Invidia Header

VF52

Day 4

EBCS

grimmspeed intake

baseline runs?!

Any days that go better than planned, I can work on:

Perrin steering dampener lockdown

Legacy front calipers, pads, rotors, and new rear pads, rotors.

Wash it.

I'd do TGVs on day one, in case it goes sideways. And fuel pump second on day one, if you've got the time.

Header and turbo are great to do together, since it's easier to get the uppipe in/out with the turbo out.

Can you just get your base tune right away? just run wastegate boost and low timing, etc.? then i'd do the header and turbo the second day, and maybe the intake/TMIC if you've got the time. EBCS last if you breeze thru all that. :rolleyes:

Then i'd do the "frilly" stuff a day the following week, since they aren't hard and aren't incredibly important (exhaust, etc.).

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Why are you installing the TMIC so early? You will just need to remove it again.

Also completely unrelated, what have you done to your Evo and do you have any pictures of it?

2008 Evo X GSR (5MT)

Road Race Engineering (RRE) tune

WORKS drop in filter

RRE Stealth exhaust

RRE "No name" clutch

Tanabe DF210 springs

We bought the Evo new. It's been my wife's car 90% of the time, and our mini van for the first two years with our twins. She refuses to drive a SUV or mini van. Also refuses to drive automatic (our third car is her first owner 1998 Integra GSR).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8358/8418417235_9493cef220_c.jpg

Stock wheels, curbed the hell up due to my wife's old office's circular parking garage. She had to go up 5 levels, circling to the left, badge-ing in 3 times. She kept catching the left wheels trying to get close enough for her short arms to reach. She wants some nice JDM wheels... which will be at least +25mm farther out... but she has to stop curbing the oems! The new office has a normal parking lot, so maybe by summer.

This is an old pic, but with all the parts above, because right now it needs some bumper love. Front grill sucked in a tire tread. it's cosmetic, so just annoying right now.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=224902&stc=1&d=1455660021

327hp/311 ft-lbs on RREs dynapacks:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=224914&stc=1&d=1455665963

Before we had kids, we did fun things with it. here's her at lady's autox school:

5219288222_fd3102470b_z.jpg

EvoX.jpg.5d4d6be3dd04cef6ec9c471f772d2f0d.jpg

EvoXDyno_noname.jpg.6aec4e0f1559953c17de0ace9d0b8910.jpg

Edited by rebourne

How does she feel about you going over to the other (subaru) side? Looks like you had a lot of fun with it.

What car seats are those? They look nice and tiny.

When I started dating her, I soon sold my S2000 and leased a brand new 2005 LGT, manual, non-limited sedan. She thought I was crazy then! Before getting the OB, we talked alot about what my next car was going to be (I had a G37 lease ending). Lease, or buy? In the end, she just rolled with whatever I picked within the budget, no complaints. She also doesn't "get" the wagon steez, but she sure appreciates the space. and that it's not a mini van. But the plan was to get a turbo car and add more power, so we're on track!

Car seats:

Combi Coccoro

my post on EvoM: 2 car seats, 2 strollers & an empty trunk? No problem.

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/644427-2-car-seats-2-strollers-empty-trunk-no-problem.html

We have a set in the Evo and another set in the OB. Kids are getting tall for them! I think they are for children 5-40 lbs who are less than 40 inches tall... They'll hit 40" way before they get to 40lbs, and then we'll need four more seats... ugh.

2008 Evo X GSR (5MT)

Road Race Engineering (RRE) tune

WORKS drop in filter

RRE Stealth exhaust

RRE "No name" clutch

Tanabe DF210 springs

Nice man! I had a 5spd swapped VIII MR w/ 400whp. (EvoM Thread) Owned the car for 8 years and will always have a soft spot. Currently helping a buddy tune his X MR.

We have a set in the Evo and another set in the OB. Kids are getting tall for them! I think they are for children 5-40 lbs who are less than 40 inches tall... They'll hit 40" way before they get to 40lbs, and then we'll need four more seats... ugh.

The nice thing is that when they finally get big enough to turn around, there become tons of room. I was able to get my son in the back of a EG civic hatch once he was big enough to turn the seat around. 2 would be pushing it tho :lol:

Edited by cBax

Nice man! I had a 5spd swapped VIII MR w/ 400whp. (EvoM Thread) Owned the car for 8 years and will always have a soft spot. Currently helping a buddy tune his X MR.

