LegacyGT.com

start button failure -- but no problem!

I've been driving a 2015 Legacy with the starter button for about 6 mo. I wasn't enthusiastic about the start button, but OK, got used to it. However, in the spring, on three occasions, the car just didn't start. It sounded a little like a weak battery. When I tried again right away, nothing -- like a dead battery. I thought "software glitch" -- I read today about some Ford models with software start (or rather turn-off) problems -- but now I'm pretty sure not. When the car went in for the first service, it turns out that it had a defective battery -- one cell bad -- replaced on warranty. AOK. But I'm thinking -- as 2015 Legacies get older, and batteries are weaker, others may have this experience. So ---

Recovery was actually pretty easy.

1) Turn everything off and wait for 60 seconds. Then try again, and hold the button down until the car is fully started.

2) In general, don't just touch the button -- hold it down until the start is complete. When I was careful to do that, I had no more problems, even with the weak battery. It was six weeks before I got it in for service and the battery was replaced.

3) If you have this experience, get your battery checked. Don't wait as long as I did.

It's a great car, I love it, the gas mileage is great, and the car is quick and responsive, fun to drive. No reason to let a little problem spoil the fun.

Archived