. Pages 1733 and 1734

Please don't think I'm an expert, I've only done it once. But here is my take on it.

You have to re-establish your valve lash. Clearance from the bottom of the lobe to the bucket.

• If the buckets are all out, mic each one and record it. Write it down, draw a picture, ect.

• Install all the buckets paying close attention and not mixing them up.

• Install cams and torque down caps.

• Check your valve lash with feeler gauges and record it. Write it down, draw a picture, whatever it takes.

• Check your numbers with the FSM,and now you are probably going to do some shuffling with the buckets to get in spec. This is why you want to write everything down in order, with a picture or whatever.

Taller buckets=less clearance

Shorter buckets=more clearance

Robb

I have the following buckets and will trade 1 for 1 if you pay the shipping both ways. Not a great savings but every bit helps.

My Bucket List:

Qty Bucket #

(1) 481

(1) 482

(1) 483

(2) 491

(3) 496

(1) 499

(1) 504

(1) 506

Let me know if I can help.

If you had a valve job done, the valves will be longer. The machine shop can dust the ends of the valves to get the proper clearance if you give them the all the pieces.

I prefer to do it myself. If the shop isn't experienced with the process you can wind up with alot of problems.

Heiche used this method: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/budget-valve-clearance-job-223618.html

Archived