LegacyGT.com

Cam welding

Me and my buddy were tearing apart his engine (maybe a little too quickly), with oily hands he dropped one of the cams on the concrete floor. After cleaning and inspecting the cam under a light we think we see a small crack in the camshaft. I found a company in New England that claims they can weld a cracked camshaft: http://camsnortheast.net/services-view/camshaft-welding/

My question is has anyone ever had a camshaft welded?? If so any running issues? And did it hold up?

is buying a new cam that much more expensive than having a repair done. a quick search yeilds an intake cam being worth $160 new from a dealer. to me that is cheap compared to a potential failure from having it welded.

Lol, I have a friend who welded up his lobes and then ground them down for more lift. Was a junkyard sbc build. I wouldn't risk it in a subie motor. These things are rather delicate in regards to parts that do not have very good tolerances.

Buy a used cam from the forums.

Thanks for all the replies! My friend is a bit of a nut when it comes to these things, wants to keep it original. I don't see the point myself but that's what he wants. Maybe I will just buy him a new cam and tel him its the old one that was repaired and parkerized. lol

I agree that is the better way to go.

There is a good chance it is bent.

I know back in the early day's of Hot Rodding, guy's would weld material on the cams and regrind them. That's where companies like Crane, Isky, Eagle, etc got their start.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived