LegacyGT.com

Subaru Bubble Burst?....Problems Looming for Subaru?

hmmrdwn

I believe it has been mentioned that the sales will only continue to grow until Subaru hits their capacity goal, which should be soon. At which point you have concluded sales will spiral downward taking Subaru to the depths of hell.

If you can understand a good business model: subaru never planned for infinite growth and was near their capacity, so now they will probably focus on bringing the next 7 passenger out and improving and evolving their current platforms to ensure they are competitive and to maintain sales. Given the popularity of the brand they have set themselves up nicely for a long time, as long as they keep doing what they have been.

Never said they were going to spiral downward. The popularity may wane when quality issues pop up among other infrastructure problems inherent to rapid growth. We'll see business growing pains. Thank you for discussing this civilly.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I see it - all brands have quality issues. So far the quality issues on Subaru have mostly been easily rectified if taken care of early. They may have been slow to come up with some features, but on the other hand those features seems to have been well-proven, like the CVT on the diesel that was expected more than a year before it was available.

If you want a ticking quality bomb - look at the Audi A6 3.2 TFSI where the cam chains jumps and you get interference - and will need a new engine.

The extended service intervals many manufacturers have today - some even 30000 km - aren't good either.

453747.png

I love Subaru but I hate how they have been moving into the CVT only cars. It's just saddening to think that eventually we will never see 4th Gen LGTs or LGTs at all anymore. I have always liked the LGTs because they were more of a grown-up STi, I still love STis but the Legacy's have always been my favorite and the best looking (in my opinion). My friend and I went to a dealer the other day and he said that he test drove the 6th Gen Legacy and said it was probably the most boring car he has ever driven. I really hate it how the the LGT part of this forum will become very obsolete in the next decade. I wish they would release an s403 and re-introduce the LGT. I will always love Subaru but I wish they would bring back the LGT.

The American market has shifted from the large SUV to smaller alternative crossovers with better fuel economy. There is a shift to towards environmentally friendly products which Subaru fill with the PZEV & Zero landfill production plant. (I question how 'green' the PZEV engine really is though)

Part of Subaru sales success to the masses is the CVT. It helped increase the fuel economy over the traditional automatic. Yes it shuns the enthusiast but that is not who is buying 95% of the cars. Subaru currently does not have the production capacity to offer a LGT (or other lower sales options/trims). In a couple years when plant expansion is complete they may decide to offer the LGT again, but they also might just leave WRX line as the turbo line.

if you believe that logic, that would indicate that the FXT will go away also. I don't see why they can't put that motor/tranny in the Legacy.

My post wasn't very succinct (I rushed it before a meeting). I meant more of the performance line along with the BRZ. The Forester optional motor gets the 2.0DIT for either packaging convenience (WRX already has it install in the Impreza platform) and/or the H6 packaging is tight/doesn't fit.

I would love to see Subaru put that motor in the Legacy as well. It will obvious fit since China is getting a 2.0DIT HTCVT Outback. I would love even more so 6MT 2.0DIT Legacy, but I have a gut feeling it will be CVT only. I don't see the H6 engine option going away anytime soon. The new 7 passenger is suppose to get a new H6. Subaru probably need enough volume to justify the production of a new H6 motor.

I can't say I love the cvt but I have seen the writing on the wall for a while. Manuals are fun and engaging to drive, but most people just want to get in and go and unfortunately most people buy more cars than us people. On the other hand having lived with a cvt briefly I can see the appeal to automatic trans enthusiasts, lol. My wife I hate to admit got used to driving her rental altima, and to her it felt fast.

Admittedly the tribeca is not slow, but it feels sluggish unless you pop it into sport mode. So I can definitely see a Fxt or outback with cvt in our future at some point. And I probably will like it just fine.

Looks like there are some vision (eyesight) problems for Subaru in Australia.

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/2015-subaru-outback-and-legacy-may-have-problems-emergency-braking

like the 3 year old digging in sand at the beach finding "treasures" to show everyone...

good work using your aggregator, you could have at least found the US June recall.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/06/subaru-recalls-cars-with-eyesight-active-safety/index.htm

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They will find themselves in the same spot Honda is right now, making cars that are just Honda's take on Toyota. Honda is promising more sporty models, move away from bland, etc. Cool, whatever, Honda to me is not the Honda of yester years. I'm feeling exactly the same about Subaru. It is hard to fault a company for going where the money is though and Subaru has stuck to the WRX and STI's pretty well.