The nice thing is that when they finally get big enough to turn around, there become tons of room. I was able to get my son in the back of a EG civic hatch once he was big enough to turn the seat around. 2 would be pushing it tho :lol:

skimmed the first page of that thread. Good story! Skipped to the last page... cried a little.

Have you driven an X in anger? that torque vectoring wizardry is f'ing magic. The X is such a well rounded car. Goes, turns like nothing in it's weight class should be able too, and stops pretty damn good too! Love the recaros... shifter is from a semi truck though. But once you've driven the S2000s trans you're ruined for all others anyways...

Oh, the kids are facing forward. They're 4.5 yo and going to out grow these infant to toddler seats soon.

I push it! The back up car is that 98 integra with both of these car seats! With no kid in the car seat behind me, I can get normal leg room. Add kids, and I'm scrunched up a bit, but not terribly. That's just for picking them up from pre-school when the OB is on jack stands or something.

I'd do TGVs on day one, in case it goes sideways. And fuel pump second on day one, if you've got the time.

Header and turbo are great to do together, since it's easier to get the uppipe in/out with the turbo out.

Can you just get your base tune right away? just run wastegate boost and low timing, etc.? then i'd do the header and turbo the second day, and maybe the intake/TMIC if you've got the time. EBCS last if you breeze thru all that. :rolleyes:

Then i'd do the "frilly" stuff a day the following week, since they aren't hard and aren't incredibly important (exhaust, etc.).

Ugh, of course I can ask for the baseline map... duh.

I like you're thinking here, thanks!

So let me get this straight... You're wife dailys and Evo because she hates mini vans? In fact, she prefers a manual trans, and a vehicle that can handle itself at speed? AND she went to AutoX school?!?!?!

If you ever get divorced hit me up. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

So let me get this straight... You're wife dailys and Evo because she hates mini vans? In fact, she prefers a manual trans, and a vehicle that can handle itself at speed? AND she went to AutoX school?!?!?!

If you ever get divorced hit me up. :lol:

Since we are soooo off topic, She tracked her Integra at Streets of Willow too.

So, Yes, all of the above. Expect the last part. I'm keeping her.

Since we are soooo off topic, She tracked her Integra at Streets of Willow too.

So, Yes, all of the above. Expect the last part. I'm keeping her.

Mad respect for that woman. Damn right you should keep her, I'm jelly. Hope to find myself a girl like that one day!

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

• 1 month later...

^^^

It's finally time to install that bad boy!

The plan is:

VF52

Invidia ELH

GrimmSpeed intake

AVO TMIC

DW65c

I'll try the 3" -> 2.25" un-resonated mid pipe, but it might be too loud for me.

And we'll see what Cryo says about installing the EBCS.

Then get the tuning process started!

Got a late start, but today's progress:

26216422856_d45b6a8a3d_h.jpg

OEM exhaust header w/ heat shields, oem intercooler, and turbo heat shield.

Stock VF40 nearly ready to be swapped out. There was zero oil residue in the turbo and IC.

26149900012_4e0044084e_h.jpg

The extra long reach 2-ton Harbor Freight jack was everything I hoped it would be. Can get to the center jack point, and still lift higher than my highest jack stands.

25969475430_d4c813e010_h.jpg

Way back in the garage there's a big fluorescent fixture right above the engine. Little too tight to do a suspension swap in that spot, but just fine for this job.

26242352105_fa4e1514ac_h.jpg

The backup car is cleaner than the Outback. Better add a wash to my to do list...:

25639681853_71c84f1f47_h.jpg

Edited by rebourne

^^^

It's finally time to install that bad boy!

The plan is:

VF52

Invidia ELH

GrimmSpeed intake

AVO TMIC

DW65c

I'll try the 3" -> 2.25" un-resonated mid pipe, but it might be too loud for me.

And we'll see what Cryo says about installing the EBCS.

Then get the tuning process started!

Got a late start, but today's progress:

Stock VF40 nearly ready to be swapped out. There was zero oil residue in the turbo and IC.[/img]

Your backup car looks great. Jealous of that. Must be a ton of fun. What PSI were you running the VF40 at? I had oil residue in my IC on my VF46 on stage 2.

I used an EBCS at Stage 2. Cryo said not needed, but appreciated from a tuner's perspective.

I think BmB fought with the one piece ELH to uppipe combo, especially with a bolt on (i.e. not PS / GS type intercooler), so you may have some fitment issues there.

No injectors?

