LegacyGT.com

Backup camera walk-through (4th Gen w/ Nav)

Dispatch20

My list of things to do to my car is getting long so I decided to start ordering everything. Being in Canada, ordering from amazon.ca is better, and of course they don't have the camera you mentioned. So I started searching for alternatives and found this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Professional-Exterior-Weatherproof-Camera-Vision/dp/B0081B58LG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476309522&sr=8-1&keywords=backup+Rear+View+Camera

Should it work just fine? It got great reviews and the price is great.

Thanks!

The one you listed is the type that bolts on to your license plate. I find that style less visually appealing than the smaller ones that bolt underneath the area above the license place. For example, this one looks just like the one on my outback:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B014PD4MFG/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1476324638&sr=8-16&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=backup+camera

To answer your question, yes the one you listed will work.

Thanks Dispatch. I could see them not looking as nice, but it doesn't bother me too much. And considering it's my winter vehicle, the back will be pretty dirty anyways lol. I'll keep looking before I order, but thanks for confirming this one would work!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
So the reverse wire is in the passenger side kick panel I assume a tester was used to check whatever had 12v to it when in reverse?
I never found that particular wire. It was easy enough to route the reverse signal from the tail light since I had to route the video feed anyways. It just wasn't worth the effort to dig around in there.

• 5 weeks later...
I never found that particular wire. It was easy enough to route the reverse signal from the tail light since I had to route the video feed anyways. It just wasn't worth the effort to dig around in there.

I found it with the circuit tester.

Thanks!

A few things I've learned since I wrote this:

Use a dremel (or similar) to cut a small notch in the license plate bulb black plastic area to give clearance for the backup camera cable. You don't want to pinch the video and power feed in that spot because vibration will cause the cable to chafe and eventually fail. I made this mistake and noticed it when I replaced my failed backup cam.

The Nav screen works OK for the backup screen, but I much prefer the displays that are embedded in the rearview mirror. In my 09 Outback, I installed a Gentex rear view mirror from the 10-12 Legacy/Outback with the embedded video display. It's much brighter in direct sunlight light and overall crisper than the 4th gen Subaru Nav screen.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160912/6ab4a0d83f5dd072962e785d3491dba8.jpg

Dispatch20

I just picked up a 2011 Legacy homelink mirror with the display (Gentex)

Question for you:Where did you get the harness with the 12 pin connector for video and wire it in? I've been looking around this evening but not finding much to go on.

Thanks

Dispatch20

I just picked up a 2011 Legacy homelink mirror with the display (Gentex)

Question for you:Where did you get the harness with the 12 pin connector for video and wire it in? I've been looking around this evening but not finding much to go on.

Thanks

I am not associated with this seller, but I think his product is good. Here is part of my email correspondence from when I bought his 12 pin Gentex mirror cable. $50 seems like a lot but it saved me a bunch of time.

"Our harnesses for the GHSHL4 mirrors include the mirror-to-vehicle jumper harness (12 pin to 3 pin), plus an RCA cable and camera power and ground wires.* The RCA cable & power/ground wires are all part of the harness and are long enough to reach the bottom of the dash (approx. 9 feet long).* That way, once you install your camera you'll just bring the camera video cable & power/ground wires to the under-dash area of your vehicle and then plug the camera's video cable into the RCA female cable on the mirror harness & splice the camera power & ground wires to the power & ground wires on the mirror harness.* That way you are not tapping into any of the vehicle's wiring at all, and all of your connections are inside of your vehicle away from dirt & moisture.

Picture of the kit is attached.

Cost of the adapter harness & installation hardware is $59. If you do not need the wire cover shown in the picture, take $10 off the total (if you do happen to need the wire cover, check your mirror's mounting bracket as the GHSHL4 mirrors came with two styles, one which is a regular wedge mount and the other with an extended mount that is still a wedge mount, but there's provisions to mount a connector on the mount.* If yours is the regular one, the wire cover will work; if yours has the extended mount, then the cover will not work - sample pix of mirrors with the standard mount and extended mount are attached).* Prices include shipping & insurance.

Thank you & have a blessed day!

Best Regards,

Bob Prim

Bob's Automotive Mirrors & More LLC

7697 Forest Lawn Road

Three Oaks, MI 49128-9558

219-575-9220

Philippians 4:13

http://www.bobsmirrors.com

http://stores.ebay.com/bobsautomotiverearviewmirrors

http://www.facebook.com/bobsmirrors

twitter.com/Bobs_Mirrors"

I also was able to find the connector part # for the 12 pin connector, in case you wanted to make your own.

TE part #: 1318774-2 (and then file down a couple plastic fins and it will plug right in). Of course, you'll also need crimp contacts, crimper, wire, etc. The gentex 12 pin pinout is out there on the web somewhere.

Edited by Dispatch20

• 9 months later...

Today I tried to add a rearview camera.

But I don't have where to put in molex connector, do you have any ideas how I could get to work my rear view camera in this Navi screen.

Q7iWyRf.jpg

l0JKWoh.jpg

I have 2006 H6 Outback

• 3 weeks later...
I'm wondering if this is specific to the 08-09 legacys
I believe it applies to all Legacies with Nav back to 06. The 06 Spec B had it. Here's the nav hacking stuff from way back then:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/another-oem-navi-features-hack-thread-progress-and-documents-36342.html?t=36342

I'm surprised an 06 Outback factory Nav didn't.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I just did this install and everything went great except my video is black and white. I double checked and the camera I purchased is a hd color camera. Just wondering if anyone else had this issue and knew how to fix it.

it's due to incompatibility of color systems. Subaru monitor uses NTSC video signal, but your cam is most probably PAL. You can just purchase PAL to NTSC video converter on aliexpress and convert the video signal.

Is there a good way to route power for the converter that isn’t using a cigarette lighter?

It should be powered with same wire as cam (added later: via 12v to 5v micro USB power converter) - as it should work same time when cam is on. You can locate it in trunk lid and power from reverse light or you can put it next to your headunit video input. It doesnt matter.

Edited by Brunzo

If you use the signal converter posted above, you'll also need a way to convert the 12V DC power from the car to 5V (which is the USB standard voltage that the converter runs on). DC-DC converters are relatively cheap, and I agree you should tap into the same power feed you used for the camera itself.