LegacyGT.com

Takata Airbag recall

So far, there are 34 +/- million cars being recalled due to using the Takata airbag.

It's not like cars are getting repaired anytime soon.

I say make your passengers wear a spike on their chest so that the airbag won't hurt them if deployed.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, there are 34 +/- million cars being recalled due to using the Takata airbag.

It's not like cars are getting repaired anytime soon.

I say make your passengers wear a spike on their chest so that the airbag won't hurt them if deployed.

subaru people really care about safety. these were seen out shopping,...and when questioned were worried about shrapnel getting them in the chest or face. ....or arms, legs, ....groin.

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/resources/images/3010523/

• 8 months later...

(first, this thread is old, there are newer ones that may get you more answers)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they will. The recall "RCRIT-14V471-1857.pdf" (I think you can google it) states right near the beginning:

CAUTION: Before starting this service procedure, perform a visual inspection of both front airbags looking for any damage or abnormality. Next, turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position and confirm the airbag warning lamp illuminates then extinguishes normally. If it does not, or if ANY (emphasis theirs) concern is noted with the airbag system, STOP and report these findings to the customer BEFORE proceeding further. Any concerns identified with the airbag system (when no airbag deployment has occurred), are not related to this campaign and must be addressed separately.

Now, they do say: Even if the system has a concern, this may not preclude completion of this campaign, ...

I.e. they may be able to proceed. But, if your airbag light is already on, how can they later verify that they installed it correctly? Or you could come back and claim it was working before, and they broke it.

And if your airbag light is on, NONE of your airbags are going off (if the light is on, they're ALL disabled), so what's the point? Just getting a new airbag because you can, that'll never deploy anyway?? Just to screw SoA over for a few $$?

I guess if you're thinking of selling the car or going back to stock at some point, I could see it. Otherwise, ain't none of your bags deploying anytime soon, so no need to worry..

(first, this thread is old, there are newer ones that may get you more answers)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they will. The recall "RCRIT-14V471-1857.pdf" (I think you can google it) states right near the beginning:

CAUTION: Before starting this service procedure, perform a visual inspection of both front airbags looking for any damage or abnormality. Next, turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position and confirm the airbag warning lamp illuminates then extinguishes normally. If it does not, or if ANY (emphasis theirs) concern is noted with the airbag system, STOP and report these findings to the customer BEFORE proceeding further. Any concerns identified with the airbag system (when no airbag deployment has occurred), are not related to this campaign and must be addressed separately.

Now, they do say: Even if the system has a concern, this may not preclude completion of this campaign, ...

I.e. they may be able to proceed. But, if your airbag light is already on, how can they later verify that they installed it correctly? Or you could come back and claim it was working before, and they broke it.

And if your airbag light is on, NONE of your airbags are going off (if the light is on, they're ALL disabled), so what's the point? Just getting a new airbag because you can, that'll never deploy anyway?? Just to screw SoA over for a few $$?

I guess if you're thinking of selling the car or going back to stock at some point, I could see it. Otherwise, ain't none of your bags deploying anytime soon, so no need to worry..

Wait, all the airbags are off if the light is on? I was under the impression only the ones that are affected/not connected would be duds. I never got a solid answer about this, from what I read was people put resistors when swapping seats to trick the airbag light from coming on. However my issue is now that I swapped to 08, I was going to swap the bases so the light would turn off. However even with the 07 seat back on the light stayed on... so at the point I went on the forums and came across that only the airbag that isn't connected would be the one affected. And to get the light reset I would need to go to the dealer as they are the only ones with the tool, however they said I should swap back my 07 get it reset, then disconnect the battery swap the seat back and the light won't go on... however I never got around to it, as I was under the impression only my drivers seat airbag would be affected, not the rest.

If the 2005 Outbacks have been recalled in the US, I'm surprised my Canadian model hasn't.

I was listening to a Canadian talk show on Sirius the other day. The discussion focused on how Canada's recalls (or lack thereof) works. In the US the government demands recalls and we will get the first allocation of replacement parts. Don't hold your breath expecting this will happen in Canada anytime soon.