Thanks! The backup car is tired... needs so much work, from clutch, to rebuild (burns a quart every 500), to a cracked windshield, barely smogs, throws a smog related CELs and other things like the throttle cable that sticks wide open sometimes. But my wife's the first owner of it, and it keeps smogging, so we keep it. The kids car seats fit in the back and all of us are short enough that it works out in a pinch (ha! literally!). And I've brought a 6 foot christmas tree home on top of it, bc you couldn't really f*ck up the paint any worse. It does have great coil overs and camber arms on it.

Cobb Stage 2 OTS = 16psi target. I typically see 15.5-16.

The Invidia 1.5 scroll fitment issues worry me! Will find out in a day or two! Waiting on gaskets to arrive at my door.

I have a set of used (side feed) DW 740s. I'd like to see how the tuning goes with the stock injectors. The 740s aren't really big enough for fully realizing the potential of E85, so if I bother with injectors, I'd want bigger. For a future E85 tune. But I don't really want to convert to a whole top feed solution and have another complex thing to remove from the car come smog time. More research and soul searching for the injectors/E85 topic.

I wonder if my stock VF40 is the original turbo. no reason to suspect it isn't other than having nearly 130k miles on it.

Hmm, i have swirls of oil in my compressor housing... Oil getting in thru inlet or turbo seal? Ugh

something to definitely keep an eye on! My vf40 has so little play, when i checked it, and confirmed by my engine rebuilder, that I have doubts that it's the original turbo. I should have it out of the car today.

Thanks! The backup car is tired... needs so much work, from clutch, to rebuild (burns a quart every 500), to a cracked windshield, barely smogs, throws a smog related CELs and other things like the throttle cable that sticks wide open sometimes. But my wife's the first owner of it, and it keeps smogging, so we keep it. The kids car seats fit in the back and all of us are short enough that it works out in a pinch (ha! literally!). And I've brought a 6 foot christmas tree home on top of it, bc you couldn't really f*ck up the paint any worse. It does have great coil overs and camber arms on it.

Cobb Stage 2 OTS = 16psi target. I typically see 15.5-16.

The Invidia 1.5 scroll fitment issues worry me! Will find out in a day or two! Waiting on gaskets to arrive at my door.

I have a set of used (side feed) DW 740s. I'd like to see how the tuning goes with the stock injectors. The 740s aren't really big enough for fully realizing the potential of E85, so if I bother with injectors, I'd want bigger. For a future E85 tune. But I don't really want to convert to a whole top feed solution and have another complex thing to remove from the car come smog time. More research and soul searching for the injectors/E85 topic.

I wonder if my stock VF40 is the original turbo. no reason to suspect it isn't other than having nearly 130k miles on it.

My Cryotune (VF52 and pump) rest is stock, is close to maxing out the injectors for what Dave feels comfortable with.

At 40% wgdc so we have TONS of room to increase boost as it is but were already showing 82% IDC.

If you are paying for a tune and aren't planning on running E85 for awhile, might be worth it to throw the 740s in.

Edited by Rhitter

My Cryotune (VF52 and pump) rest is stock, is close to maxing out the injectors for what Dave feels comfortable with.

If you are paying for a tune and aren't planning on running E85 for awhile, might be worth it to throw the 740s in.

Good points... thanks for the numbers.

I know fahr_side has a negative feelings about the DW side feeds. I haven't seeked any other opinions on them. I think I have some hesitation there.

This is my first time working with Dave, well other than my wishy washy emails to him about when we are going to start and what parts I've recently acquired... This is my first deep dive into a turbo swap, so I'd like to get up and stable with no issues on the minimal parts, to eliminate having too many things to troubleshoot. If he is cool about getting a base tune on, then having me add in the 740s, I think I'd give it a try.

Im at 85%+ on wastegate pressure! haha It was creeping a little up to 14psi yesterday morning and I forgot to log to file. Doh That was the most it's seen so far and I wanted a log. Will try again.

Stock injectors, stock pump, stock TMIC for now..

Im hoping to squeeze 15 or 16psi out the top without it getting too dangerous.

If you have injectors, install them. There isnt much head room on the stockers.

Cryo's post about e tuning with upgraded injectors says a wideband is required. Does that just replace the front O2 sensor, and then the AccessPort will log it?

negatory. need a bunghole and wideband and wideband controller and a way to interface to your logging method.

most aftermarket DPs have a bung right at the bellmouth for this use.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *