LegacyGT.com

Takata Airbag recall

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been shared on many forums, apparently you can complain to the dealer you or your loved ones feel unsafe and they will pony up the rental. If they balk call SOA.

I just did that the other day. I'm scheduled to bring my car in next week and pick up a loaner. Hopefully that will get them to find parts too.

Speaking of which, my '05 never came with a cabin air filter.

Anyone know the P/N for the necessary bits to retrofit one in? It'll need the tray, filter and new glove box box and whatever else.

SOA342L500 if you haven't already found it. I did it a few months ago, works great, and easy as pie. All the needed parts come with that part # for about $80.

The odds of being killed by your airbag are still minuscule. The odds of the airbag saving your life are FAR greater than the the odds of it killing you. This is a classic case of risk aversion bias that people are irrationally freaking out about the airbags.

11 worldwide deaths attributed to the airbags. Certainly more injuries, but it's a very low risk.

"UPDATE 4/7/2016, 3:15 p.m.: Honda has reported a death from an airbag rupture in a 2002 Civic under recall. According to KTRK-TV in Houston, 17-year-old Huma Hanif rear-ended another car on March 31 in Richmond, Texas. Although her airbag deployed, investigators determined the crash wasn’t severe enough to kill the teenager. Her throat was lacerated by the airbag inflator and a witness described her collapsing after exiting her car. Hanif is the 11th Takata-related death worldwide, the 10th in the U.S., and the 10th in a Honda."

http://blog.caranddriver.com/massive-takata-airbag-recall-everything-you-need-to-know-including-full-list-of-affected-vehicles/

Has anyone heard that Subaru has a new procedure where they don't need to pull the entire dash. I was told this after my 4th time back in the dealer to complain about issues, they forgot to plug in the sensor for my climate control and it blew hot air constantly.

I dropped my 05' wagon off today, they told me about new procedure w/o pulling the dash. hopefully that works fine. I rather them not mess with my cubby gauges in my 08' sedan that Ill bring in tomorrow morning for the recall.

Downside would be that Ill still have dash rattle on both cars I guess.

What's the procedure w/o pulling the dash???

I think the service adviser told me they are going through the glove box to do the replacement. But not sure. Ill try to get more info when I go in tomorrow.

I think the service adviser told me they are going through the glove box to do the replacement. But not sure. Ill try to get more info when I go in tomorrow.

Makes me very suspicious. I need to look at vacation pics, but I'd totally expect some of the bolts to be non-accessible from underneath.

There is only air filter window there and the side panel gets removed too. Will check, not sure it is possible to get the airbag replaced through that opening.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I wonder if SOA came up with some hackish way where they cut into the dash from underneath and then bolt up something to replace cut parts. Given the amount of labor required to remove dash they may have invented something.

I wonder if SOA came up with some hackish way where they cut into the dash from underneath and then bolt up something to replace cut parts. Given the amount of labor required to remove dash they may have invented something.

Real question - does Subaru have to eat the labor, or does Takata have to reimburse?

So I ended up with a bunch of new parts from the breakage. They gave me a new glovebox, a new steering column cover, and a new radio/climate control. All were broken during my airbag install....

So I ended up with a bunch of new parts from the breakage. They gave me a new glovebox, a new steering column cover, and a new radio/climate control. All were broken during my airbag install....

Dam, I got scratches but nothing broke. They said they'd take care of the scratches on the dash around my cubby.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

No way Takata is responsible for the labor on replacing those. Anyone who's worked in manufacturing can tell you that it's just the part that is covered for warranty coverage.

Let's say Manufacturer A designed their cars such that they could access the airbag with two screws and less than a minute of labor, but Manufacturer B way over-engineered the car to be aesthetically pleasing but took 16 hours to fully disassemble and reassemble the interior to do it. No way they're liable for the labor involved with the dash assembly.

Now that's a careless tech...

or it could be 12+year old plastic that is fragile from all of the heating up and cooling down causing it to be brittle....

No way Takata is responsible for the labor on replacing those. Anyone who's worked in manufacturing can tell you that it's just the part that is covered for warranty coverage.

Let's say Manufacturer A designed their cars such that they could access the airbag with two screws and less than a minute of labor, but Manufacturer B way over-engineered the car to be aesthetically pleasing but took 16 hours to fully disassemble and reassemble the interior to do it. No way they're liable for the labor involved with the dash assembly.

incorrect, Tanaka knowingly continued to use defective parts so any cost associated with fixing their mistake is on them.

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai

or it could be 12+year old plastic that is fragile from all of the heating up and cooling down causing it to be brittle....

Nah, it was a careless tech. You can see my pictures here, and that wasn't all of it, my radio/climate controls got replaced as part of it as well. They didn't plug the temp sensor back in, and even after they did it blew hot air 100% of the time.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/local-airbag-recall-options-251876.html

Takata recall expanded even more today? Knew it was just a matter of time. My airbag light comes on sometimes now actually. We'll see if my vin shows up.

SUMMARY:

Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is recalling certain model year 2003-2004 Legacy, Outback, 2009-2011 Legacy, Outback, Forester, 2006-2011 Impreza, Tribeca, 2003-2006 Baja, and 2006 Saab 9-2x vehicles originally sold or that have ever been registered in Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands (Saipan), and the U.S. Virgin Islands, or "Zone A." These vehicles may be equipped with certain air bag inflators assembled as part of the passenger frontal air bag modules, and used as original equipment or replacement equipment. In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the front air bags, these inflators may rupture due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to absolute humidity and temperature cycling.

CONSEQUENCE:

An inflator rupture may result in metal fragments striking the vehicle occupants resulting in serious injury or death.

REMEDY:

Subaru will notify their owners. General Motors will notify Saab owners. Dealers will replace the passenger frontal air bag inflator, free of charge. A notification schedule has not yet been provided. Owners may contact Subaru customer service at 1-856-488-8500. Saab owners may contact GM at 1-800-955-9007. Subaru's number for this recall is TKA-16.

NOTES:

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

Edited by aigochamaloh

Interesting, saw this on Subaru's site today:

You may be aware of recent reports about recalls involving air bags supplied by Takata. Ten different car companies, including Subaru, are affected. No Subaru vehicle has driver’s front air bags supplied by Takata.

Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T), Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV (FCHA.MI), Volkswagen AG (VOWG_p.DE) and Mitsubishi Motors Corp (7211.T) are still selling new vehicles with defective air bags that will eventually need to be recalled, according to a report by a U.S. lawmaker overseeing the agency handling the largest-ever auto safety recall.

Automakers confirmed they are continuing to sell some vehicles with ammonium-nitrate inflators without a chemical drying agent, and cited engineering and supply challenges to explain why they are still relying on the faulty airbags.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-takata-idUSKCN0YN4JC

453747.png