LegacyGT.com

Consumer Reports: Excessive oil consumption

Picky1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 2014 Legacy 4 cyl. I love my car and last may I drove to LA and back(13 hundred miles) and a week later while my wife was driving the oil light came on. We were down a little over a quart. Seems like a lot for one trip on a car that had less than 50k on it. I continued to watch it and it has been going through oil beyond what I AM COMFORTABLE with. I take it in today for an oil consumption test after another trip to LA. Oil is down, but I don't think it's in guidelines of needing their fix(which is new short block from what I understand).

The dip stick definitely seemed overfilled when I started my test. Hope this turns out well for this young of a car(I do have 64k on it).

ncg

I have a 2014 Legacy 4 cyl. I love my car and last may I drove to LA and back(13 hundred miles) and a week later while my wife was driving the oil light came on. We were down a little over a quart. Seems like a lot for one trip on a car that had less than 50k on it. I continued to watch it and it has been going through oil beyond what I AM COMFORTABLE with. I take it in today for an oil consumption test after another trip to LA. Oil is down, but I don't think it's in guidelines of needing their fix(which is new short block from what I understand).

The dip stick definitely seemed overfilled when I started my test. Hope this turns out well for this young of a car(I do have 64k on it).

ncg

I would have made them drain down to the proper full mark.

ncg

Your feelings are totally normal. Weird it happened on a 2014. They didn't seal the dipstick with tape? Some dealers do that to prevent customer interference. Subaru can produce engines that don't use oil and still get good mileage. Our 2011 goes 5-6k between oil changes without using.

in the last 10 years, I have owned or own the following

1986 Subaru GL (200k+ miles)

1996 Land Rover Discover (140k+ miles)

2002 Jeep Wrangler (40k+ miles)

2003 Subaru Legacy (135k+ miles)

2003 Dodge Durango (150k+ miles)

2004 Subaru Outback Wagon (140k+ miles)

2004 Dodge Neon (150k+ miles)

2004 Subaru Legacy (118k+ miles)

with regular maintenance, PCV replacement, etc. I run Amsoil oil and gear lube in the engine transmission and difs with 10k mile change intervals with no oil loss after 10k miles. Even the abused GL didn't burn oil after I tuned it up and flush the system, replaced valve cover gaskets. Proper maintenance and treatment is needed. Most of the new buyers don't do that however.

in the last 10 years, I have owned or own the following

1986 Subaru GL (200k+ miles)

1996 Land Rover Discover (140k+ miles)

2002 Jeep Wrangler (40k+ miles)

2003 Subaru Legacy (135k+ miles)

2003 Dodge Durango (150k+ miles)

2004 Subaru Outback Wagon (140k+ miles)

2004 Dodge Neon (150k+ miles)

2004 Subaru Legacy (118k+ miles)

with regular maintenance, PCV replacement, etc. I run Amsoil oil and gear lube in the engine transmission and difs with 10k mile change intervals with no oil loss after 10k miles. Even the abused GL didn't burn oil after I tuned it up and flush the system, replaced valve cover gaskets. Proper maintenance and treatment is needed. Most of the new buyers don't do that however.

At 10K mile oil change intervals...you would have added 8 quarts of oil to the affected Subaru engines with the loose/aligned rings. Even Amsoil wouldn't help that. Blowby will continue regardless of the type of oil, unless you use a heavier grade or fix the rings.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived