LegacyGT.com

Takata Airbag recall

Is there an easy way to disable the passenger airbag? I know when there's no passenger (or a light weight passenger) the bag stays off, so I assume there's some sort of trigger in the seat. I'm sick of using my 5-seater as a single seater, and i won't risk killing my family, so the only option I see is to disable the thing (and hope that Takata isn't withholding the truth about the drivers side bags) :mad:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the passenger airbag can be disabled - I did it, and I've explained to a couple of others how to do it and still keep the rest of the airbags working. Requires 2 2-ohm (yes ohm, not kohm) resistors. PM me for details.

Yes, the passenger airbag can be disabled - I did it, and I've explained to a couple of others how to do it and still keep the rest of the airbags working. Requires 2 2-ohm (yes ohm, not kohm) resistors. PM me for details.

It's better if you post the instructions here instead.

453747.png

People are still afraid to drive their cars?!

People are still being killed in minor fender benders, so yeah I suppose some people are. I drive my car all the time, but I'm sure as hell not going to put my wife or kids in front of an air bag that's been proven to shoot jagged metal into peoples throats. Maybe you're OK with your passengers bleeding out after a minor crash, but I'm not. :icon_roll

Does this look like a deadly accident (ignoring all the blood from the slashed throat)

http://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/scalefit_630_noupscale/5706fe2e1e000087007067f3.jpeg

It's better if you post the instructions here instead.

It's probably better that he doesn't. It could be a liability that this site doesn't want/need.

It's probably better that he doesn't. It could be a liability that this site doesn't want/need.

Exactly. Don't need legal troubles just for trying to help out..

Make sure you guys take pictures before getting the work done on your car, check your mirror controls, mine wasn't put back in properly, check your glove box, they missed one off my pins the glove box literally fell off when I opened it, two chips on my dash, top and bottom when they were pulling my cubby out.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

People are still being killed in minor fender benders, so yeah I suppose some people are. I drive my car all the time, but I'm sure as hell not going to put my wife or kids in front of an air bag that's been proven to shoot jagged metal into peoples throats. Maybe you're OK with your passengers bleeding out after a minor crash, but I'm not. :icon_roll

Does this look like a deadly accident (ignoring all the blood from the slashed throat)

http://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/scalefit_630_noupscale/5706fe2e1e000087007067f3.jpeg

I pulled my airbag fuse, but I and my passengers always wear seatbelts, thus airbags provide minimal safety improvement over seatbelts.

The way I see it is, have all the airbags disabled and have a slight possibility that I'll be in a major enough wreck where they would be useful. Or have them connected and have a definite slit throat in a parking lot fender bender like you just pointed out in that picture.

Make sure you guys take pictures before getting the work done on your car, check your mirror controls, mine wasn't put back in properly, check your glove box, they missed one off my pins the glove box literally fell off when I opened it, two chips on my dash, top and bottom when they were pulling my cubby out.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

This makes me want to just remove the dash myself and take it to them so that they can't screw up anything...

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Ya my dealer forgot to plug in the key fob sensor and curbed a rim!

Oh and my dash rattles again...

Look on the bright side, maybe you guys can get the dealer to try and fix the rattle??

And free cabin air filter change. Lol

I pulled my airbag fuse, but I and my passengers always wear seatbelts, thus airbags provide minimal safety improvement over seatbelts.

The way I see it is, have all the airbags disabled and have a slight possibility that I'll be in a major enough wreck where they would be useful. Or have them connected and have a definite slit throat in a parking lot fender bender like you just pointed out in that picture.

Looks like the way I will handle it. Called my dealer about the recall and they said who knows when they will be able to get it done since parts are not available. Now with more Takata airbags added to recall the wait time may be completely insane.

Pulling the fuse tomorrow. Too dark outside right now.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

CR, you seem like such a knowledgeable guy. I'm surprised you'd go with pulling the fuse for the whole system vs. just disabling the passenger-side airbag..

Speaking of which, my '05 never came with a cabin air filter.

Anyone know the P/N for the necessary bits to retrofit one in? It'll need the tray, filter and new glove box box and whatever else.

Tray and everything should be there already, just buy the filter and take half the center console apart to get to it. :lol: You can find my pictures in this post.

CR, you seem like such a knowledgeable guy. I'm surprised you'd go with pulling the fuse for the whole system vs. just disabling the passenger-side airbag..

The problem is, yesterday they found that only the passenger airbag is dangerous, tomorrow they will probably add the driver side one to the danger list... At this point it's a much higher risk of being stabbed to death then being saved by the airbag (at least at our every day speeds).

I'm beginning to question the efficacy of airbags too, especially on 10+ year old airbags. Couple years ago I was in a 40mph wreck where I put a car on it's side, without an airbag and walked away with maybe a bruise. If I had an airbag in that car, I would have walked away with chemical burns, broken arm from hands not being in perfect 9 and 3 (due to counter steering), and finally some head jarring or even a concussion.

22 Ascent STOCK

Has anyone heard that Subaru has a new procedure where they don't need to pull the entire dash. I was told this after my 4th time back in the dealer to complain about issues, they forgot to plug in the sensor for my climate control and it blew hot air constantly.

The problem is, yesterday they found that only the passenger airbag is dangerous, tomorrow they will probably add the driver side one to the danger list... At this point it's a much higher risk of being stabbed to death then being saved by the airbag (at least at our every day speeds).

I'm beginning to question the efficacy of airbags too, especially on 10+ year old airbags. Couple years ago I was in a 40mph wreck where I put a car on it's side, without an airbag and walked away with maybe a bruise. If I had an airbag in that car, I would have walked away with chemical burns, broken arm from hands not being in perfect 9 and 3 (due to counter steering), and finally some head jarring or even a concussion.

Sure, I can see why you would have that opinion..

I can't find the exact statement anymore, but Subaru did officially state at one time that they have never used Takata airbags for any driver's side airbags, so unless they were lying (I suppose it could happen), I feel relatively safe that the recall won't be extended to the driver's side.

Sure, I can see why you would have that opinion..

I can't find the exact statement anymore, but Subaru did officially state at one time that they have never used Takata airbags for any driver's side airbags, so unless they were lying (I suppose it could happen), I feel relatively safe that the recall won't be extended to the driver's side.

Thing is, we don't know know if Takata is the only one with issues, couple years from now they might find another manufacturer having same issues. This is all fine for younger cars, but as we start getting into 10+ year range I wouldn't be surprised if more airbags start having issues.

Plus the whole concept of airbags... It's a freaking explosive charge targeted at your face :lol:

22 Ascent STOCK

Ya my dealer forgot to plug in the key fob sensor and curbed a rim!

Oh and my dash rattles again...

Look on the bright side, maybe you guys can get the dealer to try and fix the rattle??

And free cabin air filter change. Lol

My passenger air bag was replaced today and I left the dealership thinking my fob battery died. When my backup didn't work either I knew something was wrong. How hard is it to plug back in the key fob sensor? Where is the thing hiding? Is there another trip to the dealer in my near future?

Little know fact. Subaru of America says dealer will provide you a loaner car free till the dealer gets the parts. After hassling my dealer they agreed to a full sized rental replacement for my 05 Outback. Magically the day I came in to p/u the rental they found the parts to do my car. I had the loaner for 2 days. Complain and good driving.:cool:

Subaru of America says dealer will provide you a loaner car free till the dealer gets the parts.

Where did you get that information? Was it in the letter that was sent? (Which is not in front of me right now)