LegacyGT.com

Subaru Bubble Burst?....Problems Looming for Subaru?

hmmrdwn

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Subaru's got the right idea with the VIVIZ concept and the bike rack - sell on lifestyle.

I agree with Laufu, next gen will remove some of Subaru's mechanically competitive advantages (BRZ excluded - they need to turn that car into a Cayman-lite, it's the only front engined RWD boxer out there, so that gives them a distinct market advantage).

The main reasons the Tribeca flopped were small-ish size for a mid-sized SUV, and being underpowered with the 3.0.

I'm thinking it may have had something to do with the fact that it was one of the ugliest cars to come along since the Pontiac Aztec.

That was VW's implosion that you heard.

Heard that one earlier;)

Sorry I know I'm not on here much, but it was my sarcastic way of saying this is one of the dumbest thread I've read on here.

Considering other comments of the OPs, doesn't surprise me.

and it gets almost a whole 4 mpg better than the N/A model around town:eek: (and the same on the highway)

Hard to improve on the base numbers if you want to have awd! I would bet if you incorporate hyper-miling techniques into your driving you could put a a considerable dent in your fuel consumption with or without the hybrid system.

EPA estimates put the 2.0i at 23/31 and hybrid at 30/34, +7 mpg city and +3 mpg hwy.

Hard to improve on the base numbers if you want to have awd! I would bet if you incorporate hyper-miling techniques into your driving you could put a a considerable dent in your fuel consumption with or without the hybrid system.

EPA estimates put the 2.0i at 23/31 and hybrid at 30/34, +7 mpg city and +3 mpg hwy.

23/31 Is with the manual, the cvt is estimated at 26/34. whats hyper-miling?

Is that the speed up, coast forever style of driving? Because if it is, people that do that need to stay off the freeway.

Yea i looked it up last night, that's basically it fast down hills, slow up, never use the brakes, and turn off your car at stoplights. also keep shit outa your trunk don't drive around with a full tank all the time, and maintain your car supremely.

That technique is called pulse and glide. Some poeple will even turn off their car when gliding :eek:

the pulse and glide is a hybrid technique where you take advantage of what speeds the gas motor likes to turns on in your specific car by giving more throttle at certain positions then backing off to run only on the electric motor to "glide" but it's not really effective on regular gas cars.

the pulse and glide is a hybrid technique where you take advantage of what speeds the gas motor likes to turns on in your specific car by giving more throttle at certain positions then backing off to run only on the electric motor to "glide" but it's not really effective on regular gas cars.

Supposedly it works for gas engines as well.

:hide:

Embarrassingly enough I researched and tried hyper miling for 2 weeks in my Chevy Prizm when I had a long commute. I got 2 tankfuls and got bored of driving 55-60 mph. Getting 45mpg wasn't worth it when it was adding over an hour of a week of commute time but saving only $6 a week in gas. I went back to driving 65-70 and averaging 38mpg.

My last two long trips my avg mpg only went up by 1.5 mpg...something about that need to pass slow cars...all the time. Then of course the people who try to get in front of you...can't have that either. Lol. When I start doing it more regularly I will tone it down for sure 18mpg on the freeway can get old real quick...well not in the moment but later on!

Supposedly it works for gas engines as well.

:hide:

I think its more of a speed up and coast in a gas car, while your "gliding" you're still accelerating just slowly and only on the electric motor (at least thats what i got out of what i read). but yea any thing that makes you drive slower with less throttle input is gonna increase MPG

off topic, but - the best way to get more fuel mileage, outside of "hyper-miling" is to drive at ~55MPH in your car's highest gear. On a trip to Maine - all back highway driving - my WRX was able to pull down 37MPG (39MPG on the trip computer) until I hit interstate 95.

off topic, but - the best way to get more fuel mileage, outside of "hyper-miling" is to drive at ~55MPH in your car's highest gear. On a trip to Maine - all back highway driving - my WRX was able to pull down 37MPG (39MPG on the trip computer) until I hit interstate 95.

agreed i push 32 mpg when i drive on local highway's and it would probably be a good bit better without the massive amount of hills we have here in VT

I get 29 ~ 32 commuting 30 miles each way to work and home. If I spend more of the daily grind driving aggressively the mileage runs closer to 29. When I take my time, start and stop easily, don't go through roundabouts as if they were chicanes I get 32.

Roundabouts are just chicanes, right?

On my 2nd fill up I got 30.52 actual gas mileage. Trip computer was close and called out 31.5. Bear in mind this is during break-in period which is done now and dealing with daily Boston traffic crawl on drive home.. Thinking 36 MPG pretty unlikely unless driving on level back roads with speed, acceleration and RPM kept low.. Considering this is a midsize car that weighs 3,500 lbs. and AWD 30 MPG isn't bad though.. Now that break-in is over I think I will see better MPG.. Time will tell..

Ray

Archived