• 4 weeks later...
Got the recall on our CRV. Said it may be up to 2 years before we get a new airbag. In the mean time Honda is paying for us to have a Chevy Sonic. It's a nice gesture, but it's quite smaller and crappier than a CRV...waiting for the comeback of the Outback XT.

Got the recall on our CRV. Said it may be up to 2 years before we get a new airbag. In the mean time Honda is paying for us to have a Chevy Sonic. It's a nice gesture, but it's quite smaller and crappier than a CRV...waiting for the comeback of the Outback XT.

So you get a free rental for up to two years?

Yes. I know that it's ridiculous to gripe about it, but then rental isn't even close to the vehicle that we paid for.

Oh, I'd gripe too! I wonder if they'd give you the cost of 2 years of rental towards the purchase of a new vehicle :lol: If not, I'd demand a rental equal to the car I can't drive.

Oh, I'd gripe too! I wonder if they'd give you the cost of 2 years of rental towards the purchase of a new vehicle :lol: If not, I'd demand a rental equal to the car I can't drive.

I want them to buy the vehicle back and get an Outback. However, we don't need two car payments in the midst of also buying a house.

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot to post an update. I dropped my car off with the dealer and they installed the new airbag. Everything looks great and still functions, you would have never known they had the dash off.

Hats off to Prime Subaru here in NH for a job well done.

-Carlos

Here's a couple of questions I have:

2005 Legacy GT

1999 Outback

1) It's only the passenger airbag in the LGT, is the driver airbag not Takata? How do I know that's safe? Many of the news deaths have been driver airbags.

2) If the replacement is Takata, how can I know that's safe? They haven't been very forthcoming with information.

3) My 1999 isn't on the recall list, but the 2005 wasn't initially either. How do I know that one is not a timebomb?

2005 Legacy GT

1999 Outback

1) It's only the passenger airbag in the LGT, is the driver airbag not Takata? How do I know that's safe? Many of the news deaths have been driver airbags.

2) If the replacement is Takata, how can I know that's safe? They haven't been very forthcoming with information.

3) My 1999 isn't on the recall list, but the 2005 wasn't initially either. How do I know that one is not a timebomb?

I'm suspicious of the whole deal. I own a 2005 LGT Wagon and only the passenger side is recalled. My recall letter says don't let anyone ride in the front passenger seat.

Friend owns a 2006 Mazda 6. Mazda says they are recalling both airbags. Mazda doesn't warn anyone about riding in either seat. I'm thinking their lawyers are weighing the cost of providing a loaner car until the airbags can be replaced versus paying for a couple deaths/mutilations which might result.

So are we convinced Subaru driver side airbags are ok? Only one way to find out but I'm hoping that won't happen.

Subaru stated (in the NHTSA recall bulletin) that for the Legacys, Takata airbags were only used for the passenger side.

No idea if the '99 will eventually join the list.

I'm suspicious of the whole deal. I own a 2005 LGT Wagon and only the passenger side is recalled. My recall letter says don't let anyone ride in the front passenger seat.

Friend owns a 2006 Mazda 6. Mazda says they are recalling both airbags. Mazda doesn't warn anyone about riding in either seat. I'm thinking their lawyers are weighing the cost of providing a loaner car until the airbags can be replaced versus paying for a couple deaths/mutilations which might result.

So are we convinced Subaru driver side airbags are ok? Only one way to find out but I'm hoping that won't happen.

2003 Toyota Tundra, only the passenger AB recalled. So it sounds like it's all over the map.

What's the longest people are waiting to get a call back from the dealer when the airbag is backordered?

I haven't heard anything in over a month (full disclosure I forgot I even went and am going to call them today if I have a chance).

2005 Legacy GT

1999 Outback

I just got this back from Subaru.

The passenger airbag inflator for your 1999 Outback is not a Takata product. The inflator is different than the one being recalled and was outsourced to a different supplier.

The replacement inflator for your 2005 Legacy is a Takata product. I do not have information on the replacement inflator; but, I would hope that NHTSA has tested and approved this replacement inflator.

Your Legacy is affected by two open recalls, campaigns WQR-53 and WQK-47. Recall WQK-47 for the Brake Pipe. You can review details of this recall at http://www.wqk47.service-campaign.com.

• 4 weeks later...