They will find themselves in the same spot Honda is right now, making cars that are just Honda's take on Toyota. Honda is promising more sporty models, move away from bland, etc. Cool, whatever, Honda to me is not the Honda of yester years. I'm feeling exactly the same about Subaru. It is hard to fault a company for going where the money is though and Subaru has stuck to the WRX and STI's pretty well.

I agree, the cars are selling to the masses...like McDonald's hamburgers. I think glitches in production and engineering are gonna turn off new buyers and the sales will cool. Using "bubble burst" wasnt probably the best choice of words, but it got noticed by the fanboys. Maybe Subaru plants can keep up with production, design, engineering, sales and service all stay right on track. Handling a growing company like Subaru right now can be a challenge. The media and other manufacturers got you in their sights. When your a niche market company, you gotta have a niche...and not be a bland Toyota Jr. Subaru had the economical awd car market wrapped up...and then they raised their prices and competitors eyed the market.

When I bought my '08 LGT in December of '07, Subaru made about 225k total sales in the US for that year. That was somewhat over half of Camry sales in the States for the same year. Crazy. Nearly eight years later Subaru is cresting half a million vehicles sold and done the same way that Toyota does it, bland vehicles that work and appeal to anyone and everyone, a safe choice if you may. Attach a cute marketing campaign, something about love or some crap like that, and bam you grow 100% in less than a decade. Impressive for Subaru.

Truth be told if I was looking for a new car, I'd just go down to Subaru again and get a WRX, as there is no more GT Legacy. That is how much I love the combination of a smaller sporty sedan with AWD and an engine with great aftermarket support. I like Audi on paper and how well they drive when new, but I'd not get one as I like to keep my cars long term and German car longevity is a load of horseshit.

When I bought my '08 LGT in December of '07, Subaru made about 225k total sales in the US for that year. That was somewhat over half of Camry sales in the States for the same year. Crazy. Nearly eight years later Subaru is cresting half a million vehicles sold and done the same way that Toyota does it, bland vehicles that work and appeal to anyone and everyone, a safe choice if you may. Attach a cute marketing campaign, something about love or some crap like that, and bam you grow 100% in less than a decade. Impressive for Subaru.

Truth be told if I was looking for a new car, I'd just go down to Subaru again and get a WRX, as there is no more GT Legacy. That is how much I love the combination of a smaller sporty sedan with AWD and an engine with great aftermarket support. I like Audi on paper and how well they drive when new, but I'd not get one as I like to keep my cars long term and German car longevity is a load of horseshit.

Audi's have the doctor, dentist, etc. market all tied up. Subaru doesn't have the panache for most doctors.

On another note, I would have loved to be on the team that discussed the oil consumption debacle. I can imagine upper level subaru management sitting around a board table yelling at each other. Engineering, production, sales, financial and legal going toe to toe.

Audi's have the doctor, dentist, etc. market all tied up. Subaru doesn't have the panache for most doctors.

On another note, I would have loved to be on the team that discussed the oil consumption debacle. I can imagine upper level subaru management sitting around a board table yelling at each other. Engineering, production, sales, financial and legal going toe to toe.

I just love reading your posts. You don't have a clue as to what you're talking about, but you're willing to spout your opinion as if it is fact.

in 2010, the average Subaru customer made $88,000. That's over $10,000 more than a Toyota buyer, and Toyota sells far more expensive trucks and SUVs than Subaru so you think their average would be the higher of the two. 36% of Subaru's customer in 2010 paid cash for their car...and Subaru's affluent demographic has only increased in the last 5 years.

Subaru's core demographic has always been people that could afford to buy whatever they want, but they choose a Subaru for the overall value proposition. Doctors and engineers are well known for being a part of Subaru's core demographic.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

^^I definitely see this. Coworkers of mine have overvalued mine and my wifes subies plenty of times. And also just by the locations of the dealerships. Our first was bought at a now defunct dealer with Volvo, VW, Mecedes, and Audi IIRC.

I just love reading your posts. You don't have a clue as to what you're talking about, but you're willing to spout your opinion as if it is fact.

in 2010, the average Subaru customer made $88,000. That's over $10,000 more than a Toyota buyer, and Toyota sells far more expensive trucks and SUVs than Subaru so you think their average would be the higher of the two. 36% of Subaru's customer in 2010 paid cash for their car...and Subaru's affluent demographic has only increased in the last 5 years.

Subaru's core demographic has always been people that could afford to buy whatever they want, but they choose a Subaru for the overall value proposition. Doctors and engineers are well known for being a part of Subaru's core demographic.

Hahaha. Yeah Subaru is well known for target marketing doctors and engineers at their 3% of market share. No wonder Subarus pieces of the pie has been so small until the recent upgrades! Hahaha. Please share more.

Archived