LegacyGT.com

Takata Airbag recall

The issue is that they used the incorrect type of explosive - one that becomes more explosive when it is aging due to exposure to humidity.

Even though the deaths have been in Hondas only it may be because they are pretty common and the number of deaths are few enough to not be statistically significant to point out a single car manufacturer.

453747.png

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way that Honda outsells BMW, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Ford, Chrysler, and General Motors combined by a 10:1 margin. 10 fatalities to none is statistically significant.

No way that Honda outsells BMW, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Ford, Chrysler, and General Motors combined by a 10:1 margin. 10 fatalities to none is statistically significant.

Wrong, one death in a Ford Ranger so far, plus lots of injuries that didn't result in death but are pretty freaking horrific (Google it)

I think age has a lot to do with it. They degrade over time and there seems to be more of these defective explosives in older Honda vehicles than others, it's a matter of time before they start killing people in other makes. Do you want each manufacturer to wait until that happens?

The problem is well documented, Takata and probably the manufacturers knew about it long before and deaths.

AutoNation was Subaru. Subaru never used Takata in any driver airbag, whereas it looks like a lot of Hondas (if not all) use Takata on the driver's side. When you compare driver's side and passenger side airbags to just passenger side airbags, you'll definitely see the problem more with airbags on both sides.

Like ehnils said, it was the propellant they used. They also had little clue, whether it was legitimate or it was document-hiding, what cars the defective propellant were deployed to, that's why we see the list continue to grow, essentially they don't know or aren't saying.

The injuries also haven't been just in Hondas, last September there were 139 injuries reported across all automakers. The following is an interesting read if you haven't seen it.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/honda-taking-heat-for-hiding-deaths-injuries-from-exploding-airbag-recalls/

• 3 weeks later...

I called a few local Subaru dealers in western Mass trying to get an appointment for an airbag replacement in my 05 OBXT and they all told me the parts are on backorder, they don't know when to expect them and there's no waiting list I can get on. Thanks a bunch guys.

So I called SOA (1-800-782-2783) and explained that my car was in Georgia for 5 years and that I have no choice but to carry a passenger in the front seat a few times a week. SOA connected me to my local Subaru dealer and they said they could perform the airbag swap in two days. Just had it done today, took 2.5 hours. Yeah, they left greasy hand prints all over my dash, but I much prefer that to driving around with a potential hand grenade in front of my lady's face.

Hopefully her 06 Impreza doesn't have a Takata inflator - it's not on the recall list yet...

Just had mine done last week. They had the car all day and gave me a loaner 2016 Crosstrek (total POS). No damage to the car, you'd never know it was worked on.

Before that I had made an appointment to just leave my car there and they'd get me a loaner. They said if I felt unsafe that even though they couldn't order the parts they could give me a loaner and keep my car. Only when they have the car they can try to order parts. The day before I was going to drop my car off they called and said they can order parts now without the car there and asked if I wanted the loaner or to just order parts and bring it in. I chose to keep my car because I was going on vacation anyway (without my car). It sounds like if you push the issue they will get it done, so push it if your local dealer is giving you trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had mine done, sure enough they snapped the clip on the driver's side cover. I had a feeling that was going to happen, since I learned the hard way that you need to push the clip out going through the opening for the fuses. Now waiting for them to order a new one.

When you have yours done, make sure to check the driver's side cover to see if they broke the clip. The bottom will flop open if you just give it a slight pull. The passenger side is completely different and won't break when removed.

You talking about the end-caps at the very ends of the dash at the side that the doors cover when closed?

Mine are already fairly loose from having them on and off a few times.

I had a glass shop break the clips on the A-pillar covers once. Glued them back with silicone and didn't tell me. Yep, I had them order new ones.

I'm mostly worried about scratches being put in the dashboard. It seems it would be easy to damage if the vents were pried out the wrong way. Center vent just pulls out without using any pry tools, not sure about the sides or if they even need to come out.

I put my original 2005 radio back in as I know the funky ground connector on the 07 with the aux-in harness will confuse them. I'll have to remove my dashcam wiring as it's all curled up at the right side behind that end panel.

It's going in next weekend. God give me strength :lol:

Yes the end cap, just the drivers side. It's loose because your clip is already broken. I don't think anyone can remove it the traditional way without breaking the lower clip. After I broke mine the first time and ordered a replacement, I go in with needle nose pliers through the fuse door and squeeze and push the clip out.

The passenger side doesn't have the fragile clip on the bottom.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know whether the airbag is mounted on the underside of the dash or on the chassis?

I'm planning on swapping out my dash, I'm considering bringing them the dash itself and swapping it myself to avoid broken tabs, dash rattle, and forgotten connectors.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

I've been out of the country for the past year so just now got around to scheduling an appointment.

I plan on taking photos prior to drop off and have high hopes they won't mess anything up; I made it THIS far on my own without breaking anything. But has anyone had terrible experience or any kind of rattling after having the recall done?