LegacyGT.com

Subaru Bubble Burst?....Problems Looming for Subaru?

hmmrdwn

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read through all the pages. I see Subaru as doing better than ever judging by the increasing number I see on the roads. Unlike some other commenters, what I see all over are the current model Imprezas, being driven mostly by youngish drivers. First time Subaru owners I would bet.

As to cheap fit and finish, we have an 05 LGT 5MT, base wagon as the prime vehicle. The interior is still pretty much as new, especially the seats. Yes, it does not have leather (hate leather seats - too slippy), and it uses hard plastics, but it lasts.

The big question is, would we buy another Subaru? And basically, the jury is out on that one. I am not a CVT fan, but I would be happy with a decent paddle shift box. The bigger problem is that my wife really likes the packaging and size of the LGT Wagon, and does not want anything bigger - and we both think that gen 5 and 6 Outbacks look big and clunky. Well, they are big and clunky, compared to the 4th gen Legacy Wagon. She is thinking maybe Forester, but to get one with any grunt, it's a CVT. Equally, the Wagon has been totally reliable (as was it's predecessor, a '95 Legacy Wagon), so there is no overwhelming need for immediate replacement.

As to fuel economy, not a big vehicle choice decider for us. But as an aside, "my" car, a 5th gen Vette, gets better mileage than the LGT. Both driven at much the same speeds and in the same style by the same drivers. Don't know if anything changed after the 4th gen, but revs are the enemy of fuel consumption, and the LGT is just undergeared for the highway. It badly needed a real o/d gear so the engine is not running high revs at normal highway cruise speeds (75-85 where I live - that's what they actually run at, not the posted limits, needless to say). The Vette just lopes along - 44mph/1,000rpm in 6th. And it will accelerate away from those low revs - I guess there just ain't no substitute for cubic inches.

The 5th gen has better highway gearing for sure and I never feel a need to downshift on the freeway unless I get the itch to really move. 6th could be a bit higher since the engine is never more than a slight nudge of the pedal away from boost.

I get 29 ~ 32 commuting 30 miles each way to work and home. If I spend more of the daily grind driving aggressively the mileage runs closer to 29. When I take my time, start and stop easily, don't go through roundabouts as if they were chicanes I get 32.

Roundabouts are just chicanes, right?

Multi exit chicanes are my favorite. my gas mileage drops a bit more when i get aggressive... like to 17. I love my turbo:wub:

You'd be amazed at what a worn-out clutch has been doing for my gas mileage. This isn't even a joke.

been there done that. I had an xterra with a clutch that was on it's way out and a weird brake issue where my brake were on just the slightest bit, my god i might as well have been driving tank.

Archived