LegacyGT.com

Takata Airbag recall

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been described before - but the aging of the explosive in the airbag inflation device causes it to explode with more force than what was designed in the event of an accident that sets off the airbags with sometimes lethal results.

So a minor accident setting off the airbags can kill the passenger. So unless this is corrected it would actually be safer to disable the passenger airbag and make sure the passenger wears a seat belt.

453747.png

• 1 month later...
Anyone have any issues with the light coming on after the takata recall service? Mine is on intermittenly after I had it serviced.

Go back to the dealer, the replacement item may have been faulty or they didn't connect it correctly.

453747.png

• 4 weeks later...
wonder when the recall will begin going to the states not in the high-risk zone... replacements are supposed to continue even though Takata is being sold, but there are still lots of cars out there with the faulty inflators... Needless to say, NM is in the region that has to wait (replacements are supposed to continue through something like 2019...)

• 2 months later...

Did you know that Legacy is included in Takata airbag recall?

Torque News reports: Subaru Expands Takata Air Bag Recall; Is Your Vehicle On the List?

Here is the remedy.

This latest recall affecting 2009-2013, Forester, Outback, WRX/STI, Legacy and Tribeca, and 2009-2011 Impreza models is expected to begin February 9, 2018. Subaru will notify owners my mail, and dealers will replace the front passenger air bag inflator, free of charge. Owners may contact Subaru customer service at 1-800-782-2783. Subaru's number for this recall is TKA-18. Owners can also use the Subaru vehicle recall VIN lookup here to check for the latest recall information on your vehicle.

• 1 year later...

Searched all over and haven't seen this asked. I'm sure this is a non issue but I'm paranoid.

I'm getting this recall finally done this Saturday. Any concerns about them going near or needing to flash the ECU?

Any concerns about them going near or needing to flash the ECU?

In theory, no, but if there's an update available from Subaru and they check the existing version for whatever then they might do the update as routine work.

If you have a custom flash on there I'd make sure they know about it.

In theory, no, but if there's an update available from Subaru and they check the existing version for whatever then they might do the update as routine work.

If you have a custom flash on there I'd make sure they know about it.

Thanks. I'm talking with the advisor tonight.

Hate that I even have to do this. I've had this car in a time capsule pretty much for like 7 years since modding it. Like one tank of gas through it a year. At 88k still. Them goofing up my tune or ruining my dash is my nightmare right now. :spin:

Why is it just sitting there for 7 years?

My dash did get scratched noticeably, they cracked the passenger-side vent and the center cubby. But, it's a dd / IDGAF car, so oh well. Cubby has cracked 5 more times in the last year, plastic is just old. I bought a used vent for $35 off here, and am eventually doing a Nexus cubby install. Just need work to stop being insane.

I did it for the safety factor - I daily drive with family, so I didn't want any issues with a faulty airbag.

If I was only driving the car a few hundred miles a year forever (or are you planning to drive it more regularly again in the future?) and didn't want them to mess things up, I'd do the airbag bypass like I did while waiting for my turn for the recall and call it a day.. Otherwise, disassemble as much as possible FOR them (remove stereo, cubby, vents, glove box at home) to reduce the risk of them scratching anything.

Is it a Cobb flash, or open source? If open source, why not just take your flash device with you, so you can reflash just in case?

• 2 years later...

Looks like the wagon has to go in for the airbag and brake line recall once she is back on the road. I'm just worried the dash is going to get damaged in the process. Reading the horror stories on here didn't help much.

Anyone have a recommended dealer in Connecticut?

• 2 weeks later...
‘08 Outback XT goes into the stealer here in Portland today for the 2nd airbag recall. Crossing my fingers. I did leave a post it note inside my empty glovebox imploring them to be careful.

Happy to report that Carr Subaru here in Portland did a great job on the recall. Every looks great :) Also talked with the service advisor about getting the track car in. I hadn’t done even the first recall on it as I done want any shop monkeys messing with the car. My advisor is willing to let me pull the car into their service bay, watch them replacement it and then pull the car back out. Edited by shralp

Happy to report that Carr Subaru here in Portland did a great job on the recall. Every looks great :) Also talked with the service advisor about getting the track car in. I hadn’t done even the first recall on it as I done want any shop monkeys messing with the car. My advisor is willing to let me pull the car into their service bay, watch them replacement it and then pull the car back out.

I had both airbag recalls done at Carr Subaru and they did a great job. No sign that they took anything apart.