LegacyGT.com

New to the area and in need a good shop

GipsySpec.B

It's all in the title, recently moved to Monterey and will be here for the next 18 months.

Since moving to Monterey from Utah my suspension has kicked it (stupid springs killed my top hats and I'm running old lgt front struts since my Bilstein sheered it's top bolt) and I don't have the resources I use to so I'm in the need of a decent shop to do the work that I can't while here. Simple things, at most when my Bilsteins come back I'd need a place that'll swap them in. Any help and advise would be great. I'll be keeping my ear out for local events but I don't have a whole lot of free time.

I'll check that out. It doesn't have to super close to Monterey, if it's reputable and not going to take all my money and try to sell me on shit I don't need, want, or whatever I'd drive a little to get there.

The biggest thing for me now is getting my suspension fixed. After that it'll just be for small fixes and what not when they arise.

I can do everything in my garage for you for a few benjamins and an afternoon. although it's a 3 hour drive from you to me.

3 hrs? damn, but if the price isn't bad I wouldn't be against it. As long as I can help. I prefer to be hands on with my car. I'm going to check on a couple shops this weekend, one this afternoon actually.

I would want you to help. And we would have to be certain you had absolutely everything you needed to do it right and do it once. If it's a direct bolt in spring, shock and tophat replacement, that's easy and we could do all four corners in 4 hours easily.

I only say 3 hours because of traffic sometimes thru San Jose area. But if you headed up here early in the morning, you could do it in about 2.5 hours quite easily. I am in Brentwood.

Right on. The front would be a straight swap, new top hats on the stock Bilstein and springs. However the rear is currently the stock Bilsteins struts with Teins and I'd have to tear them apart and replace the spring. No extra struts for that end.

I remember passing by Brentwood on my way in though Sacremento. It wouldn't be bad, just make it a day trip and shuffle the mrs. over to San Francisco after the car work. I'll let you know once I get my strut back and what kind of timeline I'd look at doing it.

• 2 weeks later...
Got that replacement Bilstein yet?

Nope. It's taking a while. I found out that the Naval school here has a club shop that I can rent time at so I'll probably just be doing it here. I'm not entirely sure so I'll let you know once I have all the parts.

Sonic Motorsports in San Jose by Junction and Charcot.

They quoted me $350 for coilovers and $150 for alignment. Not bad at all.

They were the ones who rolled my front fenders flat...nice and neat.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Thanks! I actually found out that the Navy Graduate School here has a 3 lift garage that they allow students to rent so I'll be doing my struts there, as far as the alignment goes there's a shop just around the corner that quoted me at $90 for the alignment. I need to replace my lower Control Arm bushings and steering rack bushings but those are thing's I've never done so I might find a shop to do those. Not sure yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks I'll contact them.

In other news I installed my JDM Rev.C blisteins today and did some de-badging. The suspension feels LOADS better than the MacGyver'd KYB's I was burrowing and the Tein springs, Those things felt miserable. The ride is a tad firmer than the stock Bilsteins but most importantly they only have 14k km of wear and not 120k miles. I'll be ordering Pinks after I do some bushings, probably sometime in the fall. I'll throw some potato photos up later.

AE motorsports in Santa Cruz is pretty damn good for the price. They work on Volvos (sweet V70R) but there getting into Subarus too. Just took the LGT for 105k work and was quite impressed for the service and quality of parts. I believe they do suspension work too.

Also Ricks Auto shop is pretty good for Subarus in SC though they have a long waiting list.

Know anyone who does Cobb pro tuning other than GST in Hayward? I tried to get him on the phone, but the wife is the "filter" and no one gets to talk to him.

I'm looking for San Jose and then working my way out.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

Know anyone who does Cobb pro tuning other than GST in Hayward? I tried to get him on the phone, but the wife is the "filter" and no one gets to talk to him.

I'm looking for San Jose and then working my way out.

If you'd get on the local Subie FB group, then it's easy to get ahold of Mike Warfield (GST)...directly.

I would also highly recommend Travis Barnes at Snail Performance up in the Roseville area. He's known all over the West Coast.

I contacted Travis Barnes and he was very detailed with what we can do for my goals the only thing is you get what you pay for and he's on the higher end for my budget so I'll be tuning later than originally planned.

I will try a tune from Brentuning. If that goes well, I'm set...if not, I will get a custom tune on a dyno (WRX not Legacy, but Cobb AP nonetheless)

Archived